Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-29-2007, 09:05 AM   #51
mommyof4es
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: ARR What to Expect-- need to vent- what are her credentials

Quote:
Originally Posted by uoducks View Post
sorry have to disagree. Co-sleeping is dangerous.

Quote:
If you are going to accuse this book of false information you should really have some specifics available.
As should you.

Advertisement

Old 11-29-2007, 09:08 AM   #52
mommyof4es
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
exactly, some doctors are good, some are bad just like with anything.

You are showing NO evidence that these doctors who wrote this book are lying, or bad.

I don't have that built in reflex you talk about for co-sleeping. The risks far outweigh the rewards especially if the risk is suffocation, smothering,,etc.

I am speaking with first hand knowledge of this book. Since no-one here so far seems to actually have read this book....until you have..

see ya!
Holy Cow are you rude! I have all 3 books - expecting, 1st year and toddler years and I STILL don't agree with the majority of crap she spews from circumcision to weaning an 8 mo?!? She's a maroon if you ask me.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:10 AM   #53
mommyof4es
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2kaitlyn View Post
Co-sleeping is very dangerous. Not saying under the right conditions it can't be done with less danger but it is.
I have experienced what the pp mentioned..close call myself. I stopped because of this. Sorry waking up with your baby screaming and fighting because you are on her arm and close to on her body makes you stop. And no I was not drugged, drunk, etc. I was a typical new tired mommy.
Not to mention a distant family member that killed(her words not mine or police) her baby co-sleeping..she rolled on top of said child is all they can figure. It was not SIDS. She woke up to him dead next to her. She was not drunk or drugged either. And this baby was slightly older! The baby's death was labeled as accidental due to co-sleeping.
For the last time. Cosleeping is NOT dangerous under any normal conditions! My hubby who is a heavy sleeper and even puts his arm over me has never once touched one of the kids.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:30 AM   #54
logansmomma07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First, I just want to say WOW. I dont understand why some mamas have to get so mean

When my son was born, I knew nothing of AP or Dr. Sears. All I really had to go by was my mother's advice. Boy am I kicking myself now. I spent the first several weeks of my son's life laying in my bed sobbing until the sun came up, because I was "supposed" to teach my baby how to comfort himself and sleep all night. All the books, magazines, and even the TV said that also. I did not go with my instincts, and my son is the one who suffered. Think of being in a warm, cozy place, so close to mama, then one day that closeness and comfort is destroyed and you are all alone in a cold, scary room crying, and no one rushes in to tell you its okay. I can't believe I made my son go trhough that. There were some nights I would bring him into our room and he would go right to sleep, snuggling with me. I was made to feel like a horrible mother for wanting my son to feel safe and secure. So seeing you mothers who cut other mothers down for following their instincts and TAKING CARE of their children just burns my butt. Now if they were starving them or beating them, then you could get like that. But they are doing what they feel is best for their child, so honestly I feel that you have no place whatsoever to condemn any of them for that. Anyways, my son now, he sleeps in his own room most of the time. Some nights we cuddle for a little while then I put him in his bed, and during the day we take naps together. He takes longer naps and is not restless like he is in his bed. (Plus I have an excuse to sleep during the day!) I have never "almost" rolled over on him or smothered him. I know his every little movement or when his breathing changes. I love the closeness and the cuddliness we have. He's almost 8 months old, and our cuddle times have been replaced with him wanting to crawl and play with our dog's eyeballs. So our "cosleeping" is very precious to me

And good for you other mamas who cosleep and dont let anyone tell you that you are a bad mama
Old 11-29-2007, 09:34 AM   #55
logansmomma07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh- and I have the first 2 books, and I just ignore the parts I disagree with. Some things in there are helpful and informational, such as the milestones health issues. BUT, I am totally in love with my Dr. Sears books. I just sent the AP book to our cousin who is having her baby next week I don't want her to be as misinformed as I was.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:47 AM   #56
va703
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I gave up reading the previous posts...

Regarding the WTE series of books, I like the health/illness related advice (like when to call the doc for a fever) but I ignore a lot of their parenting advice. Their BF info is practically useless. The WTEWYE book was more useful to me than the books about actually raising kids.

Happy mama to my 4 handsome boys
va703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:53 PM   #57
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbolen View Post
Eh, this is just based on my experience.
I have three nephews and one niece.

One niece was BF for 3 months, one nephew was BF for 18 months, and the other two nephews were formula fed. One coslept for 9 months and the other three coslept for 2 months. They are aged 7 through 3 and if I lined them up, you'd never know which was which. They are all great kids.

I mean, you get mad when people say that you are spoiling your kid because of co-sleeping, extended BFing, babywearing, etc.....doesn't it go the same way to people that don't/can't breastfeed or don't do AP? Isn't it just as rude for you to call them out on what they aren't doing? Shouldn't you be open to their way of raising children just as you want others to be open to your methods?

I just think different strokes for different folks and most kids turn out all right if they are raised in a loving family. I BF, cloth diaper, babywear, but I'm not an AP mom. I respect those that have the time and energy to do AP, but its just not for my family.
Mine is from experience too Things that happen in your childhood do carry into your Teen/Adult years. Its pretty silly to say things you do with your child when they are little have no effect on them later on.

I have never had anyone tell me Im spoiling my kids. IF someone did I would let them know FACTS about the benefits of Extended BFing, CS, BW.

I am not calling anyone out but I WILL NOT sit and be scared of "offending" someone when they throw out very wrong info on the subjects I have spent years researching and the subjects that are PROVEN to be best for baby.

If someone doesnt want to CS - rock on - but dont say how horrid it is and write un-true things!

AP doesnt take anymore time than Non-AP for the record!

Last edited by Calideedle; 11-29-2007 at 01:56 PM.
Calideedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:58 PM   #58
nickelmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This thread makes me sick. Every time I come to DS moms bash each other left and right. Quit worrying about what other people do and just take care of your own family. Are you all so insecure with your own choices that you have to bash other mama's for their choices? Seriously be nice! I could care less who FF, BF, Co-sleep, CIO, CD, make their own baby food, buy store bought baby food, buy organic, vegan, vax, non-vax etc. It is about being a wonderful mom and nurturing mom. We are all mama's and we make the best choices for our own children. Here come the smilies!!
Old 11-29-2007, 08:58 PM   #59
mama2cody
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickelmom View Post
This thread makes me sick. Every time I come to DS moms bash each other left and right. Quit worrying about what other people do and just take care of your own family. Are you all so insecure with your own choices that you have to bash other mama's for their choices? Seriously be nice! I could care less who FF, BF, Co-sleep, CIO, CD, make their own baby food, buy store bought baby food, buy organic, vegan, vax, non-vax etc. It is about being a wonderful mom and nurturing mom. We are all mama's and we make the best choices for our own children. Here come the smilies!!

And now I'm walking away from this thread. I get really worked up about these topics and I need to be nice and calm to go to bed.
mama2cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:47 PM   #60
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post

I am not calling anyone out but I WILL NOT sit and be scared of "offending" someone when they throw out very wrong info on the subjects I have spent years researching and the subjects that are PROVEN to be best for baby.

If someone doesnt want to CS - rock on - but dont say how horrid it is and write un-true things!
Hear hear!

I want to say more, but I thik I'll just let this train crash into the mountain and be done with it.
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote