Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-24-2010, 04:40 AM   #1
5PrincessMommy
Registered Users
Formerly: Mrs_Brady
seller
seller

I dont understand...

why people need to buy clothes every month. I am totally confused! I keep seeing clothes pop up in peoples budgets, and I just cant grasp it. I rarely spend money on clothes. I get the girls 1 new outfit each for the first day of school each school year, and occassionally they will get a new piece of clothing for something (like they needed a tie dye shirt for a program, but got them on clearance at walmart for 3 bucks). We get and use hand me downs, including me. Is there something I'm missing here?

Advertisement

Old 12-24-2010, 04:45 AM   #2
dshoop
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: I dont understand...

I don't buy clothing for myself every month, but with my family of 5 atleast someone needs somthing each month. You can also look at the clothing portion of a budget as broken up into 12 months even though you don't actually buy clothes each month, but you're finding an average per month, kwim?
Old 12-24-2010, 04:48 AM   #3
dshoop
Registered Users

My Mood:

I give lots of hand me downs, but rarely receive...just the way it works with the size/age of our friends' kids.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:55 AM   #4
kbz2002
Registered Users
seller
seller

I budget every month but probably only go out shopping about once or twice a year for clothes. I just save it up.

As a WOHM mom I have to have a professional look, depending on your job is if you could get away with hand me downs. I used to get hand me downs all the time from friends, etc but the items shown obvious wear. I couldn't wear that to a business meeting! As much as I hate it some people value your appearance just as much as your intelligence.

For instance when dd was little she threw something at me and it got me in the eye. I had a little black and blue mark near my eye, my boss at the time would not let me conduct my meeting I was supposed to have because she said that looked too unprofessional. Really it wasn't bad, but she was obsessive over your clothes, she also used to get mad if you weren't wearing at least one brand name label. It was appearance first with her. Needless to say I didn't last long in that department.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:15 AM   #5
lakemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have a line item in my budget every month for "clothing" that accumulates in the account then when someone needs something the cash is there and doesn't need to come out of that month's budget. With a family of 6 (the 2 oldest are on their own) we buy a fair amount of clothing and SHOES (which used to be the big budget buster for me).
lakemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 05:21 AM   #6
joy7s
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we don't get clothes every month just as needed. Sometimes we need a lot sometimes a little.. I do get a lot of hand me downs we are so blessed that way.. and my mom will get stuff @ thrift shops for my kids if I ask her to.. really we get almost all our clothes from thrift..
Spring Joy Jesus following,cding, extended bfing,tandem nursing (again!) , homeschooling, mama milk donating, semi crunchy and green mama. Unemployed ped RN married to my one and only n asl Terp since 2/16/00
my three princesses: a (6/26/04) s (9/15/06) and Z (8/5/08)
and little man Z (11/12/10)
joy7s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:34 AM   #7
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we have no one to get hand me downs from. We don't buy clothes every month but usually every season for at least the kids. I buy the large majority at yard sales and buy all of my clothes at the thrift stores. I have recently lost 42 lbs and I bought new clothes at every size as I got there as motivation and reward and I was able to buy myself a whole wardrobe for less than $40 which was worth it to me.

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:56 AM   #8
myfrugalfunlife
Banned- member requested
seller

Dave Ramsey's buget system has you budget every month for every aspect of your lives. For us we buy clothes only when the seasons change, and since we're hitting our debt hard we don't have a clothes envelope yet. When we really need something I just hit thrift shops and garage sales. This fall I spent $100 and got two kids school clothes, plus ds what he needed. I won't buy clothes again till the spring time.
myfrugalfunlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 06:58 AM   #9
bean3
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalanne79 View Post
we have no one to get hand me downs from. We don't buy clothes every month but usually every season for at least the kids. I buy the large majority at yard sales and buy all of my clothes at the thrift stores. I have recently lost 42 lbs and I bought new clothes at every size as I got there as motivation and reward and I was able to buy myself a whole wardrobe for less than $40 which was worth it to me.
Great job!!!!!! You bet that deserves new interval wardrobe pieces.

For us, we can't buy thrift store clothes, even if we were hardcore thrift store shoppers by nature. The fabric softener people use doesn't break from clothes when you wash them, so I have to buy everything new. Even further than that, a lot of times, depending on the store, at least for me, I have to try things on in the store and then buy them online. The clothes in the store have a distinct scent from the store, but the ones you receive online are virtually smell-free. (interesting, isn't it) At least the smells from the stores do wash out, but the fabric softeners from the thrift stores do not.

So people's budgets are not the same for the same reasons, which is why a budget is so personal and individualized. I buy and replace clothing as is needed by item, so in theory mine would be a monthly budget as well. Socks don't wait until once a year to wear out...they are doing that all the time. They get replaced when they wear out. Makes perfect sense to me.

Love music, need trumpet???
Look here: http://stores.ebay.com/Kalamazoo-Brass
bean3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 07:05 AM   #10
ElegantMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It seems like we buy at least once every 2-3 months. My son just hit a growth spurt so he is getting 4 pairs of pants for Christmas and my daughter is getting long sleeved shirts. In a normal month, we dont' buy a ton of clothes, but if I find a deal on something I know they will need soon I liketo have the $ available to pick it up even if its not needed right at the minute.
ElegantMommy is offline   Reply With Quote