Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
amykins
Registered Users
seller

Whole chicken recipes

I got a few whole chickens on sale for cheap! I've never bought one before, though, so now I just have to figure out what to do with them. Any ideas/recipes would be appreciated!

Advertisement

amykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:32 PM   #2
BabyLuvinMama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Whole chicken recipes

Roasting is my Favorite of all.

GINGERED CHICKEN CUBAN-STYLE

• Combine 2 tablespoons minced ginger, 3 minced garlic cloves, teaspoon allspice, teaspoon cinnamon, 2 teaspoon ground cumin, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, cup chicken broth, 2 tablespoons lime juice, cup orange juice, 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce, 2 teaspoon hot sauce and cup finely chopped cilantro in a self-sealing food bag.

• Add 1 whole (4- to 6-pound) chicken.

• Seal bag and refrigerate at least 8 hours or overnight, turning from time to time.

• Remove chicken from refrigerator 30 minutes prior to roasting to bring to room temperature.

• Heat oven to 350 degrees.

• Remove chicken from marinade and place, breast side up, in a roasting pan. (Discard marinade.)

• Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.

• Place in hot oven and roast 20 minutes per pound, or about 1 hour and 20 minutes for a 4-pound chicken.

• Check internal temperature in thickest part of the thigh; it should be at least 175 degrees.

• Remove chicken from oven and let rest for 10 minutes before carving. Garnish with minced cilantro. Makes 4 servings.
4-5lbs whole chicken
1-1/2 cups baby carrots, separated
1 large Vidalia onion coarsely chopped
2 tbs garlic
3 lbs small red potatoes, scrubbed
2 medium yams, peeled and cut into same size as red potatoes
1- 1/2 c white wine
salt
pepper
dried rosemary
granulated garlic

Preheat oven to 375F.

Wash and dry chicken. Stuff with 1/2 cup baby carrots and 1/4 Vidalia onion. Place in roasting pan with potatoes, remaining onion and carrots, evenly in pan around the chicken. Pour wine all over chicken and potatoes. Season with salt, pepper, Rosemary, garlic, and granulated garlic (to taste). Cover tightly with foil.

Roast 1 1/2 hours. Uncover; baste potatoes and chicken. Roast for additional 1/2 hour to 45 minutes or until chicken is tender and nicely browned.

LEMON - HERB ROAST CHICKEN

1 roasting chicken (3 1/2-4 lb.)
1 lg. clove garlic, halved
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. dried thyme
2 lemons
1 c. chicken broth

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Partially loosen skin on chicken breast and legs. Rub garlic halves over breast and leg meat; place garlic in cavity of chicken. Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and 1/4 teaspoon of thyme.

2. Thinly slice 1 of the lemons; insert slices between skin and meat of chicken. Cut remaining lemon into wedges; place in cavity of chicken along with remaining 3/4 teaspoon thyme. Place chicken on rack in roasting pan. Place in oven for 55 minutes.

3. For gravy, skim fat from meat juices in pan; add broth. Set pan on burner over high heat; bring to a boil, stirring to loosen brown bits. Cook for 3 minutes or until gravy is slightly reduced, stirring occasionally.

Serves 4.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
kirasgirly
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i love to clean the bird...shake and pat dry.seperate skin from body, do not remove. then in a bowl mix butter with any herbs you want. i love cilantro with chicken or if you will make a sauce try basil. *chop cilantro fine, chifinnade basil)
use either one, cilantro butter, basil butter, or any other combination. and smear it between the chicken and skin, and on the skin. sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Sometimes I stuff it and sometimes i just lay veggies like potatoes and carrots in my stoneware roaster.

Put in Microwave for 30min uncovered i guess.

usually comes out moist and tasty.
Old 08-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
zachabbycole
Registered Users
seller
seller

I sprinkle the chicken with lemon pepper, garlic salt, pepper and place in crockpot. Cook on high for 7 hours. The chicken is so tender it falls apart.
You do not need to add any liquid to the crockpot.

I got this recipe from here and is the only way I make chicken now.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
proudmama4
Registered Users
Formerly: jke**y
seller

My Mood:

I do the same as pp...in a crockpot. I generally rub w/ some olive oil, and then just throw in spices that we like. But I put on high for 5-6 hours, and no problems. I then boil the carcus for chicken stock. (I also use the juices in the crock pot for chicken stock too. Then I use the stock for soup or chicken and dumplings the next night. YUM. And homemade chicken stock doesn't have the sodium that store bought does. You can freeze the stock in ice cube trays and store in ziplock bags too.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:45 AM   #6
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I love mine roasted in the oven in an oven bag. I pat dry, rub with olive oil, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning, and rosemary. Stuff inside with same seasoning and extra rosemary. Slice an orange, apple, and onion (peel and all) stuff inside and around the bird. Bake. I use my thermometer so I don't remember how long it takes about 2 1/2 hours I think.
Ducko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:01 AM   #7
Jewelgurl137
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Usually I just put it in the oven with salt and pepper on it and bake it up. Yum! Then we have a meal of chicken, potatoes, stuffing, and all of the other good stuff that comes on holidays usually, then we eat the leftover chicken as sandwiches or in fried rice or with the leftovers from that meal. Then once it is down to being not enough for full meal anymore left on bone I throw it in a kettle and boil it for awhile then make chicken noodle (or chicken and rice lately) soup out of it. The chicken lasts like a whole week worth of meals then, so you really get your money worth out of it.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:31 PM   #8
mom2LBJ
Registered Users

My Mood:

Roast Sticky Chicken! Ive been cooking it for the past four hours

http://www.recipezaar.com/Roast-Sticky-Chicken-8782

Although I don't use a garbage bag, rather just place it into a bowel that has a tight lid overnight 1. no plastic nasties on my food & 2. no bag for the spices to stick to when removing the chicken. I also don't feel comfortable cooking it on such a low heat and then feeding it to my family, so I bump it up to 350.

and then turn it into sandwiches &

http://www.recipezaar.com/Charlies-F...h-Grapes-53508
mom2LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #9
crystalanne79
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

we cover the top in seasoning salt or chicken spice and put in the crockpot all day on low. Nothing more is needed, yum!

crystalanne79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
amykins
Registered Users
seller

Thanks for all the recipes! I made one chicken a few days ago and kinda took ideas from a few recipes and it turned out good. Next time I think I'll do the crockpot, though. It made some yummy chicken and dumplings later!
amykins is offline   Reply With Quote