Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2014, 06:08 PM   #1
mandamomx4
Registered Users

Anyone have any experience with applying for IHSS

This process seems as daunting as applying for SSI and from i understand we will get denied and have to appeal.Was wondering if anyone else has applied or had experience with it.My daughter is only 4 though and they seem to want her to be older.

Advertisement

mandamomx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
Madisanblu
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Anyone have any experience with applying for IHSS

Hi, I live in California and this post came up while doing a Google search for people like myself who are going through the IHSS process. I even forgot I was a member here since my last login was 2010! Anyway, I recently applied for my son and got the same crap you got about him being too young (he just turned five in August). I'm waiting on the denial letter so I can appeal but have already spoken to someone at Ihssadvocates as well as found lots of info online so hopefully we can come together and help each other through this process while also sharing what we know. I think I can pm on here so I'll try that now so I can share more personal details with you. I do know that they lied and I even spoke to a supervisor last week who told me that "Typically kids don't get protective supervision but it depends on the child and each child is evaluated based on their own limitations." Funny because the employee that came out told me that "children don't get protective supervision because you would have to watch them anyway". I knew she was lying but it's okay, everything will work out in the end. Also, my son has Autism and is non-verbal, still in diapers, elopes and has severe sensory/behavioral problems...but the worker said that none of that mattered because he is normal and will grow up to be more normal. Smh. I knew she was ignorant about Autism and children at that very moment.

**Turns out I can't pm on here cause I don't have 6 messages or something even though I've been a member for over 4 years lol.

Last edited by Madisanblu; 11-04-2014 at 08:04 PM. Reason: spelling
Madisanblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 09:54 AM   #3
bellx1
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madisanblu View Post
Hi, I live in California and this post came up while doing a Google search for people like myself who are going through the IHSS process. I even forgot I was a member here since my last login was 2010! Anyway, I recently applied for my son and got the same crap you got about him being too young (he just turned five in August). I'm waiting on the denial letter so I can appeal but have already spoken to someone at Ihssadvocates as well as found lots of info online so hopefully we can come together and help each other through this process while also sharing what we know. I think I can pm on here so I'll try that now so I can share more personal details with you. I do know that they lied and I even spoke to a supervisor last week who told me that "Typically kids don't get protective supervision but it depends on the child and each child is evaluated based on their own limitations." Funny because the employee that came out told me that "children don't get protective supervision because you would have to watch them anyway". I knew she was lying but it's okay, everything will work out in the end. Also, my son has Autism and is non-verbal, still in diapers, elopes and has severe sensory/behavioral problems...but the worker said that none of that mattered because he is normal and will grow up to be more normal. Smh. I knew she was ignorant about Autism and children at that very moment.

**Turns out I can't pm on here cause I don't have 6 messages or something even though I've been a member for over 4 years lol.
Not entirely sure on the process, but I live in California and work as an in home pediatric nurse for severly disabled children. I know that Regional Center has caregivers that take care of Autistic kids. I think you need a referral from your doctor for regional center but not sure. A quick google search for your county regional center should get you their contact info and they should be able to explain the processes further to you.
Expecting #4 August 2015
bellx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #4
Madisanblu
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks bellx1 for the reply. My son has a caseworker at the Regional Center but they don't have anything to do w/ IHSS. I actually have a great caseworker there and my son receives ABA and Respite through them. The IHSS program would allow me to stay home and get paid to care for him since I can't work anymore. I'm not sure about the OP's situation though.
Madisanblu is offline   Reply With Quote