Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 07-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
frugalmomof2
Registered Users

DH is on board!!!!!

For years and years I have purged stuff and DH has collected stuff. He doesn't care too much about my purging but he has always been a person who sees success and happiness equate with having stuff. The bigger the house and the more stuff inside it, the more successful and happy you are.

We have spent 6 months having in depth discussions about our future and needs vs. wants. We are now a team - purging until we can't purge anymore and then our goal is to keep going.

We live in a posh suburb in a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath townhome with a 2 car garage and full basement.

Our goal is to move to a 2 bedroom (with us using the living room as a double for our bedroom based on our use and needs of our bedroom now) home when our daughter enters Kindergarten next year. Our long term goal is to buy land and either a home or build a small 2 bedroom minimalist home and be able to focus on living and family rather than working tons of hours to pay for our "things".

I'm so excited he is on board, it's a HUGE step. This week a bunch of furniture is going - so far sold a spare queen bed/frame, some tall wicker shelves, extra lamps, a desk, a stereo/record player, a large microwave stand, a wooden rocking chair, a task chair, a loveseat, a weight bench, a lawnmower.... and that's just the beginning. While he's "excited" about this we are going to spend our holiday attacking the basement - our goal is to have it empty within 2 weeks via donating/recycling/selling the furniture and items down there. We already closed off one of the bathrooms and locked it.

The kicker is I run in home childcare, so all of our space is double in usage and we have many childcare toys/furniture I cannot purge until we move.

Yay for turning over a new leaf!

Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
diana51
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: DH is on board!!!!!

That us awesome! It is great that your husband is on the same page as you now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2014, 12:12 PM   #3
MamaJules
Registered Users
seller

Love it. Makes it so much easier when he is on board. I have been working on getting rid of stuff for the last 18 months or so. DH is more than happy to just let crap sit around wherever he happens to put it, for weeks on end. This has caused us plenty of arguments and frustration. Last week I gave away my elliptical machine that no one was using (it had some issues, so it wasn't worth my time to try to sell it) and once it was gone, DH looked at the empty spot and said it looked so nice having the empty space. And then he said "You know, what you keep saying really does make sense. The less stuff you have the easier it is to clean up." I don't think it will really change his actions much, but it sure is nice to hear that he is maybe at least a little bit starting to get it!
Old 07-02-2014, 12:25 PM   #4
frugalmomof2
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaJules View Post
Love it. Makes it so much easier when he is on board. I have been working on getting rid of stuff for the last 18 months or so. DH is more than happy to just let crap sit around wherever he happens to put it, for weeks on end. This has caused us plenty of arguments and frustration. Last week I gave away my elliptical machine that no one was using (it had some issues, so it wasn't worth my time to try to sell it) and once it was gone, DH looked at the empty spot and said it looked so nice having the empty space. And then he said "You know, what you keep saying really does make sense. The less stuff you have the easier it is to clean up." I don't think it will really change his actions much, but it sure is nice to hear that he is maybe at least a little bit starting to get it!
That's awesome he's appreciating what you are doing! My DH was excited last night when someone came to buy our spare bedroom set (which was in the basement collecting dust)
Old 07-03-2014, 07:24 AM   #5
TypeAMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Di**ae
seller

My Mood:
Congratulations!!! Having a teammate will make minimizing so much easier!
Slave to my
TypeAMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:21 AM   #6
BNC
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Yay! Ive been working on dh too, but so far sttuff still equals success.

Search with SwagBucks & earn gift cards!
BNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:12 PM   #7
Marbie
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
That's so exciting! What a major change you will be making!!

I think it's so funny that you locked up a bathroom--I wanted a house with only two bathrooms and dh wanted three. Guess who cleans all three?? I'd lock up one if he'd ever agree to it.
Marbie is offline   Reply With Quote