Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-17-2014, 09:23 PM   #21
weareborgswife
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Homeschoolers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeAMom View Post
Bringing this old thread back to life. Does anyone have any minimalist homeschooling, tips, tricks, links to good ideas or pics of homeschooling spaces (whether it be an official room or just where you store or use your stuff)? This can be in regards to how you decide which curriculum/reference/picture/chapter books to buy or keep, supplies that you do or don't stock up on, how to store what you have, keeping a handle on toys as the kids spend a lot of time at home, a minimalist schedule or whatever else you could help a newbie out with. I only have one child to homeschool so I won't have to keep things once she's done with them unless it seems like something we might use again in the future.
I have been 'saving' curriculum for my 3rd child who is almost done with K... it has been SO freeing to pass things on as she completes them.

One thing that I have chosen is to stick with what is working- there are so many options and programs and every one who uses them says "this is the BEST"... I have a couple of friends who have jumped around from program to program constantly buying and trying new things... I always get tempted to jump on the band wagon, but I have found that simple is better for us- doing "group" learning as much as we can (ages 6, 9 and 11) is one way to simplify- for our "core" we use a program that both my 9 and 11 year olds can work together in. My 6 year old sits in on some of it as well.

Since you only have 1 child it is much simpler! Keep to the "basics" - math, language arts/phonics, and read, read, read... use the library so you don't have to store so many resources on every subject. Try things out from the library before you invest (our library has many Charlotte Mason style resources- like Story of the World). A basic set of art supplies- colored pencils, crayons, markers, water colors, glue stick, elmer's glue, regular pencils, a pair of safety scissors and a ream of copy paper, construction paper, and a good sketch journal give you many options for creating. If your child likes "collage" making a bin with some cotton balls, pompoms, wiggly eyes, etc can be fun. The rest of you learning can be done hands on as you explore the world at home and around you- ie- cooking teaches math, science, reading, and health and nutrition and social studies if you create a variety of ethnic foods. We do have an extensive collection of field guides, and science tools- magnifying glass, shells, nuts, leaves sent through the lamination machine, and other "treasures". We also have invested in some multi use things like Snap Circuits- (let you explore how electric currents work to create light, sound, and other things).

Advertisement

weareborgswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:51 PM   #22
browneyedgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Here's a link to my homeschool stuff. We got a library cart from land of nod, and everything goes on there. I have more stuff on an expedit shelf unit in my basement. I just keep current stuff upstairs.
browneyedgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:52 PM   #23
browneyedgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://instagram.com/p/dzTM2FO_6R/
browneyedgirl is offline   Reply With Quote