Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #1
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
moving to a smaller house

am I crazy?

We are a family of 5 and the plan right now is to stay that size. We currently have an 1800 sq ft. house, and I feel like it's too big. We have quite a bit of space that we don't use, or it just gets cluttered and not used, and quite a bit of space storing things that I would be happy to get rid of. Our yard is about .25 of an acre.

We are looking at a 1300 sq ft house. It has a good layout and a nice basement (so it does have that extra space). The house itself has been well taken care of. It has a .69 acre backyard, and it is even right across the street from the school the kids will attend through 8th grade (so no more driving across town 4-6 times a day).

Our families think we are nuts for considering a smaller house. Are we crazy?

Advertisement

alaskamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: moving to a smaller house

Sounds great to me. You are trading inside space for outside space. 1300 sq ft may be small but the basement adds a lot assuming that isn't being included in the sq footage.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
superbeans
Registered Users
seller

No! I LOVE our small house. It is so manageable! I can clean it easily, do the yard easily, the bills are less, the list goes on and on. Saturday or sunday the last thing I want to do is spend the entire day doing house stuff, I want to hang out with my family. The only thing I would change would be to have 2 bathrooms instead of 1.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
skester88
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

NO! I have lived in a bus with my partner and three dogs. It was crazy at times but definitely one of the best experiences of my life. I am currently living in a 600 sq. ft. home with my partner, 3 mo. old, and 3 dogs. I love it! I still am downsizing even.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #5
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Sounds great! Does your existing house have a finished basement as well? Because if it doesn't, then you are really trading 1800 sq ft for 2600 (I have never understood why realtors and architects don't add finished basements in that total number when they always add the footage of second stories )....Anyway, in that case you would be going significantly larger, not smaller, and I would hesitate to do that if you are already feeling like it's too big. But if it does have a basement, then you are going from 3600 to 2600, which would be great for a family of 5 IMO .

We have 3400 counting the finished basement and I feel like it's way too much for the 6 of us. I like about 500 sq ft per person. Not very minimal compared to most of the posters in this forum
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for all the replies, I needed that.
What do you consider finished--our current basement has a finished floor but I wouldn't call it living space. There is a huge bar that takes up half of the main part, and then there are two rooms. We mostly "store" stuff (i.e., things we don't use and would get rid of) down there, I think if we cleaned it out there wouldn't be much left. The smaller house has a walk out basement, and it has carpet and a bedroom and a rec room area (plus laundry room, utility room, etc).
Old 06-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #7
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskamum View Post
Thanks for all the replies, I needed that.
What do you consider finished--our current basement has a finished floor but I wouldn't call it living space. There is a huge bar that takes up half of the main part, and then there are two rooms. We mostly "store" stuff (i.e., things we don't use and would get rid of) down there, I think if we cleaned it out there wouldn't be much left. The smaller house has a walk out basement, and it has carpet and a bedroom and a rec room area (plus laundry room, utility room, etc).
If the basement of your current house isn't really usable, and the new house is....Well, then you are sizing up to the new house, not down. Going from 1800 sq ft to 2600. Which like I said before, I think is a very nice size for a family of 5, and it sounds like the new house has a ton of other really nice qualities. But if you are feeling like your current house is already too big, then the new house isn't going to fix that because it is significantly bigger. If that makes sense
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 11:54 AM   #8
alaskamum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You are correct melinda29.

Sent from my iPod touch using diaperswappers.com
Old 06-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #9
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

We are 3 adults and 3 (soon to be 4) kids in 996 sq ft, with no basement/attic. I think our house is perfect! Only thing I would change is adding a half bath.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:36 AM   #10
MyKzooFamily
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

We are a family of 6, and we live in 1300-1400 sq.ft. and every day, I want to cry with all the wasted space I am paying utilities to heat/cool, have to find funiture to fill, etc. Ideally, I would like an 800 sq.ft. home, with 3 small bedrooms (one for girls, one for boys, one for mom/dad). One large living room with LOTS of sunlight, and a small or walk-through kitchen with laundry under counters. We rented a house last year that was 1,000 sq.ft. and I LOVED it. Miss is dearly.

I'm trying to get hubby on board for a 'Tiny House' while we continue to pay off debt. I would love the experience, and it would be a perfect time for it in about 2 years when our kids are small, no baby equipment is needed, and we can be almost debt free, so able to purchase a small piece of land and put the Tiny House on it. BUT... I want to save the money I would put into a tiny house for our next house. We REALLY want to build our next house from the ground up. I need high, huge windows for lots of sunlight, fully insulated walls, solar panels, half the house on certain circuit breakers so I can cut power to them during the day to save electricity, a large living room and smaller bedroom living spaces, and a wide open feel, in minimal square footage.

If you are struggling with the decision to go small, I highly recommend checking out Tiny Houses to keep you motivated. And any minimalist forums or websites to encourage you to live with less, so you can 'live more'.

http://tinyhouseblog.com/
This is one of my favorites.
MyKzooFamily is offline   Reply With Quote