Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-20-2015, 09:42 PM   #1981
emilysd2
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Our first was circumcised and now I am pregnant with our second son and have learned a few things and we are not doing that again. I regret doing the first, but now how do I explain to my boys why they are different when it inevitably comes up?

Advertisement

emilysd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 07:19 AM   #1982
mamashhon
Registered Users
Formerly: m2bs11n5
seller

Top ten reasons not to circumcise your son

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilysd2 View Post
Our first was circumcised and now I am pregnant with our second son and have learned a few things and we are not doing that again. I regret doing the first, but now how do I explain to my boys why they are different when it inevitably comes up?

My situation is the same. My first is from a previous marriage as well, though lives with myself and DH full time and doesn't visit his dad. My first two boys are 2.5 years apart. My oldest is now 10, and his brother will be 8 soon.

He just recently asked me why his looks different than this brothers (we have a three year old boy as well, so I'm sure he noticed it sooner just never said anything) and I basically said "when you were a baby, the doctors asked me if I was going to circumcise you. Every boy in my family was, so when I asked other people what they thought, they told me that I should and it was better. Your dad also thought it was best if you were because he was when he was a baby. Since you were born, I learned more about it and feel very badly that I made this decision for you. It wasn't my decision to make. I have since decided that if you weren't meant to be that way, you wouldn't be born that way, so we did not with your brothers."

He asked a little about why people do it, and I explained religious and cleanliness reasons (that have since been debunked) and he told me that it was a really weird decision for people to make for a baby anyway, and why do people care. He didn't seem mad at me, though I did apologize for making a decision that should have been his because I was uninformed. It's come up a few more times between us, and he had said he will not circumcise his children. He hasn't had any complications or anything from it, and I tried to explain without personal bias. He's old enough, so I did tell him that the reasons behind why people do it are more personal, and not really backed by research.

ETA: my husband now and the father of our three (soon to be four) is not circumcised, so I did explain that to him as well. My husband is Russian, so I told him it's not really commonly done in other countries like it is routinely done here. In some countries, yes. But a lot less "common" than here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by mamashhon; 02-03-2016 at 07:23 AM.
mamashhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:53 PM   #1983
colorthelite
Registered Users
seller

This is great!
colorthelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #1984
JennGlidden
Registered Users

My Mood:

Great post! I was concerned that there would be an issue with cleanliness since that's the main "selling point" of circumcision but as a baby, my son had absolutely no issues, due to the reason in this list. Thank you for posting.
JennGlidden is offline   Reply With Quote