Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Cutting girl's hair short

I love little short cuts on little girls/young girls. My DD is nearing ten () and has wanted shorter and shorter hair for two years now. She is up to about chin length, bob-ish, no bangs right now. She has wavy/curly hair. We recently saw a little girl with an adorable pixie cut with a longer bit on one side. She could tuck that piece behind her ear or put a little clip in it. That little girl had straight hair. My DD LOVED the look and wants desperately to cut her hair into that style before school starts back up.

I am good with it. It's hair. I want her to feel free to experiment and try new styles. She is definitely a kid who marches to her own beat.

DH is not good with it. He doesn't necessarily want her to have really long hair, but he worries that she will regret it. He teaches middle school and he says, "EVERY girl in middle school has long-ish hair, she will want long hair and it will take too long to grow out." Well, she is not every girl, she has never minded being different.

I know this has been done before, likely overdone, but would you go with it? Can a cute pixie cut be sweet with wavy hair?

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #2
MDever
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Cutting girl's hair short

Our DD 11yo has been asking for ages to have a pixie. I am not sure she has the right texture hair for it and we can never seem to find a picture for a reference. I say go for it. Kudos to her for daring to be different!
Old 08-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
s@hmommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

It will grow back and she will get to learn her own taste! I would let her.
s@hmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

if she wants it then do it. her hair will grow back if she doesn't like it. Not every girl in middle school has long hair. most might but definitely not all

You could throw some thoughts at him too. If every girl in middle school has a boyfriend is he going to let her have one. What if every girl in middle school goes out partying does she get to too?

besides if he really thinks every girl in middle school has & wants long hair he could always pay $ for hair extensions real or fake but it will give instant long hair.

Plus the new trend is 1 side of the head shaved so only half the hair is long.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am of two minds on this. The first part I will say is that I hate long hair. My parents did not let me do what I wanted with my hair as a child, they forced me to wear it long (as in I could sit on it long) and I hated it. Now I do not wear my hair long. I shave my head. Right now I have a mohawk with bangs. That said I have curly/wavy hair that is fairly course. I have tried a pixie in the past and it will not work on me. My hair is just a mess. I have to spend a lot of time try to fix it. It sort of depends on what you mean by "pixie" though. To me pixie means a very short cut, some people mean pretty long by pixie. I will warn that long piece in front is probably going to curl on her and she will wind up having to do something with it like straightening it. Again, it depends on her hair. However I love super short hair and I pretty much let my kids do whatever they want with their own hair. My youngest has super long curly hair and my oldest has a long mohawk right now.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #6
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
if she wants it then do it. her hair will grow back if she doesn't like it. Not every girl in middle school has long hair. most might but definitely not all

You could throw some thoughts at him too. If every girl in middle school has a boyfriend is he going to let her have one. What if every girl in middle school goes out partying does she get to too?

besides if he really thinks every girl in middle school has & wants long hair he could always pay $ for hair extensions real or fake but it will give instant long hair.

Plus the new trend is 1 side of the head shaved so only half the hair is long.
Those thoughts are almost exactly what I said. Of course, he does not want her to be a follower but he worries about her regretting. I don't think she is a kid for regrets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110 View Post
I am of two minds on this. The first part I will say is that I hate long hair. My parents did not let me do what I wanted with my hair as a child, they forced me to wear it long (as in I could sit on it long) and I hated it. Now I do not wear my hair long. I shave my head. Right now I have a mohawk with bangs. That said I have curly/wavy hair that is fairly course. I have tried a pixie in the past and it will not work on me. My hair is just a mess. I have to spend a lot of time try to fix it. It sort of depends on what you mean by "pixie" though. To me pixie means a very short cut, some people mean pretty long by pixie. I will warn that long piece in front is probably going to curl on her and she will wind up having to do something with it like straightening it. Again, it depends on her hair. However I love super short hair and I pretty much let my kids do whatever they want with their own hair. My youngest has super long curly hair and my oldest has a long mohawk right now.
I mean pretty short. Well, except for the long piece. Right now she has a beaded hair wrap she wants to keep, so it would likely be reasonably long, still. And your point is my worry-- it will, in fact, be more work, but I guess straightening that one piece won't take long.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #7
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckmumto3 View Post
Those thoughts are almost exactly what I said. Of course, he does not want her to be a follower but he worries about her regretting. I don't think she is a kid for regrets.

I mean pretty short. Well, except for the long piece. Right now she has a beaded hair wrap she wants to keep, so it would likely be reasonably long, still. And your point is my worry-- it will, in fact, be more work, but I guess straightening that one piece won't take long.
I have to straighten my bangs and with a good straightener (and I don't even have a top of the line one, mine was $30 at Sally's and works even when my hair was wet in fact that was why I bought it) it only takes me maybe 5 minutes. My mohawk takes me a few minutes to style with pomade. The pixie was a mess for me personally but again, it will depend on her hair type. To me anything longer than this

http://hairstylesol.com/pixie/short-pixie-hairstyle/
isn't a pixie and mine was a bit shorter actually but I couldn't make it work. My hair is thick and course though. The only way to know if it works is to try it.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if cut it. i love short hair on girls... not pixie but bobs and inverted bobs.
homebirthmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:
She won't regret it for years to come looking back at photos and then she'll ask why you did that to her. Lol

I'd rather straighten 1 piece of hair than the wild curly long mop my & one of my kids have that takes 1 1/2 hours to straighten.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #10
D's Mutti
Registered Users

The nice thing about hair is that it grows back. If she doesn't like it in the end then all she has to do is wait.

My mom never stressed about the crazy things I did to my hair when I was young. Her words whenever I asked to get some wild color or something were (and still are lol), "Go for it. It's just hair. It'll eventually grow out (back) if you don't like it."
D's Mutti is offline   Reply With Quote