Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-12-2014, 11:28 PM   #1
Shawkins930
Registered Users

Cloth diapers and minimalism

Slowly I am getting back into my minimalist ways. I had a brief lapse lol but now we are back on track. In every aspect I can be minimalist and not NEED so much. Except when it comes to cloth diapers! I recently discovered Best Bottoms... It's tough not to over buy even though I know they are useful. I'm definitely not a cloth hoarder and I only have enough to wash every two days at this point. I'm just curious, what is it about cloth diapers that get us mamas crazy thinking on them all the time? I feel as though it's part of being a mom to the tinys and just becoming obsessed with what is best for them. Food, clothing, shelter, etc are taken care of so we focus that primitive instinct on dipes?!? Lol not quite sure where I'm going with this, just throwing things out there. Anyone else have any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com

Advertisement

Shawkins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:24 AM   #2
tikimont
Registered Users
seller

Re: Cloth diapers and minimalism

I think God put in females the ability to make mundane things such as mama pads, diapers etc into fun and pretty things. I think we would go crazy otherwise. It is natural to appreciate beauty mixed with functional items. As for wanting more than you need, I think that is an American culture thing.
tikimont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:16 AM   #3
Agla
Super Admin We can do it!
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think you touched on it when you said we want the best for them. There are so many options and the quest for the perfect diaper can take over.

Maybe it's because they are cute and functional?
Old 06-21-2014, 04:53 AM   #4
ladybuglove
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Yes we do tend to go crazy and obsessively think of them haha I am wanting to get out of debt so that has been a good way to see what we actually need and sell the rest.
ladybuglove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:31 AM   #5
terpblondi
Registered Users
seller

Haha - I keep telling DH that I'm not the only one obsessed! I may show him this thread. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
terpblondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:25 PM   #6
jacandy
Registered Users
seller

I wish I knew!! I like bumgenius, applecheeks, wcw bubble shorties, and sbish uw and bw. Omg it's ridiculous. I really should just do flips and prefolds. Then I'd actually be saving like I intended to do!

http://www.iheartfrugality.com
jacandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:21 PM   #7
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

I would say boredom and a competitive nature. Also they are so stinking cute.

I do have a crazy amount of flats. Not quite sure how that happened. But I am going to use them in craft projects instead of as diapers so that doesn't count right? If I let my kids use paint on them and turn them into a quilt top that isn't a diaper expense anymore. Or if I tie dye them and turn them into tie dyed dresses for my nieces. That means they aren't diaper expenses anymore right?
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

There was about 4 years I went diaper crazy. Tried them all, kept cute prints, always found something bigger/better, constantly buying/selling. NOW, I have truly found a place where I am 'okay' without the 'need' for the perfect cloth diaper stash. Maybe I have just got over the hype finally? I'm not sure.

I have 5 dozen GMD prefolds, 20 covers (Thirsties, Econobum, Flip), 10 Sbish fitteds for night diapers, and about 20 bamboo and hemp doublers and inserts. I wash twice a week, so this much gets me through having to wash too often. I love everything about it. There are times I miss my AIO's and pockets, but I love the natural fibers, easy to clean covers, and dry overnight system. I also have made fleece shorties/longies that my kids wear instead of regular pants and shorts, so they are always dry. It's cheaper than buying new pants and shorts, they love how soft they are, and I never worry about leaking. So I let myself have fun with colors and designs for their fleece (homemade of course).

Last edited by MyKzooFamily; 06-29-2014 at 12:02 PM.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 03:31 PM   #9
Kalohabreeze
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Definitely can be overwhelming at first I think the second and third times around you settle in to what you like best , my main go to is prefolds and wool. !
Kalohabreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 06:37 PM   #10
moonlightblonde
Registered Users
seller

I went through this with#1. #2 had much less! (Nearly 4 years between them). Dd2 pl-ed spontaneously & I realized how silly that short phase is. #3 I'm using a combo of 10 aios that were dd2s from birth, and some covers. My favourites are Nicki's & sweet pea (ie. cheap!) well fitting bullet proof covers with flats.