Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-30-2012, 05:05 AM   #51
addicteddad
Registered Users

Re: Are my children monsters? :(

That server was rude, and not very bright either.
As everyone has mentioned, those items have been handled by multiple 'dirty' hands before they ever made it to the table, that's why they are sealed. DS is only 16 months old, so we avoid letting him play with any restaurant items on the table. But, tbh, not because we're afraid he might make them dirty, we're afraid of how filthy they already are!
I'm a server as well, and I can't tell you how gross salt & pepper shakers get after just one night of use by grown adults...disgusting. Hell, in Louisville, KY I remember waiting on Paul Hornung (famous QB) and he would always dump out the sugar caddy when he ordered iced tea or coffee and literally rummage through the packets like a ham fisted toddler when sweetening his drink. He was a sloppy eater, and rude to boot.
Yes, sugar packets can get wet if put in a baby's mouth, so I would hope parents wouldn't allow that, or at the least, make an effort to not let them get back in the caddy with the rest. Jelly packets don't seem like much of a big deal. I've never, ever seen them completely cleared and replaced at ANY breakfast establishment I've been to. Most tight wad restaurant managers would flip their lid at the thought of throwing out items like that.

Honestly, I would have have called that server out on her stupidity, and asked her if everything on the table is handled with gloves, if every table is watched diligently to ensure nothing is handled and reused, or is she just a bitter person who hates her job and takes it out on those she serves.

As to the ketchup bottles, it's illegal in many, if not all, states two refill condiment bottles. We used to refill ketchup bottles at the end of the night, a job everyone loathed, and I brought it to management's attention that the bottles plainly say 'do not refill'. It didn't happen right away, but shortly thereafter, the entire chain switched to pumping individual portions of ketchup into ramekins.

I will confess that my pet peeve, as a server & a parent, is parents who let their children run wild and expect the staff to clean up disasters after they leave, all while being average to bad tippers.

Advertisement

addicteddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 05:54 AM   #52
alsatia23
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think the server was rude and your children are not monsters! Saying it once was bad enough, she didn't need to keep going on about it. That being said, I don't let my kids play with the stuff. I just don't see the need for it (we also bring our own amusement, though we also don't eat out often). When you choose to eat out at a restaurant, you are choosing to put yourself out there for lots of things that have been touched by you-don't-know-what. So either be ignorantly happy or don't go.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:17 AM   #53
magoose
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_c_odonnell View Post
The waitress was very rude and uncalled for IMO

On a side note- thanks to this thread I may never use condiments from restaurants ever again I was happy in my ignorance till now
Yep, I was thinking the same thing! I'm totally grossed out now, thinking of all the people touching everything in a restaurant
Old 04-30-2012, 07:53 AM   #54
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkenmonkeysmommy1 View Post
I would call management. In a heart beat. I waited tables for years. Do you know how many hands have touched those jelly packets and sugar packets before they get to the table? I promise you all of the servers hands are not clean when they reach in there. And when the entire box goes tumbling onto the floor ( and it does more than you think) they do not throw those out. Many, many, many grown people play with them at the table.and throw them at each other and they get dropped on the floor and put right back in the caddy. They are SEALED.
For those saying you do not want to eat it after a child touches it, you are not eating the package, you are eating what is inside the SEALED package. You do not lick the outside of the package i would think.How many people do you think handled the food you bought at the grocery store before you brought it home?
As for the sugar packets getting wet, well yes, through those away. But to throw away the entire caddy? She was just being nasty.
Please, please call management!

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:03 AM   #55
bluedaisyma
Registered Users
seller

I am surprised by how many people are skeeved out by this....when you buy jelly and ketchup at the store, do you know how many people handled it before? Even the store stockers don't wear gloves, in addition to people who plan on buying it and don't, who return it and it gets re-stocked, the person who bags your groceries, etc. I know I don't wash all my groceries (except fruit and veggies) when I get home....I just depend on my immune system!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #56
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

and servers sometimes touch the inside of the rim of cups. And they touch the straws when they put them in your drinks(not all are wrapped). And to really skeeve you out, if they get the drinks mixed up before bringing them out, sometimes they put a straw in the drink and put their finger over it so some is trapped in the straw and they taste it instead of dumping all of the drinks out. And I bet EVERY one that has served before has yanked at least one french fry or whatever off of a plate.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #57
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I know (especially after working as a server) that a restaurant can be a disgusting place. I just don't think they need my kid's (or yours) help getting to that state. They'll probably make enough mess by just eating there.

