Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-28-2007, 11:31 AM   #1
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
pumping pain + baby won't latch (relactation)

2 questions here:
is it normal for pumping to be as painful as the initial couple of weeks of nursing are with a newborn? The pain subsides once the milk starts dripping, so it seems pretty much like nursing does with a newborn.

Also, I'm relactating and not getting much milk yet, but wanted to try to latch the baby on once in a while so he can help and also won't forget how. But he doesn't want to!!! Do I just have to wait till there's enough milk there that he'll want to try? Or just keep gently trying to persuade him? (also like when he was a newborn! Sometimes it would take several minutes to get him to latch).

Thanks!

Advertisement

Last edited by 3inclothdiapers; 04-30-2007 at 01:52 PM.
3inclothdiapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:29 PM   #2
Milkshake Momma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: pumping pain + baby won't latch (relactation)

Wow! Momma.
These are such a loaded questions!
First- nursing & pumping shouldn't hurt-ever! If it does that means something is not right.

Second- how old is baby now? did you stop breastfeeding totally and that is why you are relactating? If so, how old was baby when you stopped? What kind of pump are you using?

There is so much to consider when answering these questions and helping you with relactation. I would love to see you get help from an IBCLC, LLL or both. Please check out the La Leche League Formus: http://forums.llli.org/ You really should be getting in-person, professional help.

Good luck momma
Katte
Old 04-28-2007, 04:36 PM   #3
gabby's_mama
Registered Users
seller

NAK

Pumping can be painful if you're using an ill-fitting flange. You could use olive oil to lube the flange to help. There's great information re.: relactation here: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/rel...nksrelactation

Good luck!
Old 04-30-2007, 08:22 AM   #4
Namaste

Peace To All Who Enter
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Make sure that the flange you are using fits your nipples, not your breasts. I made the mistake of thinking because I was a D, that I needed larger flanges when in essence only one breast needed the next size up. Your nipple should not be touching the sides of the tube when being pulled out.

And I would get him to the breast asap before he completely forgets how. You can always use an SNS. If you can't get one, feed close to your breast as possible. Let him to get used to that skin to skin contact. At this age, it'll probably be too hard to spoon feed him, etc. Can you get an SNS?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:15 AM   #5
3inclothdiapers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The pumping doesn't hurt so bad anymore, just mild soreness at first and it quickly goes away while pumping.

I keep trying to get him to latch on but he pulls away. Is it because he latched 4 days ago and tasted salty yucky breastmilk and remembers that??? I've tried offering my breast at different times. Sometimes he's fine UNTIL I offer my breast, then he pulls away and starts crying. Dh thinks that ds doesn't like how I smell (from the Fenugreek).

I've pumped 4 times today and I'm just shy of an ounce so far (total). Yesterday I ended up with 1 1/3 oz total. So, I'm doing good, but still far from where I want to be. Ds is used to getting 5 oz bottles, so getting only a teaspoon or so of breastmilk at a time would not make him happy!

Is it reasonable to expect a 6 month old who hasn't nursed in 5 or 6 weeks to go back to nursing? Or am I too late? I must admit that the main reason I am relactating is because I want to nourish him AT MY BREAST. I don't just want to give him the milk in a bottle.

I guess a SNS would be a good idea but even with the prospect of saving lots of $ if we don't have to buy formula anymore, I'm not sure dh would be thrilled if I spent another $50 right now. I just spent $60 on the pump and $18 on the herbs. Fortunately, several nice mamas here were willing to buy some of my diapers so I was able to make up for that. But I'm not sure I have another $50 worth of stuff to sell. We'll see...
3inclothdiapers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 11:34 AM   #6
kimsclothkids
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have an SNS for sale on here. I just got it for $60.00. PM me and we can talk and see if we could come up with something! BTW, I only used it to put formula through. My DS never ever latched on. He is a year old though and has never gotten to be at the breast.
WOHM to NoahJacoband MeganLoving wife to my #1 man, Aaron I have a one of a kind family and a one of a kind life and I'm loving every minute of it!
kimsclothkids is offline   Reply With Quote