Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-06-2018, 03:54 PM   #11
kmrotski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The kid won't grow :/

Add chia seeds and flaxseed to everything. If she likes pudding you could make chia seed pudding. But you said no mushy foods so not sure if that's a go or not.

Advertisement

kmrotski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #12
MamaLlama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I had one who stopped growing at 4 because he had encopresis and serious constipation from that. We didn't know because he was still having bowel movements, but he had been toilet-resistant for so long that he was no longer processing what he ate. We were told he had allergies...he didn't. But once we started treatment for the constipation and withholding, and got him cleaned out and more regular, he started growing again. Another child had a dairy allergy and just gained very slowly for a long time. She's still thin. There are a lot of different possibilities, but it often has more to do with how they process what they do eat than just not eating enough. I hope you can get it figured out, that is so hard. Keep praying and searching, answers will come.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:30 PM   #13
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
She will drink smoothies but she also just eats full fat stuff. I am thinking about smoothies with some sort of supplemental something but I don't know what.

She LOVES peanut butter and eat is all the time.

Got a particular suggestion for the supplement?

She is a bio. 21.5 months, and she weighs 19 pounds with clothes and cloth diaper. :/ She didn't grow great while she was nursing either and I ended up putting her on formula at 6 months old.

She is pickier than the rest of mine but all in all still eats ok. I think she eats a totally normal amount for a toddler. She eats all kinds of meat, fruit, bread, dairy except actual milk, eggs/nuts, and crunchy raw veggies. She does not like mushy textures (like hot cereal, mashed potatoes, etc) and does not like cooked veggies.

Ugh. I'm scared we've got something like this going and I don't want more of that. 3 of our kids are GF. But all 3 had very noticeable issues before they went gluten free.

You know, I haven't tried that. Maybe I will get some.

There are different kinds of chocolate powder now. We just do Nestle with no sugar added but there are fancier brands available.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 04:32 PM   #14
KaleidoscopeEyes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen_batten View Post
She will drink smoothies but she also just eats full fat stuff. I am thinking about smoothies with some sort of supplemental something but I don't know what.

She LOVES peanut butter and eat is all the time.

Got a particular suggestion for the supplement?

She is a bio. 21.5 months, and she weighs 19 pounds with clothes and cloth diaper. :/ She didn't grow great while she was nursing either and I ended up putting her on formula at 6 months old.

She is pickier than the rest of mine but all in all still eats ok. I think she eats a totally normal amount for a toddler. She eats all kinds of meat, fruit, bread, dairy except actual milk, eggs/nuts, and crunchy raw veggies. She does not like mushy textures (like hot cereal, mashed potatoes, etc) and does not like cooked veggies.

Ugh. I'm scared we've got something like this going and I don't want more of that. 3 of our kids are GF. But all 3 had very noticeable issues before they went gluten free.

You know, I haven't tried that. Maybe I will get some.
Nido plus is pretty affordable, Walmart has it in the Hispanic section
KaleidoscopeEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:11 PM   #15
MamaChirpy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleidoscopeEyes View Post
Nido plus is pretty affordable, Walmart has it in the Hispanic section

Yes! This is the brand I couldn't think of.
MamaChirpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:57 PM   #16
mykidsaremyheart
Registered Users
seller

Have you heard of Leaky Gut Syndrome?

We had different symptoms & I was skeptical (so, ignore me if this is not helpful )but desperate when we were dealing with some challenges. Iím sure Iíve come across reading that slow weight gain was a symptom though.

One of the remedies is bone broth. I donít think it would hurt to try, perhaps as a supplement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2018, 08:26 PM   #17
jen_batten
Registered Users
seller
seller

^^I have heard of leaky gut but don't know much. I will Google.

I picked up a strawberry milk today (the loaded with sugar kind) and gave it to her but she won't drink it. DH is happy because it's his favorite lol.
jen_batten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:51 PM   #18
DreamInGreen
Registered Users
seller

Im sorry you're going through this. We worry so much about our children. Having a "reason" to worry only makes that worrying worse. Keep trying and be gentle to yourself. A great resource is a website that used to be called IncredibleSmoothies (it redirects to the new name). Check out the ice creams. There's a peanut butter one (peanut butter cup?) that's our fav. It's just a thicker smoothie that you can freeze into "ice cream". I just serve it to the boys as a smoothie. Adding coconut oil and/or flax seed is good in general. I add the powdered flax seed (Trader Joe's brand) to everything from corn bread to pancakes to smoothies. As for toddler formulas- I know enfamil has the "natural milk flavored" one with the red label. The vanilla flavored one tastes just like pediasure/ensure/canned meal replacement shake in my opinion. I was greatly disappointed that this is being marketed for older babies as it is the same sweetness that one would give an adult. There's a more natural one you can buy online called PediaSmart but I'd guess it's just as sweet. Consider goat milk in her cereal as the fats are supposed to be more easily digestible.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:49 PM   #19
gabby's mom
Registered Users
seller

I’m sorry too. Worrying about your kids is so hard. My son stopped gaining for several months and it turned out he had a dairy issue that was impeding nutrition absorption. Along the same lines of the things discussed above (gluten and leaky gut) if there is something that is causing an inflammatory response the body just can’t get what it needs. Unfortunately we were only able to pinpoint it with trial and error. We did learn about several ingredients to generally avoid generally though and carrageenan is a big one as it causes inflammation in everyone... Be careful with that one - it’s usually in chocolate milk/powders. We buy hot cocoa mix (the Kroger brand one) and it doesn’t have it in there to make chocolate milk. Hugs and best wishes. Sorry you are going through this .