Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-23-2018, 11:35 AM   #1
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

You have $290 of free money to spend BUT...

It has to be on clothes/shoes for a specific child. It has to be spent in the next two months or the money is lost. Child does not need anything right at the moment. What do you buy???

My first thought is buy lots of things in advance but I am struggling with amounts, sizes, and seasons. Also I always buy on clearance so I'm going to have a really hard time buying anything that isn't cheap. WWYD?

Advertisement

jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:42 AM   #2
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Re: You have $290 of free money to spend BUT...

I would just look at current growth rate and estimate sizes and seasons. Happy shopping!!! Just pretend it's your money and buy what you would normally buy if you could afford it in real life.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:59 AM   #3
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would definitely buy good shoes in the next size or two because sometimes it's hard to find good shoes at a cheap price. Also, at least one pair of jeans and/or nice pants in each size. No matter what season you can always use at least one nice pair of pants or jeans. If you go to church, church clothes would be a safe bet since they are probably pretty safe to be worn in any season probably just add or subtract a jacket.
kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:18 PM   #4
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

Coats/boots/snow gear can be pricey, you could start there if you live in an area where you'll need it. Maybe get the jeans you like in all the sizes. I got children's place jeans for my string-bean daughter when they were on sale and she sized up a lot faster than I thought she would. I think I would mostly focus on good shoes and sturdy, quality clothing in the basics you know you'll use in the next couple of sizes. So only this specific child can wear the clothing? What an interesting dilemma!
Old 01-23-2018, 12:24 PM   #5
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaLlama View Post
Coats/boots/snow gear can be pricey, you could start there if you live in an area where you'll need it. Maybe get the jeans you like in all the sizes. I got children's place jeans for my string-bean daughter when they were on sale and she sized up a lot faster than I thought she would. I think I would mostly focus on good shoes and sturdy, quality clothing in the basics you know you'll use in the next couple of sizes. So only this specific child can wear the clothing? What an interesting dilemma!
It's a situation with the bonus boys. So actually it's this X2 lol. The one I am struggling the most is the younger one....I buy clothes for David and bonus kid 1. Those all get handed down to bonus kid 2. What could he possibly need??? Shoes we buy new so I'll get shoes for sure but IDK where the rest of his is going to go. I mean it's a good problem to have, but it just feels sort of wasteful because it would be put to a lot better use on one of the other kids.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:27 PM   #6
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

If you stick to basic styles you can get winter clearance gear for the next couple of years. Also underwear and socks would be a good investment and you can just size right up.

Also you can buy nice quality items now, use them and then resell once outgrown and use money towards that child's next clothing needs.
Old 01-23-2018, 12:47 PM   #7
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

I always think coats/jackets/sweatshirts fit longer than other clothes and can span a couple of sizes sometimes. Plus they get used a lot and get dirty and gross. I agree with pp - I would get the basics in a couple sizes ahead. I like polo shirts from osh-kosh. They come in lots of colors and work for play or for going out or church. Do you have consignment stores nearby you can shop at?
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:09 PM   #8
Elchorrito
Registered Users
seller

Also I'm obsessed with buying shoes on eBay for kids. If you find a shoe you know you like, buy it in all the sizes!

Bonus kids are out of diapers, right? Even overnight?

How about bedding? Does that count? A suitcase to carry clothes when traveling? How far can you stretch "clothing"?
Elchorrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #9
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

I am considering spending it at kohls when they have a kohls cash going + the rewards points...that would end up being a significant amount of 'extra' money that I could put towards the other kids clothes.

They are out of diapers during the day, both wear a pull up to bed at night. Diapers don't count though. Bedding and suit case don't count. I'd really like to buy a heap of fabric and make clothes as needed but fabric doesn't count either. Footwear, clothing, and accessories like hats/gloves only.

Also shipping cost wouldn't count but I never pay for shipping.

ETA--closet consignment stores are an hour away. I do most of my kid's shopping online.

Last edited by jen_batten; 01-23-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 02:17 PM   #10
zeotwoski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Wool pants for pajamas to help the pull-ups?

I'm with you on that dilemma--I shop like you do and the only time I was content with what to do with the clothing check was one where I brought the BM along shopping and let her pick out what she like for LO. It was my 3rd girl in 1.5 years and newborn size--I didn't need ANYTHING! But it was fun for mom, and therapeutic.

I definitely agree with stocking up in the next sizes! I read once that February is when stores clearance the winter stock, so you should find some sales coming up.
zeotwoski is offline   Reply With Quote