Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
MyM&W
Registered Users
Formerly: maddiesmommy0503
seller

My Mood:
Healthy exercises to do while pregnant/TTC?

I'm a walker/runner and do kickboxing a couple times a week. I wanted to try something new, maybe get an indoor bike but didn't know if it was safe? Also I just tried the insanity cardio workout, got 9 minutes into it...had to stop. At first I couldn't get my heart rate down at 7min in, then after I stopped at the 9 minute mark I'm super duper crampy. I took my BIL's advice when he said that you could do this type of exercise up until the 2nd trimester, I'm sorry..I'd NEVER work out that hard while pregnant. At one point my heart rate was almost 200bpm. Not good. So that is out of the question. I can't believe people do those dvds! That cardio one lasts over 30 minutes!! I couldn't even make it to 10 and I'm in really good shape for the most part!

So, any recommendations?

Advertisement

Old 10-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #2
carlycurry
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: Healthy exercises to do while pregnant/TTC?

Exercise bike should be totally fine... really, anything that isn't getting your heart rate THAT super high like those videos, or any type of exercises with too much core work like plunges, etc some of the "harder" stuff seen in Jillian Michaels workouts... I would steer clear of that stuff.

Running, jogging, walking, cycling, swimming, elliptical, rowing... just examples.. there are tons of cardio exercises and light weight training you can do while pregnant.

Doctors advise you not to get your heart rate above 140 bpm, which is honestly nearly impossible... I would just watch, listen to your body, you will know if you are pushing too hard.
Baby #3 coming July 2015
carlycurry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #3
Greenwife
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Healthy exercises to do while pregnant/TTC?

I continued participating in a "core focus" workout class while pregnant. As I got farther along, I did leg lifts or other things while they did actual crunches, but otherwise we were doing a lot of balance work like light weights on an exercise ball, lunges, squats, etc. I was able to do it all the way through and having decent squatting muscles helped in labor too. It was very low impact, but helped me feel like I maintained some muscle tone. I also did a lot of walking and cycling (until I got to month 6 or 7).
Greenwife is offline   Reply With Quote