Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #31
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Peanut allergy question, please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieJack View Post
Random allergy related question . Dd has an Ana allergy and a heart condition . We've not ever had to use her epi-pen . We've been warned that if we ever have to use her epi pen that it could cause her heart condition to kill her. My question is there any new alternative to epinephrine ?
Not that I am aware of. There is a new "pen" called Auvi-Q but its still epi. Epi is the only thing to date that stops ANA. What did they do for her in the hospital?

Advertisement

Old 09-01-2013, 05:55 AM   #32
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
Formerly: sgoe***
seller
seller

My Mood:

Technically its two different allergies and according to my allergist its rare for kids to have both.

My son is allergic to peanuts & tree nuts...so he can't have ANY nut products at all. He is so allergic that inhaling crushed nuts will cause him anaphylaxis....but he can be in the room with someone eating a PB & J and be fine. He would have to actually touch or consume the peanut butter to cause a problem. We are peanut/tree nut free at home bc of issues with hand washing & toy sharing.

TeachinAuntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:06 AM   #33
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommypockets View Post
Are the kids with peanut allergies allergic to other legumes, too? What about humus?
My son's allergies are severe & life threatening and include other legumes. He is allergic to soy, bananas, latex, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamina View Post
I must admit, I'm a bit confused by these exclusive "nut free" policies enforced by schools. There are numerous other dangerous allergens out there. Common ones. Shellfish, for example? I've never seen a school policy nix clam chowder or shrimp? People can be contact allergic to many common allergens. So why the accommodations for nut allergies only?
Nut proteins can easily become air borne. You have to INGEST an allergen to have true anaphylaxis (though this is often contested--it is what my allergist swears to be true) So, flakes of shellfish protein are less likely to float around the cafeteria, than flakes of nut protein.

Also, nut allergies are more severe reactions, are rarely outgrown, and often increase in severity each time it happens, making them more life threatening.

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I know my grandfather was severely allergic to peas. Luckily, my dd is only moderately allergic to eggs, which she should outgrow.

Scary that it can hit at any time! My MIL and I ate some hazelnuts once, and the skin on the hazelnuts was really weird. Immediately, our lips started itching, and we both broke out in hives. Since that time, whenever I eat fruit with skins, my lips puff up and itch, as well as the roof of my mouth. I wonder if I should tell my dr.
Yes, that is a serious reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
Yeah that is a fairly serious reaction- definitely tell the doc. Itchy, swelling lips will usually get you your very own epi-pen to carry. I know someone who is allergic to apple skins but not the flesh. So as long as they peel and then wash the apple their fine. The human body is an amazing and incredibly strange contraption.
Interesting. My son is allergic to fresh fruits too but we haven't figured out the "why" trigger...sometimes he can handle them, sometimes he can't. Its a bit of a pain bc he LOVES apples and so we play a bit of a guessing game.

For my son, we do not send him to daycare or nursery, my sister, SIL, and our parents are our only babysitters and for the most part they just don't feed him. He is NEVER without his epi pens.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:06 AM   #34
TeachinAuntie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Are the kids with peanut allergies allergic to other legumes, too? What about humus?
My son's allergies are severe & life threatening and include other legumes. He is allergic to soy, bananas, latex, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamina View Post
I must admit, I'm a bit confused by these exclusive "nut free" policies enforced by schools. There are numerous other dangerous allergens out there. Common ones. Shellfish, for example? I've never seen a school policy nix clam chowder or shrimp? People can be contact allergic to many common allergens. So why the accommodations for nut allergies only?
Nut proteins can easily become air borne. You have to INGEST an allergen to have true anaphylaxis (though this is often contested--it is what my allergist swears to be true) So, flakes of shellfish protein are less likely to float around the cafeteria, than flakes of nut protein.

Also, nut allergies are more severe reactions, are rarely outgrown, and often increase in severity each time it happens, making them more life threatening.

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I know my grandfather was severely allergic to peas. Luckily, my dd is only moderately allergic to eggs, which she should outgrow.

Scary that it can hit at any time! My MIL and I ate some hazelnuts once, and the skin on the hazelnuts was really weird. Immediately, our lips started itching, and we both broke out in hives. Since that time, whenever I eat fruit with skins, my lips puff up and itch, as well as the roof of my mouth. I wonder if I should tell my dr.
Yes, that is a serious reaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4 View Post
Yeah that is a fairly serious reaction- definitely tell the doc. Itchy, swelling lips will usually get you your very own epi-pen to carry. I know someone who is allergic to apple skins but not the flesh. So as long as they peel and then wash the apple their fine. The human body is an amazing and incredibly strange contraption.
Interesting. My son is allergic to fresh fruits too but we haven't figured out the "why" trigger...sometimes he can handle them, sometimes he can't. Its a bit of a pain bc he LOVES apples and so we play a bit of a guessing game.

For my son, we do not send him to daycare or nursery, my sister, SIL, and our parents are our only babysitters and for the most part they just don't feed him. He is NEVER without his epi pens.

Old 09-01-2013, 06:10 AM   #35
sojomisa
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
My dd is allergic to peanuts but LOVES kidney beans. She'd been eating them long before we knew that she had allergies.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain. - Vivian Greene
sojomisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:18 PM   #36
AbbieJack
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug_4

Not that I am aware of. There is a new "pen" called Auvi-Q but its still epi. Epi is the only thing to date that stops ANA. What did they do for her in the hospital?
They gave her an extremely small dose of epinephrine because of her heart condition it was enough to get her stable. We then had to spend the next few weeks in and out if the cardiologist office having a battery of test run to see if it had done any damage to her heart . Luckily no damage was found.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:02 AM   #37
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbieJack View Post
They gave her an extremely small dose of epinephrine because of her heart condition it was enough to get her stable. We then had to spend the next few weeks in and out if the cardiologist office having a battery of test run to see if it had done any damage to her heart . Luckily no damage was found.
hmm, She is still weight range for a Epi, jr I'm guessing? When she gets older that will be a good solution for her since it would equal a reduced amount. She has medical alert bracelets right? Either the official that the med staff has to call for info or one that says she need epi and has a heart condition effected by epi. Until she out grows the epi, jr that is probably you best bet.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #38
mommy24babes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachinAuntie

I have been dealing with this for a long time.
My allergist told me that my body mistakes the fruit proteins for those of the birch tree.
If it is cooked or frozen I can generally eat it without a reaction. For apples I can generally eat Granny Smiths but noting else. It gets worse depending on the time of year.

This is a great explanation and also shows the common groupings of cross reactive foods.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oral_allergy_syndrome
mommy24babes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 04:20 AM   #39
jbug_4
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeachinAuntie View Post
M

Another posted added a link about this but sounds like cross reactive. We did research on it the when dd started reacting to cantaloupe. She had been eating it daily for over a year so we didn't automatically assume the cantaloupe. Even though I know an allergy can develop at any time, It just didn't seem right. Especially since her face would get worse when she ate other fruit (which just turned out to be the acid from the other fruits making her already blistered- yeah it ended up with nasty blisters- face irritated. Anyway we found out the people with ragweed allergies often have trouble with melons during high ragweed pollen times. We thought ragweed since I have horrible enviro allergies. But we had her tested and she is allergic to actual cantaloupe and not ragweed. I bet if you think about it you notice a trend betwen pollen levels and when the apples bother him.