Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-29-2016, 06:32 AM   #1
coater83
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Postpartum "Girdle" Necessary or Gimmick?

Our first little one is should be arriving in about 4 weeks time...

Do I need a postpartum belly band or are these a gimmick? Reviews for the different brands range from "the most essential item ever" to "waste of money"...so it seems there is no great one size fits all solution.

Wondering if anyone else used one and found them to be helpful? If so, did you get one with shorts/underwear built in or just the true belly band and wore your own undergarments?

I personally don't care if it shows under my clothing -- those first few weeks I'm certain I won't be trying to impress anyone with my fashion anyway! It seems a lot of reviews said the item was "bulky", that's okay by me so long as bulky doesn't mean uncomfortable.

Our child will be born at a hospital, so I will receive the mesh underwear and giant maxi pads... However, most of the reviews were consistent and stated if you use one of the compression bands you want it almost immediately after birth...so my thought was if I'm going to spend the money on one of these, I should plan to take it to the hospital with us. For those of you who used one, do you agree?

TIA!

Advertisement

coater83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:46 AM   #2
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Postpartum "Girdle" Necessary or Gimmick?

I had both the thick velcro belly wraps and a compression wrap. The compression one was like a thicker spandex "sleeve" that you either had to step into or pull over your head. I got it at Motherhood I used that starting the day after i gave birth and still wear it often and my lo is 6 mos now. It was relatively inexpensive compared to the wraps and fancy ones with corsets and extras. I loved it mainly cause it made me feel more normal post baby. Im not sure if it truly helped me lose baby weight or not. Now my favorite reason for it is for nursing. I can wear it under a shirt that isnt meant for nursing and my stomach and back arent exposed when I pull up my shirt to nurse.

The big velcro wrap I tried on once and hated it and returned it.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:14 AM   #3
klnra
Registered Users
seller

It doesn't help you lose weight but I loved wearing mine because it gave me great back support. My core strength was completely shot after I had my daughter. The one I purchased was super cheap but fit really well and I would recommend it to others. You can get it on Amazon for $13 (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EI...tZL&ref=plSrch)
klnra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #4
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

I have often wondered about these too. I would love something that makes me feel normal after birth.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:05 AM   #5
eshmomma
Registered Users

My Mood:
It really helped me with recalling the control of my abdominal floor. I was raised by a mom that was always saying part of good posture is controlling your stomach. You can't do that when preggo and it's a hard thing to recall after almost a year of not doing it. I love my belt.
eshmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:34 AM   #6
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

Love mine as well! I hadn't heard of this with my first. A South American woman told me a story about her culture (can't remember which country) and how important belly wrapping is after birth. I'd used a support belt during that pregnancy, but nothing post partum. This time, I used the Belly Bandit pregnancy belt (bamboo one if that makes a difference) and I was able to use the same one post partum (no need to buy their one marketed for after IMO). It was essential the first 3 weeks. It really helped me feel supported in my back and core. I can't stop telling people what a difference it made comfort wise. Im now 6 weeks post partum, I only wear it part of the day now, and I feel like I have better core support (when I'm not wearing it) than I did 6 months post partum with my first. I vote to get it!
Old 07-29-2016, 07:53 PM   #7
GracesMama0404
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ask your OB.. I asked mine and she was like "no". I didn't need one after to be honest either. I suppose it depends on genetics too. My mom slimmed down quickly after her two pregnancies as did I. Im glad I didn't spend the money but glad I did the research
GracesMama0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:22 PM   #8
EvangeKing
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is just my opinion .... but if utilized correctly, I believe it works.

My mother always told me that back in the old village women used to get tightly wrapped by their mothers or relatives ... wasn't really allowed out much post partum .. and my mother also had to sleep on a cot that hovered over hot coals. Believe or think what you want from that but.. all I can say is, she was a size 0 after 4 kids.

I've always been one to don corsets as normal going out wear. I had a belly bandit for my second child. must say.. I should have just bought a corset instead or a waist cincher, it would have provided me with more support. Although I don't think I can give a good review on something like the belly bandit only because my son (firstborn) was almost 10lbs (gained about 50lbs overall) and I'm a small 5'2" Asian female. My abs were so stretched apart. Both my kids were natural births, no rips no tears. So maybe my body bounces back well?

I got my belly bandit used off of ebay though, so it was not a total loss. After I was done with it, I passed it onto my neighbor who told me she LOVED it.
EvangeKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:29 PM   #9
abh5e8
Registered Users

So are they good for support and helping the muscles close back together. Or for weight loss? I never had trouble losing the weight and never gain that much. (Good genetics!) But I would love to really take care of myself, so I can heal my diastasis and regain muscle tone.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:44 PM   #10
EvangeKing
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think it would be more for support. I have diastasis too and I've been doing exercises to pull them back together.
EvangeKing is offline   Reply With Quote