Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-10-2009, 08:23 AM   #1
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Productive cough - infant....

My memory with DD1 is that basically every cough in infancy was unproductive. DD2 has had a runny nose since Thursday. It's down to "a little" runny -- I syringe it out before naps and wipe it a few times, and that's all that's necessary. She's active and happy, no fever. The last three nights, she's done a lot of hard, productive coughing.... maybe every few minutes... sometimes swallowing afterwards, sometimes crying afterwards. Sleeping totally upright helps; sleeping at an incline doesn't seem to. But if I take her into the hot shower for 15-20 minutes, she does not cough at all for the next few hours.

Take her in? or is this probably just post-nasal drip from a cold?

Advertisement

Last edited by S Starr; 06-10-2009 at 09:45 AM.
S Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
Knutsonfam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Productive cough - infant....

If it were me, I would take her in just in case. During my lo's last cold I called the nurse line at our pedi's and asked them what they thought. The nurse listened to his cough over the phone and said to come in. He had a little wheeze with his cough that cleared up quickly with treatment. Also, if I were going to use a bulb syringe to clear out mucous, I would use saline first. The syringe can make the inside of the nose very dry, which causes inflammation, which then makes the nose even more stuffy.

It is hard to hear lo's cough. I'm sorry she is sick and I hope she gets better soon.

BTW, where in the Pacific NW are you? I'm in Oregon

Last edited by Knutsonfam; 06-10-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Knutsonfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knutsonfam View Post
If it were me, I would take her in just in case. During my lo's last cold I called the nurse line at our pedi's and asked them what they thought. The nurse listened to his cough over the phone and said to come in. He had a little wheeze with his cough that cleared up quickly with treatment. Also, if I were going to use a bulb syringe to clear out mucous, I would use saline first. The syringe can make the inside of the nose very dry, which causes inflammation, which then makes the nose even more stuffy.

It is hard to hear lo's cough. I'm sorry she is sick and I hope she gets better soon.

BTW, where in the Pacific NW are you? I'm in Oregon

I'm in Oregon too! Salem. I guess I'll call the nurse. In 3+ years with DD1 so far, every cough that I've worried about was dismissed....

I am doing the saline drops before the syringe. Thanks!

Last edited by S Starr; 06-10-2009 at 11:44 AM.
S Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 11:50 AM   #4
Shaunam
Registered Users

DD has health issues, so this isn't "typical" but maybe still helpful? When my DD has a "productive cough" it means she has junk in her lungs. Now for her it's an everyday thing and she's often sick, but her body is used to it I think, which is why she doesn't constantly have lung infections.

I only worry when she spikes a temp. That can mean infection. If your baby is coughing up the junk it means her body is doing what it is supposed to. If she starts running even a low-grade temp, I'd get her in. If you take her in now, they'll most likely do preventative antibiotics so if you don't like that idea, there's probably no point in taking her in.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:03 PM   #5
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunam View Post
DD has health issues, so this isn't "typical" but maybe still helpful? When my DD has a "productive cough" it means she has junk in her lungs. Now for her it's an everyday thing and she's often sick, but her body is used to it I think, which is why she doesn't constantly have lung infections.

I only worry when she spikes a temp. That can mean infection. If your baby is coughing up the junk it means her body is doing what it is supposed to. If she starts running even a low-grade temp, I'd get her in. If you take her in now, they'll most likely do preventative antibiotics so if you don't like that idea, there's probably no point in taking her in.
Junk in her lungs, huh? not just in her throat? hmmmm.... I guess I'll have to pull out the thermometer! Thanks!
Old 06-10-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
Knutsonfam
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Salem! Did you know we have a small DS play group that meets a couple of times a month in Salem?

Here is a link http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=713435

How is your DD doing?
Knutsonfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knutsonfam View Post
Salem! Did you know we have a small DS play group that meets a couple of times a month in Salem?

Here is a link http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/...d.php?t=713435

How is your DD doing?
Awesome! I'll have to join in that!

DD is just the same -- perfectly happy, runny nose, occasional hard cough. I took her temp, underarm, digital: 96.1. Probably wrong, but probably not a fever....