Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-20-2008, 11:13 AM   #11
3migirls
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: I need help/look at my budget/who the heck is Dave Ramsey?

Here in our area, there are tons of free preschool programs. I think you should check one of those out and save a lot of $$ every month if daycare/preschool is a must.

Advertisement

Old 03-20-2008, 12:44 PM   #12
drabekgirl
Registered Users

Contact your local child care assistance program see if you qualify, or see if your school has a "sliding" fee if you don't qualify. Are you or can you get on WIC (this will help your food budget)? If you can get either of these you should be able to get heating assistance and state health care too.

Unplug items around your house that you don't use or don't need often, plugged in items use electricity (toasters, stand mixers, radios, tvs etc). Check your hot water heater turn it down (if its not at 120) or have it programed to run only during off peek hours (not sure how to do that exactly).
We are a family of four living on $20-30 in groceries every week, and we have WIC, but I pressure can and we were given 2 deer (food pantries may have meat to give away in your area). I usually only shop the outside of the stores, but I skip the meat area 85% of the time.

Friends and family give us most of our clothes for our boys. See if churches in your area are having "free" or "Jesus style" sales we get a lot this way. Cheapscape's aren't so choosy that their children have to have name brand, the kids don't care.

Barter for services like haircuts, chiropractor adjustments etc. like pp sell stuff off, if the clothes are in bins and their too small for you children get rid of them have a garage sale, those books do you really need that many, DVDs and VHS you have only watched once sell them too.

Finally, give it to GOD. He is bigger than all of us and has bigger shoulders to handle our burdens.
drabekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:37 PM   #13
mamatoblessings
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I don't know where you are located, but in Alaska where I am, there are TONS of programs for low income families. There is WIC, child care assistance, the Lifeline cell phone program (if you qualify for WIC you can get your cell phone w/1200 minutes for $1.00/month + taxes), heating assistance programs (which can be used for gas or electric or both), plus others that I don't even know about. Every state has some financial assistance programs, you just have to look into them. Also, I believe that every state has Head Start for preschool which is either free or close to free for low income families. HTH
Elizabeth~ Jesus loving wife to myNathan, Mama to God's blessings Jayna-11, Quaid-9, Roanen-7, Avelyn Faith-5, Conlan-2 and 2 precious ones, Victory (10-2010) and Treasure (4-2013), in the arms of Jesus. Expecting a little rainbow blessing late Aug/early Sep Doing a lot of this to get ready! My ISO/IHA
mamatoblessings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #14
karenann33
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree too about checking into programs your state offers. I was on WIC until just recently (dh got promoted) and our kids were on the state insurance completely free with only $5 co-pays and no cost for dental or prescriptions (again our income just went over the limit) but it was sure nice while we had it (about 3 years).

My sister was on food stamps for a while but my income was never low enough for that.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:50 PM   #15
luv_my_2boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Check out freecycle.com, too. They have groups throughout the country. I have seen lots of baby/childrens stuff on there, clothes, etc. Also, are you line-drying your dipes? I recently learned that one of the biggest energy "sucks" on your home is your dryer.
Then, I agree on the grocery thing. Four of us run $75-$125, depending on wheather it is a meat-is-on-special-and-I-need-it week or not. One thing I started doing is only shopping specials and/or generics. Even @ superTarget, we're doing really well.
Last thing: can you re-fi your car?? Sometimes you can get a credit union loan for a lot cheaper rate, and spread out one year's payments over 2-3years, etc. I know this isn't a good DR thing (I don't do his stuff), but sometimes, you have to look at RIGHT NOW...
Good luck, mama. My thoughts are with you.
luv_my_2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:57 PM   #16
veggie_mama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivesmommy View Post
Another great resource.... check out the Tightwad Gazette from the library.
It's the greatest book for tips on cheap living.
Ditto.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:05 PM   #17
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoblessings View Post
I don't know where you are located, but in Alaska where I am, there are TONS of programs for low income families. There is WIC, child care assistance, the Lifeline cell phone program (if you qualify for WIC you can get your cell phone w/1200 minutes for $1.00/month + taxes), heating assistance programs (which can be used for gas or electric or both), plus others that I don't even know about. Every state has some financial assistance programs, you just have to look into them. Also, I believe that every state has Head Start for preschool which is either free or close to free for low income families. HTH
ditto to all this. you could get free daycare.

what I see from your read out is you are spending WAY TOO MUCH on food (I feed a family of 5 for $450 or less a month)
you also need to look for lower preschool. we had a preschool a few days a week and it was only $110 or less a MONTH. if you are choosing montessori then I can understand the cost. we went with YWCA.

if you car is almost paid off just keep it. don't take the loss. but just so you know $430 a month is rediculous!!!

lastly, your student loans sound too high per month. I would call and see if you can refinance or something. if need be, ask to settle any loans for a lump sum lower than what you owe.

being single with kids sucks, but you can do it.
keep that house!!! rent is a waste of money.

if you want to be a buddy sytem on this we can help eachother.
(my h is gone now too and times get pretty rough)
best of luck to you
homebirthmom is offline   Reply With Quote