Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #11
SewingSeedsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Would you buy? Pricing? Feedback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_ranch_mom View Post
Also, while I think you're on the right track with asking here, keep in mind that the diaper market is becoming very saturated. I'd suggest really searching places like HC and looking at the quality of work and materials and prices and see if you can compete.
Thanks for the input, Mama! I'll make some price adjustments. I know the market is pretty saturated, but I'm not really interested in "making it big" (or even close to that!) I'm happy to sell a few diapers here and there for fun because I love to sew.

Advertisement

SewingSeedsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 11:43 AM   #12
solnishka7
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i guess im alittle late on this post but i was just reading this and i took a look at your pics and i think your fitteds are very cute and a great idea. flannel fitteds are great for mamas on a tight budget and great to sell cause u can get flannel over 5x a year at joanns for 2.99yd. and having customers send there used recieving blankets is a great idea.
as for the pockets, i love the little app's you put on the bum, super cute, but as a customer i would not pay that much for them for these reasons: the fabric your using isnt high grade, like others said id get some micro fleece, u can join coops like thisendup on yahoo groups and get very good prices, for the velcro, i never buy diapers that dont have tabs that come out(like bg's for example) cause u get to more room to grow. i think(and this is me) 12-13.00 for the plain pul if u keep the fabric the same and 14-16.00 for the ones w the cute app's on the bum. all and all tho i think your on to a great idea
Old 03-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #13
ncfjj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_ranch_mom View Post
Keep in mind there's a difference between diaper maker microfleece and just regular ole' fleece like you'd get from Joanns (for example).

If your pocket (without applique) is outer-PUL/inner-fleece/insert-micro fiber, I'd expect to pay no more than $14 per diaper. Also do you serge your inserts?

Add accordingly for the applique.

Once you get into real diaper maker microfleece (for good wicking) and using organics as inserts, then you can up your prices accordingly.

A PP mentioned that you can get a new BG for as little as $18 and you have to remember that you're in competition with 'brand name' either in price or quality. If your quality in materials is not as good as BG (for example), then people won't pay top dollar for 'lesser' materials.

Also, while I think you're on the right track with asking here, keep in mind that the diaper market is becoming very saturated. I'd suggest really searching places like HC and looking at the quality of work and materials and prices and see if you can compete.
Two things come to mind when ready this post. First make sure that you have a quality diaper before you start selling. The second is make sure you price yourself fairly. By this, I don't mean price yourself to be competitive, I mean price yourself to be paid. Account for the cost of your materials, and time. How much is your time worth an hour? A lot of WAHM's have recently raised their prices, because when broken down, we were getting between $2-$5 an hour. That isn't near enough for the amount of work that goes into a diaper.

Of course companies like BF can charge $17 or $19 for a pocket diaper, they are mass produced in a factory and the fabric is purchased much cheaper, wholesale.

Now the kind of diapers you want to offer, and the materials you want to put into them will make a difference in the price. People are often more willing to pay more money for higher quality materials in a diaper. Snaps are more popular than aplix and touchtape, but also more time consuming. If you are looking to make an economic diaper, do keep in mind, that while people may like the idea, some are also more willing to buy a brand name diaper off FSOT that has been used, that spend the same money on an upcycled diaper of the same price. Figure out your market, and how willing they are to buy. If you have prices that are too low, in order to get people to buy yours, you will burn out after a while.