Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #1
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

Think we have a dairy intolerance

DD is almost 11 weeks old, since about 4 weeks of age she has been increasingly fussy, gassy, and spits up constantly. She doesn't sleep well, even when co-sleeping she is restless and fussy. MDD had an intolerance to milk and lo started to remind me of that so I cut back on dairy for a week and after just 4 days she was happy, less gassy and sleeping for 4 hour chunks at night in her bassinet PLUS napping, something age hasn't done since 3-4 weeks old. Then yesterday I had pizza and within 2 feedings she was miserable and didn't sleep last night.
I remember how hard a dairy free diet was with my previous daughter, not looking forward to going there again. If I just cut out most dairy (like I had the past week) and she improves, do I have to cut out all dairy?
Sorry such a long-winded post!

Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
MrsStripe
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Think we have a dairy intolerance

I would say you should cut out most dairy. I didn't realize it was in bread etc when I cut it with DS1, but that didn't seem to affect him through me. Any time I had pizza, milk etc though he would puke and be gassy and fussy. It is really hard to do, but in the end I thought it was worth it.
MrsStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

After just 48 hours without dairy (or at least an obvious dairy) DD is already less fussy and took a 2 hour nap! My only issue now is I have a ton, and I mean a ton of frozen ebm (over 8000ml). Do you think I could have the babysitter use 1 bottle of frozen/day without making baby miserable? The rest of the bottles would be "dairy free"
Old 08-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
hiding57
Registered Users
seller

I would probably not risk it with the frozen milk unless you're going to run out or something. Donate most and start over with milk free milk. Both my older two I had to go off milk for, it was so hard. With dd I only had to do obvious milk, with ds I couldn't even have traces. I'd say if she seems better with major milk sources gone that might be enough but do keep an eye on it. Silk soy chocolate milk was my saving grace, blend it up with a frozen banana and some peanut butter...better than a milk shake.
hiding57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:30 AM   #5
Sonoran Bloom
Registered Users

I would not risk the frozen milk either. You can save it for when your lo is older and has grown out of the intolerance, but my dd is one and I still cannot have any trace of dairy. That is great news that cutting out only the obvious dairy produces such a positive change in your dd And for you...a non-dairy diet is hard.
Sonoran Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 11:15 AM   #6
Sha-nanagins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

So sorry for what you and little one are going through - both my boys had dairy sensitivities during their first year, and it's just heartbreaking to hear them shrieking with tummy pain!

I wouldn't recommend it as a substitute to cutting dairy out of your diet, but, if you should accidentally get something, Colic Calm was a lifesaver for us (if you aren't familiar with it, it's charcoal-based tummy drops that absorbs the gassiness, so stops the gas pain.).

It's fairly pricey - right a $20 a bottle - but so worth it when baby's screaming at 3 a.m.! I know there are several places it can be ordered online, but CVS also carries it around here.
Sha-nanagins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
nursemama23
Registered Users
seller
seller

It seems like things are going from bad to worse. Last week when I went without dairy, within 4 days she was less fussy, less gassy, and sleeping. Now I've been without dairy since Friday and it just seems like each day she gets fussier, if I put her down she screams. She isn't napping, even if she is completely asleep as soon as I lay her down she screams. We've tried the swing, the bouncer, crib, and bassinet. We've tried co-sleeping/bed sharing which in the past would work but even that she ends up fussing and sleeping restlessly which still means no sleep for me. I go back to work next week I'm feeling anxious and stressed.

If you've made it this far, bless you! I know it's only been a few days dairy free but for things to be getting worse instead of better is frustrating and exhausting. Add to that 2 of my girlfriends with babies the same age are formula feeding but sleep for 4-6 hours at a time at night.
Old 08-30-2011, 07:54 PM   #8
hiding57
Registered Users
seller

Is there something else you're eating instead? Have you really cut out it totally? Sometimes it can be confusing because you think you cut it all out but it's really sneaky. And then sometimes you might not realize you actually had none. But some babies have multiple issues to. Keeping a food diary sometimes can help. It's tough very tough but it's worth it in the end.
hiding57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
aumismommy
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nursemama23
DD is almost 11 weeks old, since about 4 weeks of age she has been increasingly fussy, gassy, and spits up constantly. She doesn't sleep well, even when co-sleeping she is restless and fussy. MDD had an intolerance to milk and lo started to remind me of that so I cut back on dairy for a week and after just 4 days she was happy, less gassy and sleeping for 4 hour chunks at night in her bassinet PLUS napping, something age hasn't done since 3-4 weeks old. Then yesterday I had pizza and within 2 feedings she was miserable and didn't sleep last night.
I remember how hard a dairy free diet was with my previous daughter, not looking forward to going there again. If I just cut out most dairy (like I had the past week) and she improves, do I have to cut out all dairy?
Sorry such a long-winded post!
Ds only needed me to have dairy and gluten out of my diet for the first 6 months, then he was fine if I had some. Hth

ISO: Ring Sling WC, Soft Star Shoes (brand) shoes size 8/9 (toddler) or infant
aumismommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
IsaacsMom33
Registered Users

My DS was extremely fussy about 20 minutes after every feeding and then he started to have bloody streaks in his poop around 3 - 4 weeks old. On advice of the doctor, I went of diary completely, but it still took 4 more weeks for him to be totally happy and another 2 weeks for there to be no blood. Now he's 6 mo. old and happy on my dairy-free diet, but I'm really nervous to start solids in case of other food sensitivities.
IsaacsMom33 is offline   Reply With Quote