Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 03-11-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
any geocache lovers here?

We love to geocache but have always borrowed GPS and went with friends. Next month we are going on a mini vacation (free lodging and free amusement park tickets of course lol) we want to geocache out where we are staying and need to know a good GPS to use and where to find cheap with updated maps etc.

Advertisement

Can't forget my 6 lil blessings!!!
ctj101502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
mrspopo
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: any geocache lovers here?

We love caching too and always make a point of caching wherever we travel

In Hawaii we found a "sausage" tree and a beautiful viewpoint to see the another island, and some awesome statues and places of local interest that we never would have found otherwise. We've also found some neat places here that we didn't know existed like a hidden waterfall, and a water garden.

Before getting our own GPS we just researched it ahead of time with google maps/aerial. Currently we just use my phone since it has GPS and an app for it. A while ago we did have a garmin GPS that was kinda spendy with all the maps and everything but honestly it was a pain. I think it was around $300 total, but it was just hard to use, hard to remember to bring with us and not really useful for anything else for us. I recently purged it and sold it for $100 on craigslist since it hadn't been touched in several years. Whatever you do, get one with an internal compass. Our first was a cheapie (a garmin vista maybe?), and you had to be walking for at least 50 feet before it could really tell where you were. So walking up a trail to a cache it was fine but as soon as you got anywhere near it it was useless and couldn't tell where you were. The newer one (garmin etrex??) had an internal compass so when you stand there it points where you need to go.
mrspopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #3
Myles_104
Registered Users

We currently use the Magellen eXplorist. It has that internal compass the pp mentioned, and we found it was accurate up to 3 ft in more places. It is actually designed specifically for geocaching. I couldn't remember what I paid so I looked it up and the MSRP is 150$
Myles_104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #4
Ducko
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Do you have a smart phone? That's what we use. We have a old GPS still works for geocaching but it doesn't update very quickly...so most the time we just end up with the phone.

Wife to Eric. SAHM to Gray(6/08), Seth(4/10), and Ellis (9/14).
Ducko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #5
Mama2ManyBoyz
Registered Users
seller

We bought one for the kids two Christmas's ago with $ from Grandma...and still haven't used it. BUT when dh buys stuff he researches it to death. We spent as little as possible while trying to get the most we could get. I'll check the brand and get back to you.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #6
ctj101502
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2ManyBoyz View Post
We bought one for the kids two Christmas's ago with $ from Grandma...and still haven't used it. BUT when dh buys stuff he researches it to death. We spent as little as possible while trying to get the most we could get. I'll check the brand and get back to you.
If you want to sell let me know.
No smart phone here, . I don't even have a cell and dh only had cheap straight talk. The reason why our vacation is cheap and looking for free things to do lol!
Thanks for info on compass and good brand!
Can't forget my 6 lil blessings!!!
ctj101502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
wooly_wonderful
Registered Users
Formerly: lxl***ca
seller

My Mood:
We use a garmin. We bought it a coue years ago for around $120. It's nothing fancy but gets the job done. If have to double check the model, but it's a little yellow one.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum
wooly_wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Teexie
Registered Users
seller

I don't know what you're looking to spend, but we have the Magellan Explorist, which I think was about $120. Before that, DH just used his phone to look up the coordinates on google maps. Then he could kind of tell where to find it based on landmarks (trees, waterlines, etc.). Could you look at google maps from a computer before you head out?
Teexie is offline   Reply With Quote