Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-04-2013, 06:52 AM   #1
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
when does baby start using a spoon?

Right now I feed baby with a spoon when we're eating yogurt, ice cream, rice, oatmeal. When is a baby ready to start trying to spoonfeed herself? She's 13 months now.

Advertisement

SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
l_Kimmie_l
Banned

My Mood:
Re: when does baby start using a spoon?

I still spoon feed my 18 month old. He will simply make a mess and play in his food if I do not.
l_Kimmie_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #3
saraley
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I am interested in hearing other responses- my 14 month old likes to use the spoon himself; I put the food on it and then let him hold it- he does pretty good with getting it to his mouth; but I admit I don't let him do this very often b/c it takes forever and makes a mess... And was wondering if I should be encouraging self feeding more often...
Old 10-04-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
c&w's mama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I'd absolutely give a 13 monther a spoon. And younger as well- whenever they want it. My dd had one to play with when she was spoon fed at 8 mo- and she used it when she felt like it.

My kids are also in daycare. They start giving them spoons to eat at 12ish months. Now they will help them eat (they want their babies bellies to be full- they'd never allow otherwise) but I don't help unless "asked" by a child, frustrated or not I don't feed until they can pick things up and around 6 months, so they for sure let me know if they aren't happy with the situation.

I did that even when I didn't do BLW. But by the time my son came along, he only fed himself. I think its learning all around. He got food before during prep/cooking and as soon as it was ready for dinner- then just kept on eating/playing with us when we sat- mess and all. I mostly let him eat with his hands- with the option for a spoon and a fork. (that young, by 18 months- I think, I can't remember exactly-, he helps set the table with his plate and kid spoon/fork)

edit: just looked at the original list.

yogurt- You can always add a few bits of cereal (not baby cereal, I mean) to give it some crunch and stay on the spoon easier for littles learning to use the spoon. Just like I add granola.

oatmeal- We did/do steel-cut oats. One pot for the whole fam. I put balls of it in a bowl, added a tiny bit of milk, and let him at it with a spoon. Or the balls on a plate- but I don't think that worked for him as well.

ice cream- lol!! No need to help there- any kid will figure out how to get that in

rice- I balled that for him, too.

I do wait for tiny orzo and tiny star pasta- because that is too much of a mess for me

And someone mentioned time. Best way to keep them out of trouble! DS ate from prep to cleanup. But this only worked because he was so interested! And he was cleaned up and taken out of his highchair when done- he didn't have to wait for us to finish if he was not enthralled on a certain night.

Last edited by c&w's mama; 10-04-2013 at 11:04 AM.
c&w's mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #5
elizabeth.scalf
Registered Users

My Mood:
Yes, I should have been clearer. We do baby led weaning and she's eating 90% of her food on her own with her fingers. I sometimes let her eat rice off her tray, but with squishier or smaller grains I spoonfeed. She started grabbing the spoon today while feeding her so I just wondered if its time to break out the plastic bowls for a while, and start giving her a tiny amount and allowing her to play around with the spoon.
SAHM to Coralie, 1/09, Siri 9/10, Ellie Sue 9/12, Baby #4 due May 2014.
elizabeth.scalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
lisali
Registered Users

My Mood:

Even if your baby is just 13 months old, I think you can already give her a spoon. She will start playing with it at the beginning but, sooner or later, she will learn how to use it. I started doing it like that and now, the baby knows how to use a spoon.

Last edited by lisali; 10-26-2013 at 07:05 AM.
lisali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #7
hollyhock
Registered Users
seller

The general guideline is that babies can learn to use spoons and forks between 12 and 15 months, give or take. If your little one is showing interest, than I would definitely let her go for it. It is a bit messy to start, but their skills will improve the more opportunities they have to practice. Our kiddo actually figured out forks before spoons: http://howtofeedahenry.blogspot.com/...-use-fork.html.
hollyhock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #8
townelin
Registered Users

I gave him a spoon from day one just to hold in his hand and get the idea. At 13 months, he still just bangs it.
townelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #9
rubycloth
Registered Users

DD is 8 months and I let her hold a spoon while I spoon feed her. She puts it in her mouth and I have to put the spoon with food in when she takes it out. I found it helped stop her spitting out her food. I was curious about this though.
rubycloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #10
EmilytheStrange
Registered Users

My Mood:
I give utensils before I give bowls and plates. My kids just throw those

But you can obviously train them not to.

And yes, my DD mastered a fork long before a spoon, but shes not a fine motor gal.

Last edited by EmilytheStrange; 03-11-2014 at 09:42 PM.
EmilytheStrange is offline   Reply With Quote