Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #41
essential1892
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Children Before Marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrnme View Post
We had 3 kids before we married. We meet in highschool lived together since 16. Our first was born 4 years later. We had never intended to marry but found it was so much easier for insurance and what not. We went to Vegas and had a very nice visit with Elvis 9 years ago. We didn't tell our families till it was all said done and legal lol. 3 years after we were married along came our 4th baby. I agree with the mama that said for us it's just another day.
I am so jealous that you went to Vegas. I would have loved to do that but feared the wrath of my mother in law. I really wish that I ignored her and just did it because it would have been so much easier and fun. Good for you!

Advertisement

Old 10-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #42
neonalee
Registered Users
seller
seller

DH & I were together about 3 or 4 years & living together over 2, when we decided to try for a baby. We were both divorced, him with a daughter, me without any children. We knew we wanted to be together permanently but weren't ready for "marriage" then.

We just got married this past summer, 5 days after DS's birthday. We had it in a small chapel with clothes we already owned and no attendants. A friend became ordained so he could perform the ceremony we wanted. Any friends/family in town were invited. We had a pool party for the "reception". Friends brought beer. It was perfect.

Sent from my phone using DS Forum

I Swagbucks
neonalee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #43
Kaylazo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonalee
DH & I were together about 3 or 4 years & living together over 2, when we decided to try for a baby. We were both divorced, him with a daughter, me without any children. We knew we wanted to be together permanently but weren't ready for "marriage" then.

We just got married this past summer, 5 days after DS's birthday. We had it in a small chapel with clothes we already owned and no attendants. A friend became ordained so he could perform the ceremony we wanted. Any friends/family in town were invited. We had a pool party for the "reception". Friends brought beer. It was perfect.

Sent from my phone using DS Forum
Aw I love the idea of a ceremony like that and awesome pool party idea! So great.
Kaylazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:37 AM   #44
beyoung
Registered Users
seller

My now husband and I had been living together for about 3 years when we decided to start trying for a baby. It took us over a year before we finally conceived DS1. When DS1 was about 2 years old, I got a job in the United States. In order for my sons father to legally move to the USA with us, we had to be married. Common-law relationships aren't recognized by the USA when it comes to immigration. He also wouldn't have been covered by my health insurance/benefits that I would be getting through my new job unless we were married. So, 2 months before our big move, out of necessity, we started planning a wedding. We got married a month before we moved at my mother-in-laws house with about 30 of our closest friends and family members (and DS1 of course) present. We had a blast and it was kind of like having a going away party before we left. We are still quite happily married and have since had another son. I often wonder if we'd be married or not at this point if I hadn't gotten that job in the US!
Old 10-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #45
jenbo831
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had my 3 before marriage. We were together for 5 years when I got pregnant with my first. Lived together for 4 of those. We've been together for almost 11 years now, married last December.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:45 AM   #46
NancyKraz
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylazo View Post
How many of you had a child or children before marriage? Did you eventually marry the person you conceived with? Plan on it? Or did you marry someone else? Curios! TIA.

xo.
This is an interesting topic and I'm not sure there is a right or wrong answer. I myself was a year old when my parents married and they have been married for over 30 years, so they are a testament to me that it can certainly work. That being said I have a few friends who are a mixed family, not unsimilar to the Brady bunch where each person brought children in to their relationship. I don't know if there is a right or wrong way.
NancyKraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:46 AM   #47
Kaylazo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyKraz

This is an interesting topic and I'm not sure there is a right or wrong answer. I myself was a year old when my parents married and they have been married for over 30 years, so they are a testament to me that it can certainly work. That being said I have a few friends who are a mixed family, not unsimilar to the Brady bunch where each person brought children in to their relationship. I don't know if there is a right or wrong way.
Thanks for sharing. That's a great story... and you're right, there's no "right" or "wrong" but it's interesting to hear success stores vs. other outcomes (I don't want to say "failure" because I would consider fallen relationships or marriage that).
Old 10-21-2013, 06:02 AM   #48
Ber10512
Registered Users
seller

What a great thread. DH and I are expecting our first in April, and we've been married for a year this month. We were together almost 2 years before we got married, and had both been married once before (but no children.) When we tied the knot, we had a small ceremony (around 25 people) on an old abandoned bridge with a beautiful view and then our reception was a nice dinner & party bus. It was a GREAT time! Like a PP mentioned, it is so much easier to be married as far as insurance, home ownership, wills, etc. are concerned.

My parents on the other hand, had my brother 6 months before they got married and they're going on 33 years. It all definitely depends on the relationship!
Old 10-21-2013, 08:17 PM   #49
Kaylazo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ber10512
What a great thread. DH and I are expecting our first in April, and we've been married for a year this month. We were together almost 2 years before we got married, and had both been married once before (but no children.) When we tied the knot, we had a small ceremony (around 25 people) on an old abandoned bridge with a beautiful view and then our reception was a nice dinner & party bus. It was a GREAT time! Like a PP mentioned, it is so much easier to be married as far as insurance, home ownership, wills, etc. are concerned.

My parents on the other hand, had my brother 6 months before they got married and they're going on 33 years. It all definitely depends on the relationship!
LOVE that you got married on a bridge. So cool.
Old 10-21-2013, 09:42 PM   #50
sierrarv
Registered Users

Last edited by sierrarv; 10-21-2013 at 09:43 PM.
sierrarv is offline   Reply With Quote