Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-27-2018, 12:12 PM   #1
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Ahh, he is getting older - Music

My son is recently 8 years old in first grade. For the last couple years he has asked to listen to not kid music. I know at school he listens to pop music in gym and sometimes in class so I already lost some control. I've looked for main stream songs for him to listen to (and I have a 4 year old that is listening too) and I found a good selection of current and classic pop and rock/alternative music for him to listen to and he listen to his playlist in the car and he has it available at home.

BTW DH and I listen to classic rock/alternative from growing up in the 90s/00s and, DH more listen to harder alternative/rock/punk.

Anyway DS LOVES Thunder by Imagine Dragons and has asked for more Imagine Dragons music. I like them, but only know what comes on the radio. So I've been listening to their other music and reading about them, and it seems they almost never swear but they are a bit dark (not excessively though) and mostly have a "life is hard" theme that seems pretty consistent.

It would take me awhile to fully evaluate several songs and then need to be okay with the "life is hard" theme that is almost all of them.

So long story short I am trying to evaluate if this music is okay to just go with. And weed out the songs I'm not as happy with as we go. (I've already dropped out 1 or 2)

Anyone else been here? How'd you make your choices? Anyone an Imagine Dragons Fan?

I'm a bit torn from holding on too tight when the music really is fine (no swearing/sex/drugs) and sheltering him which I should probably need to let up.

BTW we do sometimes listen to the radio and just change the station when a song that is really not good from them comes on, but sometimes we do listen to songs that aren't prefect and I wouldn't put on a playlist for him to learn by heart but occasionally on the radio... So the kids are getting expose to songs that aren't "fully approved" as it is.

Advertisement

Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers

Last edited by Pixi6s; 02-27-2018 at 12:19 PM.
Pixi6s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:19 PM   #2
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Re: Ahh, he is getting older - Music

Writing this out has basically told me to just go with it... but I'd still like to hear from others that have been through this
Mom to LO#1 born 1/7/2010 (Cloth diapered since day 1; Part-time EC since 9 months; Daytime PL since 29 months; Nightime PL at 5.5 years) & LO#2 born 12/1/2013 (First diaper was cloth! Part-time EC since 12 months & Daytime PL at 26 months) Checkout my absorbency tests. Thoughts on how long a cloth diaper REALLY lasts. Thoughts on Yeast , here, here, here & here. How to Wash Wool & Sanitize Wool. Everything must go! Nighttime Trainers
Old 02-27-2018, 12:25 PM   #3
KittyRen
Registered Users

My Mood:

Don't know how much you'd trust this site, but it does have some info:

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/mus.../night-visions

Personally, I let my kid listen to a lot - he's only 4.5 but listens to a lot that I listen to - hip hop, classic rock, alternative. I stay away from obvious swearing and super sexual lyrics, but other than that most things are okay. One example - he really likes "Deal With It" by the Beastie Boys -- I don't think he catches most of the lyrics so I'm okay with it. Compare that to...like...smack my ***** up, where you can definitely tell what they're saying. I think as long as you have a dialog about what's in the song it's fine.
KittyRen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:47 PM   #4
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

Yeah I was at common sense media, i use it all the time for movies. My son will start getting it and if he doesn't, he will ask about what they are saying and what they mean. I'm okay with staying "meaning depends on you" sorta thing but if he asks what they are saying I'm not one to lie about it.
Old 04-08-2018, 12:15 PM   #5
~Whiskey~
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think you've got the right idea of how to go about it honestly.
I think Imagine Dragons are relatively benign. Now if he decides he wants to listen to the Dead South.. yeah.. I'd be picking and choosing the songs lol.
~Whiskey~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:33 PM   #6
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixi6s View Post
Writing this out has basically told me to just go with it... but I'd still like to hear from others that have been through this
It's funny you should mention Imagine Dragons my dd and ds debate if they are morbid or not fairly regularly. They like some of their songs.

I do think communication is key. Some horrible songs with terrible messages can have catchy beats. We avoid certain genres. We stick to "cleaner" versions if available. But if some song is playing in the store that I dislike or at an and event I won't drag them out or anything.

My teens ended up with some eclectic tastes and I'm pretty happy that the junky so called music that are hits usually annoy them.
Old 04-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #7
~Whiskey~
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agla View Post
My teens ended up with some eclectic tastes and I'm pretty happy that the junky so called music that are hits usually annoy them.
I ended up the same way! My music taste is all over the place lol but it keeps it interesting I think. My husband groans when I put classical music on but my son loves it.
~Whiskey~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #8
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Whiskey~ View Post
I ended up the same way! My music taste is all over the place lol but it keeps it interesting I think. My husband groans when I put classical music on but my son loves it.
My kids like classical too. They find it soothing. I used to play it for them as babies too.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:32 PM   #9
Pixi6s
Registered Users
seller

In general I tell them that songs are personal and to figure out what the mean to them. Ive given then a few more imagine dragons song but not the full Gambit. It's going well.