Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-10-2018, 05:25 AM   #1
diana_marie
Registered Users
seller

Advice needed on diaper brands

I haven't posted on here in several years, because I quit using cloth when baby #2 was 6 months or so. I loved it, I was just drowning in laundry, and we could afford disposables at that time, so I surrendered. I gave everything away to a grateful mama who has now used the cloth with 3 babies, so...no regrets. However, we're on baby #4, and I'm going back to cloth with this one for budget reasons. We've been given a HUGE load of cloth diapers, but I'm not familiar with a few of them. I was a prefolds w/ flip covers user before. I never got into pockets or AIOs. I really prefer natural fibers. We've been given mostly pockets, though, so I'm gonna just go with it. There's way more than I need, so I'm trying to decide what to keep. We don't have room for all of these!

What are your thoughts on Kawaii pockets, g-diapers (or g-baby?), and grovia? The grovia ones don't seem to have a pocket opening, but they also look like more than just a cover. I'm showing my ignorance here...I've just never used any of these. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement

diana_marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 06:08 AM   #2
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Re: Advice needed on diaper brands

The grovia ones are probably their hybrid shell (pocket with mesh lining). They might have a snap in insert which makes them an ai2 or you can just use them with prefolds or flats. I don't have any, but a lot of people really like them. I do have some kawaii pockets, and they're great. Not the trimmest diaper you'll find, but very reliable. They do make several different pocket diapers, and I don't totally understand all the differences, but I do like the ones I have and in general I think people like their diapers. I've never heard of g-baby.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:49 AM   #3
Tshebby
Registered Users
seller

I could never get g-diapers to fit right and they did not seem to last well. Those would be my first to go. Kawaii seemed to be a middle of the road pocket. Pretty average (to wide crotch area) fit. If you don't like the fleece pocket, you can just lay in a natural cotton pre fold instead of stuffing it. Grovia is a great brand. Crazy brand loyalty following. If you want something to recoup money..... These can sell for nearly retail even when used depending on condition and print/color. Grovia is a slimmer fit diaper. I love them for a trim fit. They make a snap in pod-like insert that also has a pul back that you just change out when baby wets. I find the inserts take forever to dry so I only used them in the early stages when I want a fast dipe change. It works as a great cover alone as well. I use flats or prefolds with mine. The mesh really helps the insert from slipping around which I Hated with my flips.
Happy to try and answer any questions you have.
Tshebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:38 AM   #4
diana_marie
Registered Users
seller

Thank you to both of you! This helps a lot!! Especially the idea of using pockets like covers...why didn't I think of that! Thanks again!
diana_marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Grovia makes AIO and AI2 (No pockets I believe). Check out their website or share pictures to see what you have. KAwaii are a less expensive brand pocket which are fine.

Pockets as covers does work if you get some prefolds but they will get smelly faster than a PUL cover. So more than one time use but maybe not as many uses as you are use to, so keep a couple more onhand than you think until you know what you need. Personally if you can find a place to store the ones you don't need you may want to keep then for a "round 2" if the elastic or velrco starts to go on the ones you choose to use initally.

I really like gDiapers for younger babies because I like the AI2 type system where you reuse the cover and with gDiapers you can often just replace the inner white pouch with the insert if there is a poop and reuse the whole thing with a pee. There can be a bit of a learning curve. Once a LO poops less the 3 part system is less needed. The white pouches sometimes need to be replaced a bit more often, you can get them on amazon.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 07:14 PM   #6
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Ah yes - I said grovia is a pocket with mesh. I meant COVER with mesh. Sorry. No pocket.
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 09:48 AM   #7
NarwhalMama
Registered Users

Talking Re: Advice needed on diaper brands

I was also given a ton of pocket diapers of various kinds and other random bits. I already had bamboo prefolds and a few covers (but not many), so I am stuffing some of the pockets with prefolds, using others as covers, and just rotating through all of it so they get equal use. I'll give you a quick rundown of what I have and think about them in case this is usefully to you or anyone else.

BumGenius: The majority of whay I was given is this brand. The pocket diapers wash well and stuff well. I have some AIOs (everything sewn in) called Elementals. They are much trimmer than the pockets. They also are cotton, and less absorbent than my bamboo prefolds. 4 months old, and they have leaked several times. I'm torn between spending money on boosters to make something that was free work for me or just setting them aside with the other newborn stuff that she's outgrown.

FuzziBuns: Not sure if these pockets are made anymore. I use them just as covers, and don't stuff them. Much trimmer, but I have a feeling my LO will grow out of them faster than the rest. I don't hate them, but not my favorite.

Lil Helper: This is a Canadian company. I have an AI2, which means the insert snaps into the cover, however, the cover is also fabric lined so you usually can't reuse the cover. Very frustrating. I do not recommend it. If you like the idea of pocket diapers, but don't want to stuff, I would get some AI2s that have the wipeable surface on the inside.

Diaper Safari: This pocket diaper has the interesting option of stuffing it from either side. It also has crossover snaps for smaller babies. After using the (free) pocket for awhile, and liking the fit, I might buy a couple in cover form.

Kawaii Baby: By far the easiest to stuff. And they work well. They are just much wider than my LO needs. Would be awesome on a bigger or curvier baby. I'm going to save it for when she's a little older.

Baby Kicks: I am also not sure if these are discontinued, but I hope not. They are much trimmer, and are a little bit of a pain to stuff, BUT they are awesome. I hate hate hate the hook and loop (aplix/velcro) on the majority if diapers. I have most if these in both hook and loop and snap versions. However, I love it on the Baby Kicks. If you have a care provider (husband or otherwise) who just can't get the hang of cloth, a stuffed Baby Kicks pocket pre-snapped to the correct rise is about as close to how a disposable works as you are going to get. They are intuitive and almost fool-proof. Definitely recommend.

Nicki's Diapers: I have these as covers. The one-size gets down smaller than you'd think because of crossover snaps. If you have a bigger baby at birth you might not need a newborn cover at all and could maybe go straight to these. I had a 7lb baby, and they were a little too big until she was 9-10 lbs. Good middle of the road option.

Rumparooz: I would consider this a "luxury" brand, or getting close to it. You do get what you pay for, and I've seen more expensive, but if you're on a budget I might get something else. I don't exactly regret the money I paid for these, because they work really well, but I wish I had bought a few cheaper brands also.
NarwhalMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:53 AM   #8
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarwhalMama View Post
I was also given a ton of pocket diapers of various kinds and other random bits. I already had bamboo prefolds and a few covers (but not many), so I am stuffing some of the pockets with prefolds, using others as covers, and just rotating through all of it so they get equal use. I'll give you a quick rundown of what I have and think about them in case this is usefully to you or anyone else.

BumGenius: The majority of whay I was given is this brand. The pocket diapers wash well and stuff well. I have some AIOs (everything sewn in) called Elementals. They are much trimmer than the pockets. They also are cotton, and less absorbent than my bamboo prefolds. 4 months old, and they have leaked several times. I'm torn between spending money on boosters to make something that was free work for me or just setting them aside with the other newborn stuff that she's outgrown.
you could try other things as doublers rather than spend the money. You could use the newborn MF under the cotton. You could try wipes, I have some hemp fleece wipes that hold about 2 oz. Or a old wash cloth. Check the absorbancy for things and find something that holds between 2-4oz of liquid saturated. often times that is all a doubler has anyway.
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Pixi6s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 08:14 AM   #9
kammi79
Banned

Crazy brand loyalty following
kammi79 is offline   Reply With Quote