Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-06-2014, 09:52 AM   #11
loving my family
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: How did you start?

Thank you PinkLemonade7503 you are right I can ask the older kids what they love then keeps those things.

And for these words
"Does this item help me achieve the vision I have for my family?"

I need to ask myself this as I go through the house it will help me.

Advertisement

loving my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:40 PM   #12
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:
Low hanging fruit. I first went for things that I knew had to go or big items. After weeks of that, I had momentum to help with the items that take more thought. Watching Hoarders helped us declutter, too.
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:12 PM   #13
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

I just shoveled out my teenage daughters room. SIX bags of trash. SIX! That child is such a hoarder. She likes to collect stuff that she might use in crafts like cardboard, toilet paper tubes, twisty ties, etc, etc. She was also saving all her notebooks from the last several years of school.

She loves her clean room and didn't seem to notice I threw away all that stuff. The only thing she was concerned about the contents of her "memory box". It had dumped on the floor and I had tossed some of the old birthday cards and notes, so I had to dig through the trash to return them.

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #14
loving my family
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernbelle View Post
I just shoveled out my teenage daughters room. SIX bags of trash. SIX! That child is such a hoarder. She likes to collect stuff that she might use in crafts like cardboard, toilet paper tubes, twisty ties, etc, etc. She was also saving all her notebooks from the last several years of school.

She loves her clean room and didn't seem to notice I threw away all that stuff. The only thing she was concerned about the contents of her "memory box". It had dumped on the floor and I had tossed some of the old birthday cards and notes, so I had to dig through the trash to return them.
My oldest loves to save the same things for future projects and stores her hoard in her closet as well . I am sorry to laugh but it is nice to know I am not the only one who has a kid that does the same as mine
I have 2 bags of girl clothes ready to donate that was easier as they have outgrown the stuff. Then 2 bags of toys!! They are the 13gal size trash bag, nothing huge but it is getting easier as I go.
I also through away some soft blocks they are worn out and longer safe for babies to play with. (walmart size bag)
Now to go get back to it, have a good day and thanks again
loving my family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 02:52 PM   #15
KiltedKingdom
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernbelle View Post

My boys have been hoarding anything cardboard, too. They've made themselves full body armor for their nerf wars and boxes to store their cardboard in They threw away everything but the armor yesterday, I was so proud of them! It's good to know I'm not the only one dealing with this
Old 05-12-2014, 02:21 PM   #16
lauren_brooke
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm coming back to read this later. We are getting started as well. We are trying to pay off debt so we've been looking at everything we can sell, and get rid of. I'm tired of the clutter and it doesn't all get used nearly enough. Plus, we're paying off the debt to get me home...and I don't want to deal with all the junk when I'm home all the time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2014, 10:53 AM   #17
monkey29
Registered Users
seller

We're moving again (its been 4 months) and I am purging again. We will have very little storage space in our new apartment, so I am getting rid of anything not necessary!

I found out that we're having a girl, so I am purging the baby clothes we had saved from DS-- anything I wouldnt put on a girl gets donated. We probably will have more kids after this baby, but I am not moving a big box of boy clothes! If we ever have another boy, we will just get new stuff for him.

I need to clean through DS's toys, but that is hard, because we already rotate toys, so most are in a closet in his room. His nap is the only time I can go through them! Again, purging anything he has outgrown that I wouldn't want to keep for a baby girl.

I am going to purge my kitchen linens-- cloth napkins, tablecloths, dishtowels, etc. Anything stained or ratty is going. Same with dishes and pots and pans.
monkey29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 02:22 PM   #18
delladea
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

When I was a kid it seemed like we were always cleaning, my mother was always grouchy because the house wasn't clean, and yet they (my mother and father) would constantly buy us stuff. We did have good times together, but the grumbling about the state of the house and the clutter was far more common and most of what I remember. I don't want that for my daughter. My major turning point was realizing we managed to fill every closet in our house full along with the spare bedroom, when before we lived comfortably in an apartment 1/2 the size of our house. I come from a family of hoarders so I've gotten vigalent about at least getting rid of something before bringing a new thing in.

My first project has been books. I've slowly gotten rid of half our books. Many of them I never even read but kept them because I told myself i would read it one day. There was a large stack of books in our bedroom closet after we ran out of room on the shelves, and as of yesterday there are no more books in the closet! I've also forced myself to be content with borrowing books from the library or having Kindle copies.

My next two projects are excess kitchen items and my daughter's toys. Yesterday I cleaned out a drawer and over half of the gadgets were duplicates or stuff we hadn't used in years. Next on my list is the spice cabinet (Hubs seems to collect exotic spice mixes which we never seem to use) and dishes.
delladea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:52 PM   #19
mrshistory
Registered Users
seller

I am also trying to declutter, start the path to less stuff. It's so hard with a new baby though. Hoping I get the willpower to stick to it and get rid of bunches of stuff! (And not buy unnecessary items).
mrshistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:47 AM   #20
aprilldavis
Registered Users

This is all really helpful info. I'm just getting started trying to purge...and I underestimated how much I would want to hold onto stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
aprilldavis is offline   Reply With Quote