Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-30-2013, 08:15 AM   #21
Dan_yell
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: 5 year old riding the bus??

My kindergartener rides the bus, BUT our bus stop is right in front of our house. Also, there are other kids on our street that ride the bus with him that are older and will help him out if he needs it. If the bus stop wasn't right in front of our house I would probably be there with him to get him on/off. Depending on how far away it was, I might leaved the younger ones asleep.

Advertisement

Old 08-30-2013, 08:20 AM   #22
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvansmom View Post
Apparently there is no bus stop on our street?? I've been working all week to get one. There are 3 kids that want to ride the bus.
where is the bus stop in relation to your street? how old are the other kids?

Here the division will add a stop IF it is on the route already. THis year they changed the routes. I don't know if they changed the elementary school one as my kids don't go to the elementary school in this area, but the middle & highschool ones changed. Last year it was 3 houses down. Now they have to either walk 4 blocks away or walk 1 block away & through a walking path. The 1 stop confuses me as it is right on a busy corner. It would be better if they picked up at the stop sign, but I'm sure they're figure that out.lol

If I wanted the stop back on my street they would not move it because that would take the bus out of the specified route adding commute time and changing the time the bus would have to start it's route.

I believe they changed the routes because there are more kids on the other streets who will be taking this bus than there is on our street. It will change again next year when the new school opens and again when these kids get to highschool age, unless it stays as a young family neighborhood.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #23
flintgirl
Registered Users

My Mood:
My kids ride the bus. We live in a very small town so all kids get picked up and dropped off at their driveway. When my daughter was in kindergarten last year she rode the bus but she also rode with her older brother. We never had any problems. The bus has kids from kinder up to 12th grade.

They are the last to be picked up and the last to be dropped off. Mornings they are on the bus for no more than 5-10 minutes and afternoons they are on it. For maybe 15-20. They get out at 3:05 are put on bus at 3:10 and get home at 3:30. Not too bad!

Now if they were on it for more than 30 minutes then I would drive them. We have one bus that doesn't drop some kids off until almost 4:30. That is way to long, but most of those kids live far out in the country.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:18 AM   #24
Mom23grls
Registered Users
seller

Give it a try... We have preschooler in my district that ride... They almost always love it!
Mom23grls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:09 AM   #25
dvansmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
He's been riding the bus a week. He loves it. I also love not sitting in carline 45 minutes with 2 toddlers.
Holly-mama to Donovan 6
dvansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:52 AM   #26
MrsCrafty
Registered Users
Formerly: mommy2wyatt
seller
seller

My Mood:

Both my 5y/o's rode the bus last year, they sat in the front, they had an hour bus ride to school. I drove when the days I could(I work pt), but they don't mind the bus. I'd always put a little notebook or workbook in their backpacks so they'd have something to do. My Dh picks them up when he get done early enough because they have an hour ride home this year too. We live very rural.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:16 AM   #27
danielle
Registered Users
Formerly: d*****
seller
seller

My Mood:

So this is the second day of school and I'm realizing they make it very difficult to drop your kid off. The school had people standing in front of the bus circle so I have to park and walk my kid in. Which wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have a 2 year old too. It actually takes longer to walk Gigi to the door than it does to get to the school.

Once my daughter gets acclimated to school and the bus on the ride home, I may have her take the bus in. I'm starting to realize that a 35 minute ride is actually relatively short. We'll see how she takes to it.