Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-17-2014, 11:32 PM   #11
Luvmygirl
Registered Users

Thank you ladies sooo much! You all said what I was hoping someone would. I feel good knowing that my daughter can take her time with this. I'd like to wean because she still hasn't slept through the night, or even for 4 hours straight, but if she's not ready and she's still benefiting than I have no problem waiting.

Advertisement

Luvmygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:58 PM   #12
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:
Re: Baby barely eats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmygirl View Post
Thank you ladies sooo much! You all said what I was hoping someone would. I feel good knowing that my daughter can take her time with this. I'd like to wean because she still hasn't slept through the night, or even for 4 hours straight, but if she's not ready and she's still benefiting than I have no problem waiting.
oh I hear ya. You know you can night wean w/o completely weaning. I just did this with my almost 2 year old. She was still waking up every few hours to nurse which I'm completely over. It took a few nights for her to get use to the idea that at night time we sleep then we can have milk in the morning but she is night weaned now and it's totally awesome
Old 11-18-2014, 12:52 AM   #13
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Oh interesting! My pediatrician was like "keep trying because your breast milk isn't offering her much now." So I felt kinda like I had to hurry and figure out how to get her to eat.
He needs to be better educated about breastfeeding and breast milk. My son grew beautifully even thought he didn't eat more than a few tablespoons a day until around 2-2 1/2 years of age. He had swallowing issues and reflux so eating was not his favorite activity. I was told to wean him so he would eat more food and declined to do so. It didn't make sense to me. What if I did wean him and he didn't begin eating more food? Then what? I would have a sickly child on my hands.

My older son. He is the one I mentioned earlier. He continued to be what I would call my bird eater until just this last year. He is 11 years old in this picture. Late eating and longer dependence on breast milk does not appear to have harmed him.

My younger son. Has dairy issues and reflux. Also late starting solids and didn't start eating larger quantities until around 3. He did have lower iron levels by around 2 years of age. This was easily addressed with iron fortified vitamins. Not so convinced it was his longer term dependence on breast milk though as my daughter, who he strongly resembles, had similar issues despite being a voracious eater from the get go. She started solids at her insistence at 5 1/2 months and ate very well.

As you can see, none of them look starved or sickly.

Last edited by qsefthuko; 11-18-2014 at 12:54 AM.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:32 PM   #14
Luvmygirl
Registered Users

Wow!! That's so interesting! Are most pediatricians so nonchalant about breast-feeding and its benefits??
Old 11-18-2014, 07:21 PM   #15
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Wow!! That's so interesting! Are most pediatricians so nonchalant about breast-feeding and its benefits??
from my experience the older doctors have really old fashion, outdated advice so I tend to stay away. Most younger doctors are more open to co-sleeping, breastfeeding ect. You have to find a good fit for you and your family. Remember, the doctor works for YOU and not the other way around. If you don't see eye to eye or find yourself questioning their advice then it's time to part ways
Old 11-18-2014, 08:09 PM   #16
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

This isn't exactly what you asked but it really helped me so maybe it will help you in the future or someone else.
I thought my daughter (4.5) wasn't eating enough. Like I was worried sick. She would go 2 days seeming to eat nothing of any significance. She looked and acted normal and fine. I finally researched on the Mayo Clinic website and got info about portions of different nutrients and food groups broken down by age and gender. I realized that she was getting exactly what she should have been! Maybe lacking in one or two food groups but definitely much better than I had feared!!!! It took close observation for a while but now I am better educated about how much of what they actually need. And it's overall less than I thought. Hope this helps someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MamaChirpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:14 PM   #17
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyEllie View Post
from my experience the older doctors have really old fashion, outdated advice so I tend to stay away. Most younger doctors are more open to co-sleeping, breastfeeding ect. You have to find a good fit for you and your family. Remember, the doctor works for YOU and not the other way around. If you don't see eye to eye or find yourself questioning their advice then it's time to part ways

It's strange that I have had the opposite experience with peds. In my experience, the older doctors are the ones who had the most common sense and were much better at diagnosing and treating. The younger ones I have dealt with have been idiots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MamaChirpy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 11:53 PM   #18
Luvmygirl
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaChirpy
This isn't exactly what you asked but it really helped me so maybe it will help you in the future or someone else. I thought my daughter (4.5) wasn't eating enough. Like I was worried sick. She would go 2 days seeming to eat nothing of any significance. She looked and acted normal and fine. I finally researched on the Mayo Clinic website and got info about portions of different nutrients and food groups broken down by age and gender. I realized that she was getting exactly what she should have been! Maybe lacking in one or two food groups but definitely much better than I had feared!!!! It took close observation for a while but now I am better educated about how much of what they actually need. And it's overall less than I thought. Hope this helps someone. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's really good to know! I'll look that up!
Old 11-19-2014, 01:05 AM   #19
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Yeah I actually had one nurse tell me my child was supposed to drink 16-24 oz of milk 4 oz of juice and plenty of water on top of that. Basically the amount of milk, water, and juice that is suggested for an adult. Then of course he was supposed to fit food in between all that fluid. My poor kiddo barely weighed in at 25lbs. Poor kid would have been so water logged I don't see how he could have eaten anything had he managed to down that much fluid.
Old 11-19-2014, 01:09 AM   #20
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

And yes I have found the majority of health care professionals to be woefully ignorant when it comes to breastfeeding. I even had the doctor husband of a pediatrician tell me breastmilk was inferior to formula. He strongly recommended formula feeding. Sadly, it would appear breastfeeding education of doctors was not a high priority.