Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-08-2014, 07:44 PM   #1
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:
Parties w/o Gifts!!!

For DD's birthday invites this year and last year, we asked for no gifts. One other family that we know did the same last year. We were invited to 2 other parties that both invites ask that gifts aren't given!! I'm so excited and hope this catches on in my area. I'm use to finding like minded people on this subforum, but not usually IRL. One small step for mom, one giant leap for decluttering momkind.

Advertisement

Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:56 PM   #2
Southernbelle
Registered Users
seller

Re: Parties w/o Gifts!!!

Nice! I'd love if that caught on here!

Mama to 6: DD 6/00, DS 2/02, DD 11/05, DS 12/10, DS 5/14 and DD 7/15
3 angel babies from miscarriages
Southernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:19 PM   #3
MrsMartin2013
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Around here it is not uncommon to request that gifts be donated to the local childrens hospital, which I love! I think it is great for kiddos to learn to celebrate without gifts!
MrsMartin2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:50 AM   #4
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
It seems great, but most parents I know bring presents anyway. The one time the invite said "no gifts" (for a 5 yo's party) and we didn't bring a present, we were the only ones who hadn't brought anything. It was embarrassing. I might keep generic gift card in the glove compartment or something, just in case.
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
tesslouise
Registered Users
seller
seller

Another solution is to collect books to donate to the library or another cause. Friends get to bring something but it goes somewhere that is not your house.
Amelia, married to Bear since 12/31/04; our daughter Rowan was born 8/6/09; our daughter Sapphira was born 8/17/12; due with DD3 6/17/15 (but after one two weeks late and one three weeks early, I'm not expecting a due-date baby!)
tesslouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:26 PM   #6
EssentialGoodz
Registered Users
seller

When buying gifts for other people's children I try to think minimal or useful. I know you're talking about no gifts and that's cool that parents would think to do that My girls have never been to a party where there would be no presents brought....so I like to buy art supplies> paints, paintbrushes, crayons, colored pencils, markers and paper or items to make art with. I figure most kids will use these items.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
Addicted2Chocolate
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssentialGoodz
When buying gifts for other people's children I try to think minimal or useful. I know you're talking about no gifts and that's cool that parents would think to do that My girls have never been to a party where there would be no presents brought....so I like to buy art supplies> paints, paintbrushes, crayons, colored pencils, markers and paper or items to make art with. I figure most kids will use these items.
I always buy art supplies as well. Totally gender neutral and good for a child of any age.
Addicted2Chocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:11 PM   #8
R055ANA
Registered Users

Hi there!

TypeAmom, that's cool that you had a no gift party and attended one also.

I recently attended an informal casual b-day celebration. The invite didn't say not to bring a gift but we still didn't. It was held @ a park and I was happy to bring some snacks to share but nothing else. I doubt most people brought gifts and if they did they were put away and not opened during the get together.

I have no problem not taking a gift even if I am the only who didn't bring anything. During Easter we got together w/ some friends and they got my kids some treats which was nice but I forgot all about getting gifts for them. Again I brought food to share but no gift. I still sat there while everyone looked at their gift and oohhh and ahhh just like everyone else.
R055ANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:17 PM   #9
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R055ANA
I have no problem not taking a gift even if I am the only who didn't bring anything.
I envy you. I worry too much about what other people think so even if no one said anything or looked at me funny (which I bet they wouldn't), I'd still be too embarrassed to not bring a gift.
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:54 PM   #10
Pandora75
Registered Users

We are coming up on two birthdays. We've cleaned through the toys and stored them for now (haven't been missed really), and I'm dreading the gifts and just plain junk that often comes. I hate the cluttered little pieces of useless, irrelevant junk that my kids get. I think we'll say no gifts, but I'm worried people will gift anyways. How rude would it be to include a small list of needed items or electronic access to said list?
Pandora75 is offline   Reply With Quote