Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
I want to SCREAM!!

Seriously! Or throw my scale through the window! lol

Have been doing C25K for almost 3 weeks, following a decent food plan at 1200-1300 cal/day (even measuring so I know how much is right), trying not to die on the bosu ball, using weights and resistance with dh, and this strange lazy-susan thing from bally that I call the "spinny wheel of death"! lol

I am up 3lbs from the start. :-( I am sooo frustrated! Basic math - if calories in are less than calories out, you lose weight. Apparently not me. HOW is that even possible?? Could I have gained more muscle than fat lost? Is there even a medical issue that could cause such a strange imbalance??

I'm not seeing huge inch loss around the middle, but my arms and legs are looking way better. I am running further, faster and easier, so I am healthier but not smaller.

I decided to restart Atkins today. It is the only "diet" I've ever lost weight with. I lost almost 50lbs last time and have been stuck in the same 10lb cycle for 3 years.

Wish me luck because all I wanted to do when I got off the scale was cry into a tub of Ben and Jerrys!! lol

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

Advertisement

Old 05-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #2
bezark
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
If you're doing all that exercise I'd say 1200-1300 calories is just not enough and you may be in starvation mode, coupled with some muscle gain. Have you tried upping your calories for a while?
Old 05-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
corinne76
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bezark
If you're doing all that exercise I'd say 1200-1300 calories is just not enough and you may be in starvation mode, coupled with some muscle gain. Have you tried upping your calories for a while?
What she said. Look up eat more to weigh less for tons of info. Your body needs about 1200 cal to just function. If you eat that much, plus burn off some of that, your body freaks and thinks it wont get enough to sustain life, and holds on to what it can. Others can explain to waaaay better. Try upping calories for awhile and i bet you will break your plateau.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
happysmileylady
Registered Users
seller

Re: I want to SCREAM!!

I am thinking that you aren't putting OUT as many calories as you think you are. If you are only taking in that many calories, your body is probably hoarding them with all that working out, thinking you are starving.
happysmileylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #5
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by happysmileylady
I am thinking that you aren't putting OUT as many calories as you think you are. If you are only taking in that many calories, your body is probably hoarding them with all that working out, thinking you are starving.
You're probably right. I checked the treadmill and I burned 137 calories this morning. My fitday app says I burned 188. It's not a huge difference, but if it's off 30-50cal each activity, then it's probably off on my base rate too and that could add up to 3-400 calories I only "think" I'm burning.

I found my tape and waist is down 2", abdomen (the bad zone) is down 3" and my hips (yay) are down 4"!!

So I guess it's working and my summer clothes were just tighter than I thought! lol

I will adjust my activity level in fitday down a notch so I can account for the error in cal burned. Thanks for talking me down. A new window costs way more than new clothes!

Old 05-24-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
savingmomof2boys
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontariomama View Post

You're probably right. I checked the treadmill and I burned 137 calories this morning. My fitday app says I burned 188. It's not a huge difference, but if it's off 30-50cal each activity, then it's probably off on my base rate too and that could add up to 3-400 calories I only "think" I'm burning.

I found my tape and waist is down 2", abdomen (the bad zone) is down 3" and my hips (yay) are down 4"!!

So I guess it's working and my summer clothes were just tighter than I thought! lol

I will adjust my activity level in fitday down a notch so I can account for the error in cal burned. Thanks for talking me down. A new window costs way more than new clothes!

I am going to agree with everyone else who is saying that you probably need to eat more. If you restrict calories to much, your body goes into starvation mode and holds on to fat. You will also find it very hard to get out of a plateau.

I also would not go by what he treadmill says, for calories burned. They are not accurate. To get a more accurate reading, you will need to use a heart rate monitor.

Join me on Swag Bucks to earn Free Giftcards!

Also Earning CASH with Jingit!!
savingmomof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:27 PM   #7
savingmomof2boys
Registered Users
seller
seller

Oh, and stay away from the scale. Those things are evil . Go by how you feel and how your clothes fit.

Join me on Swag Bucks to earn Free Giftcards!

Also Earning CASH with Jingit!!
savingmomof2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:10 PM   #8
briggsy13
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree that you probably aren't eating enough calories. It is good to see the inches going down though. How many calories does your fitbit have you burning all day?
Old 05-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #9
crunch!910
Registered Users

I feel you! I'm so frustrated and very very very close to buying some diet pills!
Old 05-24-2013, 03:26 PM   #10
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by briggsy13
I agree that you probably aren't eating enough calories. It is good to see the inches going down though. How many calories does your fitbit have you burning all day?
My base rate is 2700/day. Does that sound even remotely right? I'm 5'7" and 160.2 as of this morning. I work 60hrs a week in a group home, so not much sitting and a LOT of up and down the stairs. I'm aiming for 500-700 exercise/activity calories, depending on where I am in my schedule.

That's where I was confused. Anything UNDER that would show some weight loss by now. I was looking at 2700-1300 is 1400 cal/day so at least 2-2.5lbs a week....

I'll up to 1500 with an Atkins shake (the caramel macchiato is to die for) and a greek yogurt.