Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 09-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #1
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
Daughter "may" have dyslexia...

My 6 year old has really been struggling with reading. I don't know how to help her so we just read and read....I make flash cards of her word wall words, and we sound out the words she has trouble with but she is still having trouble. She failed a few spelling tests and the only thing that is readable is her name. Her teacher is a friend of mine and I mentioned my concerns and asked how else I could help her. She told me she may be dyslexic, but that she is still doing some screenings on her and she will meet with me after to go over it.

I know nothing about dyslexia.....I've heard the brain mixes up the letters but thats all. I only just learned this so I'm going to dive head first in to Dr Google later but is there anything I need to know? Any signs or anything I should look for? Any helpful apps? Anything at all?

Thank you mamas!

Advertisement

Old 09-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
ecbcmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My son is 9 and I think he has it too. I have asked the schools for help and they say its up to me to take him to find help. I'm so glad your son may get the help he needs.
I go over spelling words with every night. It's always a fight though. Last year his teacher was great and she would verbally retest him any words he got wrong. Usually he would get them right that way. This year it's changed. I think he writes them better than saying them.
I know the school supposed to help on this, but basically bent struggling enough in their eyes to need an iep so it doesn't matter.
I just push on and try to make him do his best, some weeks are better than others.
ecbcmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:35 AM   #3
missydawn
Administrator
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Re: Daughter "may" have dyslexia...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecandi View Post
My 6 year old has really been struggling with reading. I don't know how to help her so we just read and read....I make flash cards of her word wall words, and we sound out the words she has trouble with but she is still having trouble. She failed a few spelling tests and the only thing that is readable is her name. Her teacher is a friend of mine and I mentioned my concerns and asked how else I could help her. She told me she may be dyslexic, but that she is still doing some screenings on her and she will meet with me after to go over it.

I know nothing about dyslexia.....I've heard the brain mixes up the letters but thats all. I only just learned this so I'm going to dive head first in to Dr Google later but is there anything I need to know? Any signs or anything I should look for? Any helpful apps? Anything at all?

Thank you mamas!
6 is young to start diagnosing dyslexia truthfully. Children learn to read at different ages, some are natural readers and will pick it up between 4-5 others take until 8-9. At 6 children a lot of times get things mixed up so that wouldn't concern me. If you want something more at home to try to help her and know a lot of mamas that use hooked on phonics at the younger ages.
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:25 PM   #4
christinelynn
Registered Users
seller

My husband is dyslexic and one of the "tests" is to have children draw in the path of an infinity sign. They're supposed to keep on the same path the entire time, so that even after drawing for a few minutes the line is still clear. Children with dyslexia will commonly end up with just a page of scribbles. I'm not sure what age this starts working for, but he was dx at 8 years old. This is just used for "testing" and training, though- not necessarily diagnosis.
christinelynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:39 PM   #5
kyriealaisa
Registered Users
seller

My 13yr old brother has dyslexia. He was held back in kindergarten because of problems learning letters and numbers. He got over that hurdle with work. He's always had problems in math though. In his case, he learns differently, through association. Just seeing it done isn't enough, he comes home and my stepfather breaks it down for him in a way he can understand. Which is normally Minecraft related (he's a videogame geek lol)
kyriealaisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 10:01 PM   #6
jodiarch
Registered Users

My Mood:

I have dyslexia and it really isn't that big of a deal. We just learn differently. Hook on phonics will not work with us. Just say the word and have them memorize it. And have them read a lot. Spelling will always be an issue if they can't sound it out, like me. Most do better with numbers. Just make sure they know they mix up the letters and will have to check homework twice to make sure it is done right. Especially when you have to circle the right answer like a, b, c or d. Sometimes we think b and circle d. I learn to double check.
jodiarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 12:20 AM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Dyslexia must run in families. My grandmother, uncle, sister, and brother have it. So does my husband. Anyway a lot of hard work, a lot of repeating things. A lot of double checking things. A diagnosis really helps as most of my family went undiagnosed and just assumed they were too stupid to learn.

The one who overcame her issues the best was my sister. She was one of the first 4 of my mother's children. 3 of the 4 of us were early and avid readers reading at college level by 4th-5th grade. She of course struggled. Determined to be like the rest of us she fought tooth and nail to become a good reader despite her difficulties. She succeeded admirably. I think in many ways it was a hidden blessing for her. It taught her to fight for what she wanted and not to give up. The rest of us had the tendency to give up when the going got rough. Learning to fight for what I want has been a long hard struggle. It was something she learned as a child.

Anyway dyslexia can be difficult to work with but it isn't necessarily a totally bad thing as hard as it is to watch your child struggle.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote