Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-26-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
Emma's mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
any info on CPSIA laws

Any info would be great. Thanks!

Advertisement

Emma's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
Labe90
banned

My Mood:
Re: any info on CPSIA laws

Have you done a google search? All the information you can ever need is out there and available.
Labe90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
Emma's mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have done a google search. That's where the two links included came from. I was wondering what other mom's were doing about it, how it is affecting WAHM moms, to make sure that I was understanding it correctly. I've read about it and it seemed like it was going to make it impossible to do crafts and craftshows that would be marketing children's products, ei the nursing covers, wipes, wetbags, hairbows, slings, wraps aprons etc. But I see so many people still selling I was wondering if I misunderstood and there was a loophole allowing WAHM moms crafts. The law says each material in a product would need to be tested making it impossible to sell a hairbow for $5 when it would be approx $300 to test the ribbon, $300 to test the clip etc.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
WeeEssentials
Registered Users
Formerly: cmarie14
seller

My Mood:

I answered your earlier post with the same initial question, but for post #3 about the people still selling - they are either 1. buying supplies from suppliers who claim their supplies comply with the law, 2. don't know about the law, or 3. don't care. What you said about the expense is accurate, plus the testing facilities have basically told Handmade Toy Alliance members who attempt to get their items tested that the testing facilities neither have the time nor inclination to test for such small companies, because it's not as profitable for them. The whole thing is a mess!

Make it reusable! Wipe Solution, Wipes, Mama Cloth, Wet Bags, Unpaper towels, Food Baggies, & more!
WeeEssentials on Etsy
Gabe 3-06, Ezra 9-08, & Madeline 5-10 and Abigail 12/12!
WeeEssentials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
Emma's mom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks! I agree it's a mess! So many people I've talked to didn't even know about the laws and looked at me like I was dreaming, so I was hoping to get some straight answers here since this is a community of many WAHM moms. I personally would buy WAHM products and think this law is taking away from parents being able to use common sense and decide for themselves who they want to buy from. But since I heard about the law before I went into business, I really feel I should comply. Any info on where to buy products that comply? Can you buy compliant products and then bypass your product being tested or do you need to buy compliant products and still be tested? I will continue to do some searching. I am looking for a way to be able to still make products for craft shows, an etsy shop, etc and still make children's products. I was really looking forward to it!
Old 03-01-2010, 10:20 PM   #6
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

Etsy has a forum soley devoted to CPSIA. Check it out. There is also a thread on there called "everything you need to know about the CPSIA. Things have changed a bit since it was started, but the community keeps adding to the info throughout the thread.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
summerlovinmomma
Registered Users
seller

Maybe I need to search more, but the last thing I read said something about not needing to test fabrics, unpainted wood, things like that. Does that sound right, or do I need to keep researching?
Megan, wife to Brian, ; momma to my girls and expecting our first little boy! Summer (8.11.09), Clara (11/3/11, NUVBAC), Sadie (born on her due date 3/2/15, NUVBAC), and Luke due 4/16/17 (Anti-E pregnancy)

Homeschooling, musical, crunchy mama!
summerlovinmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
myblessedbaby
Registered
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerlovinmomma View Post
Maybe I need to search more, but the last thing I read said something about not needing to test fabrics, unpainted wood, things like that. Does that sound right, or do I need to keep researching?
You are right. There is a list of exempt materials which does include fabric and wood in it's natural state. If something you use isn't on the exempt list, you just need proof from the supplier that it passes the lead levels. 3rd party testing has been delayed again until 2/2011.
And even if you are making something of totally exempt materials you still need a tracking label.

There's more to it that this, but that's pretty much the gist.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #9
Chessie
Registered Users
seller

The government has a website and everything is pretty much explained just a lot of reading, and confusing loopholes. http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/cpsia.html

Heres the direct link for the gov site for small businesses http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/smbus/cpsiasbguide.html

The two main things are regarding lead and phthalates. Mainly you have to worry about painted things that can be scraped. So any screen prints or painted metal or wood. The phthalates are the chemical used to make plastic soft so in diaper supplies that could mean laminated things. But fabrite has a certificate of compliance.

The other annoying legal things besides the tracking label, are a care label, and fiber content. A care label is supposed to be on for the life of the garment but the fiber can be just detachable. There are some other exceptions such as completely custom items and completely reversible items can have a detatchable care label.

And there there are some saftey concerns, like making sure not to have drawstrings longer than 3 inches and has to be secured at the back, lockstitching on labels on bibs, no small parts that can easily detatch and choke on.

And lastly, anything that you claim is organic get a copy of the certificate from your supplier that it really is organic.

Like the pp post was saying a lot of this is directed at the big companies. And worries are over kids chewing on products and getting lead poisoning. Children have died choking on drawstrings that got stuck in something. These laws are to hopefully keep them in check so when something horrible has happened it doesn't just keep happening just because they want to make a big buck. Here's a site I've been using a lot that lists suppliers who have compliance certificates. http://cpsia-compliance.blogspot.com/ Plus you might find even more if you just ask your supplier.
If you have specific questions feel free to pm me, I work in a testing lab.