Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #21
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Cutting girl's hair short

Thanks to everyone for chiming in!!

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #22
court3189
Registered Users
seller

My daughter has a pixie cut.

Mom to Mason (3/2003) and Maddie (11/2007) and Morgan (3/2011)
court3189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #23
kej
Registered Users
seller

If she wants it short, let her get it cut.

When I was 5, I got a pixie cut. I hated it. My mom told me for years I wanted it. Finally as I'm an adult she admits my dad liked short hair and he had her get mine cut. I vowed my kids would never have that happen. If they want it cut, it will be cut. If they care to grow it to the ground, it will.

My 6 yr old just chopped off her hair to a chin length bob. This was her 1st hair cut (and her hair was not long at all) and her dad was against it. But she LOVES it. It was all her decision.
Old 08-21-2013, 04:21 AM   #24
carriek38
Registered Users
seller
seller

I do generally believe in letting a kid choose his/her hairstyle--my mom made me keep it super long for years as a young kid. I just wanted it cut to mid-back b/c I could wash, condition, and brush it myself, but it was A Really Important Thing to my mom & I didn't want to do that to my own kiddos. Fast forward nearly 30 years & I regularly tell DD (3yrs) that if she can't care for her hair herself & she won't let me do it (has a sensitive scalp & really objects to hair brushing), I'm going to have to take her to get it cut short so it's easier to care for. I don't even feel that bad about it
Old 08-21-2013, 06:28 AM   #25
amegrl520
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by iris0110
I am of two minds on this. The first part I will say is that I hate long hair. My parents did not let me do what I wanted with my hair as a child, they forced me to wear it long (as in I could sit on it long) and I hated it. Now I do not wear my hair long. I shave my head. Right now I have a mohawk with bangs. That said I have curly/wavy hair that is fairly course. I have tried a pixie in the past and it will not work on me. My hair is just a mess. I have to spend a lot of time try to fix it. It sort of depends on what you mean by "pixie" though. To me pixie means a very short cut, some people mean pretty long by pixie. I will warn that long piece in front is probably going to curl on her and she will wind up having to do something with it like straightening it. Again, it depends on her hair. However I love super short hair and I pretty much let my kids do whatever they want with their own hair. My youngest has super long curly hair and my oldest has a long mohawk right now.
Never pictured u with short hair! Lol

amegrl520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:37 AM   #26
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriek38 View Post
I do generally believe in letting a kid choose his/her hairstyle--my mom made me keep it super long for years as a young kid. I just wanted it cut to mid-back b/c I could wash, condition, and brush it myself, but it was A Really Important Thing to my mom & I didn't want to do that to my own kiddos. Fast forward nearly 30 years & I regularly tell DD (3yrs) that if she can't care for her hair herself & she won't let me do it (has a sensitive scalp & really objects to hair brushing), I'm going to have to take her to get it cut short so it's easier to care for. I don't even feel that bad about it
This is my one rule for my boys. I will let them do whatever they want with their hair with the caveat that it has to be maintained. It must be clean and groomed. That means that Tharen has to let me wash and brush his hair (within reason since his is super curly so we have a complex routine for it) or it needs chopped again and Kearnan has to maintain his own hair, washing and brushing. I will french braid Kearnan's for him when we are going out but that is it. If they can't do that then the style needs to change somehow. I don't feel like there should be a constant fight about hair maintenance or that their hair should be dirty or unkempt.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:42 AM   #27
escapethevillage
Registered Users

My Mood:

All the girls who can pick a style at that age, grow up to have really good style sense, and end up changing their hair a lot. It usually works out well for them.

You never know (when they are adults) what their hair will look like when they come visit you from week to week, but you can bet it'll be cute. Or weird...whatever. But, it's their style.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:49 AM   #28
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapethevillage View Post
All the girls who can pick a style at that age, grow up to have really good style sense, and end up changing their hair a lot. It usually works out well for them.

You never know (when they are adults) what their hair will look like when they come visit you from week to week, but you can bet it'll be cute. Or weird...whatever. But, it's their style.
And, that's pretty much who I think DD will be.
Old 08-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #29
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by amegrl520 View Post
Never pictured u with short hair! Lol
That is the funny part about these boards. You have this picture of everyone in your head and then one day it is like, "wow I didn't picture that."
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:41 PM   #30
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Reviving my thread because we did it today! School starts Tues, and she got her cut! That was a lot of hair on the floor but it looks so great on her and, more importantly, she LOVES it. The long piece is longer than she wanted it to be, but she wanted to keep a beaded hair wrap she has on that side.