Being gross is in the job description of a 2.5 year old. Mine licks random stuff in public sometimes. He probably fell in the gutter and sidewalk twice by the time I get to the restaurant door. This is my 4th 2.5 year old and they never cease to amaze me by their grossness. It is a gift.

One or 2 packs wouldn't bother me but do they need to handle the whole stack.

Really those sugar packets get back into the container in the same condition they went in?

Fess up. They tear, spill, get wet from their cup, they end up in their mouths. Then you get the sticky sugar coated hands they rub on themselves and everything else.

Those stocking grocery shelves or ringing items up have no choice but to touch the inventory. But parents can choose not to allow kids to handle all the condiments.

I'll put some questions out there:
Does condiment handling lead to other undesirable restaurant behavior?

How about the straws from the straw pile at fast food places? Do you take a bunch to entertain your kid and then put them back?
Old 04-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #58
drunkenmonkeysmommy1
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
I know (especially after working as a server) that a restaurant can be a disgusting place. I just don't think they need my kid's (or yours) help getting to that state. They'll probably make enough mess by just eating there.

Being gross is in the job description of a 2.5 year old. Mine licks random stuff in public sometimes. He probably fell in the gutter and sidewalk twice by the time I get to the restaurant door. This is my 4th 2.5 year old and they never cease to amaze me by their grossness. It is a gift.

Really those sugar packets get back into the container in the same condition they went in?

Fess up. They tear, spill, get wet from their cup, they end up in their mouths. Then you get the sticky sugar coated hands they rub on themselves and everything else.

Those stocking grocery shelves or ringing items up have no choice but to touch the inventory. But parents can choose not to allow kids to handle all the condiments.

How about the straws from the straw pile at fast food places? Do you take a bunch to entertain your kid and then put them back?

My ds playing with the jelly packets keeps other desirable behavior at bay. He counts them , looks at the letters, tells me what sounds they make,stacks them in rows ect and neatly stacks them back. We bring toys, but he would rather play with these. It is a novelty that he only gets to do at restaurants, and he is not licking them, we wash out hands when we come in a restaurant (I am actually baffled at the comment about dirty toddler hands, do you not wash their hands when you come in? Not meaning that nasty, I am just wondering how many people actually do not wash their hands before they eat), he is not throwing them around.

We do not leave a big mess because of him or us. I pre buss the table, including even stacking our cups. I put the condiments that dh, older ds, and I have used back in the correct dark to light order. Plus I tip very well to boot. Server love having us, so younger ds can not be causing that big of a problem.

Oh, and we have never grabbed straws to play with

Last edited by drunkenmonkeysmommy1; 04-30-2012 at 09:30 AM.
drunkenmonkeysmommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #59
mcpforever
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post

You are cracking me up and I'm not sure why. I haven't really thought much about condiment play until I read this thread as there just aren't a lot of little condiments out on the table at places we go to eat. At Waffle House we move the whole basket out of the way because the tables are pretty small. The only little packets we get there are creamer and we let the kids build towers with their CLEAN hands before the meal comes. And yes, they are clean for an entire 15 minutes because we are about to eat.

I've never been in a place where they had jelly packets just sitting on the table. Those paper packets are off limits because they are too easy to open and too hard for a toddler to put back in right. I think I'd be ok with jelly packets provided they weren't being dropped on the floor or thrown about.

For the most part, they stick to playing with the menus and little ads on the tables. Those triangles make great tunnels for hotwheels cars.

Strangely enough, just because we allow a few select items to be utilized for entertainment purposes, the kids haven't fallen into an anarchy of condiment fights, salt shaker licking, and pepper scattering.

My youngest did manage to break a glass ketchup bottle once. He wasn't even messing with it. He was reaching over it to push buttons on the table top jukebox that doesn't even work at Johnny Rocket's. Poor guy was so upset!
Old 04-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #60
slimy72
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree whole heartly that the waitress was rude as rude can be and you should call management. BUT I also don't let my toddler play with the condiments. It grosses me out, and I don't believe they are there to play with. We bring toys, and a smart waitress who wanted to keep her tip and save the condiments would have brought a coloring page or crayons or something appropriate to stack and play with like some plastic cups or something. We've seen a waitress do this a time or two with a very messy unrully table next to us before and it worked great. If our son acts out or doesn't like what we brough to play with he gets taken outside. He ruined a few meals for us in the beginning with us tag teaming who took him out, calmed him down, brought him back in until he started again. But very quickly he learned how you behave in a restraunt, and is great now.
slimy72 is offline   Reply With Quote