Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2015, 06:03 PM   #1
Mommy2JandS
Registered Users
seller
seller

SPD kid with sleep issues

My 7 year old has Sensory Processing disorder and anxiety. He has horrible sleep issues. At age 2 we started using melatonin to help him fall asleep at night. It works for him. The problem is that he wakes up in the middle of the night sometimes and it is next to impossible for him to go back to sleep. Just this week he woke up at 3:30am and that was the end of his night. Even though he stayed in bed until 7:30 he never went back to sleep. I wonder if he gets overstimulated and that's why he can't sleep, but really I have no idea. Anyone else deal with anything similar?

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2015, 08:50 AM   #2
Suzi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: SPD kid with sleep issues

My youngest has been a rough sleeper and we have had to change our interventions over time. White noise was the biggest help when he was that age. We got a cheap white noise machine and played it all night.

We experiemented with clothes. we tried loose, no clothes, and under armour compression tops and bottoms. The compression clothes seeemed to really help him get into a better routine, he was around 7 when I used that. We have also used a weighted blanket too. We played around to find the best temp for him too. Once we get him into a good routine we woudl be set for 6 months or so but it was getting a few nights in a row of sleeping through the night.

We did try melatonin for awhile too and it did help him fall asleep but seemed to make his night time worse, but he wasn't wakening up every night.

He's not waking up in the middle of the night now but he gets up around 5am :/

Last edited by Suzi; 02-11-2015 at 08:52 AM.
Suzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #3
ralenth
Registered Users

My oldest has aspergers, aADHD, anxiety and sensory issues. He's always had sleep issues. He takes melatonin at night, and that helps. He also has a white noise machine, and here? The thing that helps most is our dog. We have a 20 lb cavalier, and if he's having a bad night, letting the dog sleep with him always helps.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:08 AM   #4
MamaBink
Registered Users
seller

My 9-year-old has SPD and sleep has always been elusive for him. His therapist recommended trying the extended release melatonin. We buy Natrol brand and the bottle has a purple label.
L born 01/11
MamaBink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:54 PM   #5
Mommy2JandS
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBink View Post
My 9-year-old has SPD and sleep has always been elusive for him. His therapist recommended trying the extended release melatonin. We buy Natrol brand and the bottle has a purple label.
I actually just ordered this for my son this week! Hoping it will help break the cycle of waking up that we are currently in.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:01 PM   #6
Mommy2JandS
Registered Users
seller
seller

The time release melatonin did nothing, so we decided to try a higher dose of regular (non time release) melatonin. We gave 5mg last night and he slept through until 7:15am. Best we've seen in the past 2 weeks! Going to try the higher dosage again tonight.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:42 PM   #7
sunnymommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

A suggestion for all parents of spd/anxiety/sleep issues kiddos. Dd2 was really bad. Started melatonin and it at barely 4. But at 5 she was tested for celiac and her numbers were sky high. Totally surprised me that removing gluten majorly resolved these issues. Doesn't hurt to just have your ped run the celiac panel blood test
sunnymommy is offline   Reply With Quote