Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-06-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
bluecandi
Resident Dave Ramsey Guru
seller

My Mood:
Fighting a losing battle.

Really struggling to get and stay minimal. It's so true that if you don't stay on top of the stuff it multiplies. I feel too busy to purge and mom and mil keep bringing kids clothes by the truckload. And everybody but me is a pack rat! I need to keep the hand me downs too but could definitely lose at least half of it. Not to be dramatic but it's all closing in on me.

Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 03:41 AM   #2
littlewoolybaby
Registered Users

Re: Fighting a losing battle.

Ack yes! My in laws were here this weekend and though DH is with me on the not buying anything except the barest essentials before baby is born they were badgering us for what they could buy. I get that they are excited - it's their first grandchild but they were in our very small apartment when they did this. It's so obvious that there is no room for excess. I was so happy to hear DH tell them that what we really want is to have them come and see the baby and when it gets older to drop it off with them for a while.

They also insist on celebrating adult birthdays with tons of gifts. LOLWUT? Why? Not only are we all grown up so birthdays really should have lost their appeal, we have too much stuff and they have wayyy too much stuff. Going into their basement is a nightmare and they have a storage unit which scares the bejesus out of me. I tried to counter this by asking for specific high-quality housewares to replace our old junkier stuff. I kept it to the budget they would have spent before. But then they got what we wanted and went to the flea market and bought more because there weren't enough packages to open. The worst part of this is they bought old books and LPs - my husband's collecting weakness. So they are staying. Ack! They are sweet and lovely people but do not grok the less stuff concept.

What is the most baffling is that they love being in our minimalist space - they see how easy it is to find things (esp in the kitchen) and compliment us on it. But they insist on buying us stuff. Whyyyy??

Last edited by littlewoolybaby; 06-10-2014 at 03:43 AM.
littlewoolybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Punkie04
Registered Users

My Mood:

This year we are really taking a look at what our "needs" are, as well as our "wants". I hope we can purge and stick to basics!

Last edited by Punkie04; 06-30-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Punkie04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #4
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Seriously that hoarding show on TLC (I am watching it on Netflix) is the best thing that has happened for this situation.
My DH has been watching it with me, and he is scared into purging and changing how he saves things.

I have been talking about it to everyone, and saying it is motivating us to donate stuff we're not using...ergo, if you keep giving us stuff we don't need, it is going to end up in a garbage bag on my front porch going to a charity b/c we're not keeping extra stuff around anymore.

I do mention that we are grateful for hand me downs, but sometimes we do get things we just don't need, and we want to pass them on quickly to someone else who can use them.

A certain relative who often is very generous and buys us stuff we don't need (i.e., kids clothes, just b/c she sees it and wants to buy it) actually called me today to ask if we needed the item she was looking at...and I was able to say no thanks, we already have them.

Talking about the hoarding show is super non-confrontational, I don't like to hurt anyone's feelings or act like we don't appreciate people's generosity.
alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 02:39 AM   #5
SillyEllie
Registered Users
Formerly: ardygurly
seller

My Mood:

I feel like I'm constantly getting rid of stuff but finding I'm getting just much stuff back too. My mother in law is always dropping off their hand me down clothes to me. I know we have MORE then enough clothes so what I've been doing now is when she leaves I throw whatever she gives me in my car and I drop it off at the thrift store. She doesn't know it yet that she's just using me as the middle man lol
SillyEllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
lensesforeyes
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyEllie
I feel like I'm constantly getting rid of stuff but finding I'm getting just much stuff back too. My mother in law is always dropping off their hand me down clothes to me. I know we have MORE then enough clothes so what I've been doing now is when she leaves I throw whatever she gives me in my car and I drop it off at the thrift store. She doesn't know it yet that she's just using me as the middle man lol
My grandma is a hoarder and buys me stuff from the thrift store all the time. Most of it is stuff I rather die than wear, not to mention I have enough clothes. I've gotten to the point I don't even look through the bags, it just goes straight to the goodwill.