Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-16-2011, 04:41 PM   #1
MorningSunrise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Discouraged

Hey ladies,

My DS is 13 days old now and I am completely discouraged when it comes to breastfeeding. Its been downhill since the hospital. DS was born via c-section and complications in his breathing pattern kept him from me for 3 hrs. We never got to see a lactation consultant until much later on bc of this, and the one we did just handed me a nipple shield without giving me advice on using one without. Now DS is addicted to the shield, refuses to latch on without it, and I get frustrated with his wailing when I try to have him root around the nipple without the shield.
I am in horrible pain every time we feed...sore nipples and a serious sucker. My breasts are cracked anymore, I use lanolin and soothies all the time...but nothing helps. I dread our feedings because I am in so much pain. I called back to the lactation consultant to see if I could set up an appt to see her and she would only talk to me on the phone. I really want to breastfeed, but I'm at a loss. I'm afraid of pumping, but think that's the next step (afraid it won't work). I love the time I get to spend breastfeeding DS, but at the same time I like the thought of DH helping out with the feedings.
Advice from anyone? Should I just go into pumping? I don't have a pump yet, I'll be renting one from the hospital. I thought about trying lansinoh latch assist, but since there isn't a store that carries it here, I'd have to wait and order one online...and sadly, I'm not sure how much longer I can last. Any help/advice would be appreciated!

Advertisement

MorningSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:55 PM   #2
cherrycoke
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Discouraged

It'll be ok mama, hang in there!

When you have pain during feedings, does it go away or is it there the entire time he's latched on? My LC told me that even a correct latch will have pain in the beginning, the difference being that it only sticks around for 60 seconds then starts to fade. A bad latch will hurt much longer. Keep using the lanolin and soothies, it might not feel like they're helping but they are! Is there a Le Leche League group near you that you might be able to attend? Most of the groups will let you call their leaders with questions, even without being a member, and lots of leaders--while not necessarily certified LCs--can spot a bad latch and give you pointers on how to adjust the baby. They may also have more experience with nipple shields (I haven't personally used them).

Here's the link to finding a group in Alabama: http://www.lllalmsla.org/

The first couple of weeks are difficult for nearly everyone, if you can persevere it's completely worth everything, I promise!
Old 08-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
PrissyMaesMama
Registered Users
seller

DD wouldn't give up the shield either. We went to see the lactation consultant again when she was two weeks because I was so frustrated. She worked with us for a bit and DD nursed without for a few minutes. That evening at home she all of a sudden latched without the shield and we never used it again. I know it can be so frustrating I cried all the time about that stupid shield. My advise would be to try to find another lactation consultant if she wont meet with you in person, give your DS the bare breast first at EVERY feeding, and do as much skin-on-skin as you possibly can, if you get a pump use it for a minute or two and then try to latch your DS on as soon as you remove the pump. That pulls your nipples out and gets the milk flowing so DS might be more likely to latch. It will get better I promise!!!
Old 08-16-2011, 05:41 PM   #4
jbryant20070
Registered Users
seller

Your new baby is so cute! I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you are having such troubles. My daughter was born with breathing problems so they took her away and gave her a paci. I too was also led astray at the hospital I had my daughter at. However, eventually it did get better. See if there is possible a breastfeeding support group in your area... or talk to some friends who have breastfed their own babies if that's possible. I hope this helps and I am sure it will get better for you.
jbryant20070 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #5
VeganCupcake
Registered Users
seller
seller

You can contact a different lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. Here's the link to find an IBCLC in your area: http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3432

Maybe the shield you have is not the best size for you? I don't know that much about shields, but I thought they were supposed to prevent soreness and cracking. I wonder if a different size would work better?

Another thing that is healing for nipples is exposure to air, so if you can just be topless between feedings as much as possible, it will help a lot--or just leave your nursing bra/tank open and your nipples uncovered as much as you can.

You can hand-express a bit to get the milk flowing and see if that helps encourage him to latch without the shield. A lot of moms have a lot of success with hand expressing. Here's instructions: http://kellymom.com/momblog/blog-pos...of-breastmilk/

Like a PP said, the first 6 weeks (and especially the first 2) can be really difficult, but it's not impossible to overcome the difficulties you're having! Hang in there and get some good hands-on help from someone qualified!
Old 08-16-2011, 08:21 PM   #6
aept
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganCupcake

Like a PP said, the first 6 weeks (and especially the first 2) can be really difficult, but it's not impossible to overcome the difficulties you're having! Hang in there and get some good hands-on help from someone qualified!
Both my first and third sons had a frustrating start to bf'ing. 4-6 weeks was the magic age for them. Right now it is super hard but will be sooooo worth it for a nice long time after you get through this tough part. Your hard work now will pay off later! Stick to it, for both of you! I admit with my third I pushed through our difficulties as much for myself as him. I knew how nice and easy it was (by 6 weeks) with my first two and I love the ease of breastfeeding at night especially! I co-sleep and I love my sleep!
aept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
KristieW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nothing that anyone else hasn't said, just wanted to offer more !! And find a new LC or LLL group--you'll be SO SO glad you did!

Hang in there!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
MorningSunrise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks ladies! I'm feeling a bit more positive today. The pain hasn't gotten better, but my DH has been extremely supportive of everything and then what everyone has said has been great. I want to bf, that time I get with him is the best ever. He is so sweet and curious right now...he really is a good baby. Yesterday was a hard day all around, he was very fussy and couldn't be tamed...hoping for a better day today.
Our LLL is not great here, but I'm hoping to find others in the area who have babies and breastfeed. I have no friends that have babies, so they can't even begin to imagine what I am talking about. My mom has been great, but since I am adopted, she can't help out with any advice either.
I'm trying to look at every day as a new day, so I'm going to keep pushing through. I am def. going to look into IBCLC and the other suggestions. I think I need to be more patient with me and with him to latch on without the shield. I get frustrated when he gets frustrated and starts wailing....I don't want him to feel the way he feels when he wails! Patience is key...thank you ladies for all the help and guidance!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:13 AM   #9
MorningSunrise
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryant20070 View Post
Your new baby is so cute! I just wanted to say that I'm sorry you are having such troubles. My daughter was born with breathing problems so they took her away and gave her a paci. I too was also led astray at the hospital I had my daughter at. However, eventually it did get better. See if there is possible a breastfeeding support group in your area... or talk to some friends who have breastfed their own babies if that's possible. I hope this helps and I am sure it will get better for you.
Thank you I'm pretty biased, but I think he is cute too!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
3MonkeysMomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Is there a reason you are trying to eliminate the shield right away? Is it not fitting correctly and causing the issues? Is he not able to empty the breast with it on? If not, and you are experiencing cracking & bleeding, I would continue to use the shield. I know plenty of people who use them for months and are still able to eventually stop using them...I don't think I would worry about eliminating it until I was able to get the pain & cracking worked out.