Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-26-2007, 08:38 PM   #11
ndunn
Registered Users
seller

Re: Is this the end?? *SOB*

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljennk View Post
Thanks for all the great advice, MAMAS! I just got him to nurse a little bit, and I feel pretty sore, so I hope that is a sign that I still have plenty of milk. It just feels "different" than being engorged.

Oh, and to the PP, he is throwing up because he got his first case of rotavirus. Yes, I am sure that is what it is. Although I am not opposed to Rice milk- thanks for the suggestion!
nak, excuse the typos

rotavirus, im sorry that is hard to deal with

on monday nights im away from my dd for 3 hours at school and i notice i get sore but it does feel different than being engorged. that definately sounds like you are filling up with milk though. sounds like the same feeling i get. does it get better when you nurse?

Advertisement

Old 04-27-2007, 07:46 AM   #12
Milkshake Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Is this the end?? *SOB*

Quote:
Originally Posted by massbb2 View Post
Don't judge a pump for the amount your child can get. He's going to be far more efficient.
Brenda

KAtte
Old 04-27-2007, 08:04 AM   #13
Milkshake Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Talking Re: Is this the end?? *SOB*

Galactogogues (to increase milk): From Dr Jack Newman's site: "Fenugreek: 3 capsules 3 times a day
Blessed thistle: 3 capsules 3 times a day, or 20 drops of the tincture 3 times a day.
If you are taking enough Fenugreek then you should be able to smell it on your skin."
(You can find a link on my website)

Remember, milk is a solid, not a liquid. It will fill up a baby's tummy quickly. Juice has a lot of calories due to sugar-even 100% juice. This will supply baby with calories, but breast milk is BEST!

I would use something like: Baby's Only Essentials® ORAL ELECTROLYTE
I *think* I saw this at CVS ? but here's the link: http://www.babyorganic.com/cart.php?...ategory_id=251
To hydrate baby when illness strikes.

Good luck momma, and it sounds like he will be nursing normally again soon!
Katte
Old 04-27-2007, 09:11 AM   #14
bradleymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with all the mamas that a pump is no indication of what the amount of milk your child can pull when nursing. When DD was younger, I used to pump once a day and get a fair amount of milk, to cover the few hours I'm away from her. But when she got really good with solids, and no longer needed milk when I was away, I quit pumping. DD is almost 13 mo old now, and I tried to pump a few weeks ago...I pumped for 30 minutes and onlyl got 1.5oz of milk. I think that its especially hard to pull much from a pump when you aren't using it regularly. Anyhow, I have to tell you that I KNOW DD gets more from nursing, because when she was sick last month, I nursed her first thing in the morning, then she rolled over and immediately threw it all up. There had to be at least 6-7 oz of liquid that came out of her. Sorry, that's pretty gross Keep on with what you are doing, try some heat and massage on your breasts when you are pumping, and if he has started to nurse again, I'm sure he is on the road to recovery! Good luck
bradleymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 10:03 AM   #15
3lilbubs
Registered Users
seller

That happened to me too, when ds #2 started nursing just twice a day. For me, twice a day was not enough stim. to keep my supply going so my body decided to shut things down. He weaned himself at 13 mos, he was ready but I was not. He didn't want to nurse even in calm situations for more than 5 min. It happened FAST over a matter of a couple days. The least favored side dried up completely, and then then I could only get 2-3oz out of the other side for another day or so. If you aren't ready to wean, act fast. Drink lots of water and start using your pump every 3hrs at least, even if you aren't getting much it will improve over the next 24hrs or so. Fenugreek capsules, 3 at every meal for the next couple of days should help too. I would offer whatever milk you pump to ds just an ounce at a time. My ds had Rotovirus and it almost sent him to the ER several times. A 1/2-1oz of fluid every 1/2 hr was all he could keep down. BM would help heal your ds's intestines too. Good luck, sorry mamma.
3lilbubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 08:36 AM   #16
jenneonthespot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is this the end?? *SOB* UPDATE in post #15

Well, I think we have made it through the woods. HOORAY!! DS is still having diarrhea, but he never has gotten dehydrated to the point where we had to take him in to be seen. Good pees, tears, etc. He is also more himself today, and eating better. FWIW, my peds. office told me that he might have the runs for up to 1 week. I hope not, for his sake, as well as the sake of my washer.
As for the nursing, he is also MUCH more interested, and i am LEAKING today! (I never leak) Never though I would be so excited about leaking. HA!
Thank you so much for all of your advice and support. I am extremely grateful.

jenneonthespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:56 PM   #17
Milkshake Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Smile Re: Is this the end?? *SOB* UPDATE in post #16

So glad to hear the news! Good job, momma! Bless your sweet baby.

Katte