Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 04-07-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:
Tiny home families

Are there any families here who live in tiny homes? Is there a facebook page for families living in tiny homes for like support and ideas? We are going to be purchasing a camper this weekend to convert into a tiny home. I have 3 kids and most of the tiny houses I see are with just couples which is a lot different then having kids and doing this.

Advertisement

Old 04-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #2
Tshebby
Registered Users
seller

Re: Tiny home families

I had a friend research this and she found a lot of info on boat living helpful. Similar concept.
Tshebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #3
JRT<3sME
Registered Users

My husband travels a lot for work so we live in a 5th wheel. I have two kids, 4 and 1 and am expecting number 3 at the beginning of June. It's close but we make it work. Better together than apart.
JRT<3sME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:30 PM   #4
drfitz19
Registered Users
seller

We lived on a sailboat until my son was about one, and now are in an off grid 480 sq foot cabin with baby #2 on the way. Winter was hard and I'm trying to figure out some creative ideas to accommodate another little one! Would love to trade ideas and have some support for those claustrophobic days!
drfitz19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 08:56 PM   #5
SillyEllie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

we are going to be purchasing a 1973 Avion LaGrande 28' camper this weekend. It's already been gutted with wood floors put in so we will need to finish it. I've been on Pinterest a lot which has been giving me a lot of ideas but it would be nice to kind of connect with other tiny home/rving families. Right now we live in FL and sort of doing the rat race thing. Large mortgage, paycheck to paycheck and we are just sick of living this way. Our plan is to fix up this camper and go buy property in NC and not have debt over our heads. We have 3 kids 6, 5 and 2 so it will be 5 people living in this 28' camper but I'm kind of excited about it
Old 04-07-2015, 09:01 PM   #6
stevensmom
Administrator
Squeeze your own darn cheeks
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Bunk beds would be a must for the kids. Maybe a shooter that folds down over the "family room" for another kiddo?

You'll want storage everywhere.

I'm not a tiny liver but I love watching tiny homes on tv
BabyBoyBlueBoutique
stevensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:59 AM   #7
SillyEllie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensmom View Post
Bunk beds would be a must for the kids. Maybe a shooter that folds down over the "family room" for another kiddo?

You'll want storage everywhere.

I'm not a tiny liver but I love watching tiny homes on tv
yes! I was thinking of having a twin with a trundle and having my husband build a bunk bed above that so we can have 3 beds on 1 side. I have planned out kind of what I wanna do but actually having that be realistic, I'm not sure yet lol
Old 04-08-2015, 07:15 AM   #8
JRT<3sME
Registered Users

We have a futon bunk bed in the living room. Gives you a couch or a bed. But we don't have an extra room or anything. Does yours have slide outs?
JRT<3sME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:29 AM   #9
Tshebby
Registered Users
seller

I had a 1978 airstream that same size and found it to be pretty roomy for our summer needs. We were a family of three at the time with an additional 120 lb furry friend. I LOVED the infinite amount of storage spaces in the airstream. They really thought of almost everything. You might want to look at some old plans for those to get ideas. I have way too much stuff to ever live in a tiny house full time but I have considered it as a mid life crisis idea haha!

One modification I saw once was the closet in a "center bath" layout model was removed to add a bunk bed with drawers underneath.

You also might be able to find the overhead cabinets from a salvage trailer. The original ones are far superior than any aftermarket ones I have ever seen.

One suggestion that I would make just knowing what drives me nuts, is consider how your family lives. For us, our girls and my husband are late to bed and late to rise. The campers I HATED were the ones where I had to wait for everyone to get up before I could transform the beds and relax with my coffee and start breakfast. I LOVED the airstream because we had sleeping spaces in the back which allowed me to get up, sit in the living room with coffee and start breakfast without waking the sleeping bears!

Buying, fixing, and flipping trailers is my hobby and I have always "thought" about living in one full time. Maybe one day!

Sounds like an awesome family adventure.
Tshebby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:25 AM   #10
SillyEllie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

great suggestions everyone. We plan to spend most of our time outside which we do anyways now. I saw this converted airsteam and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! http://tinyhouseswoon.com/a-small-life-airstream/ Our camper does not have a pop out. It's built similar to an airstream. I'll post pics when we pick it up