Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 08-03-2014, 03:53 PM   #1
GreenHome Sewing
Registered Users
Formerly: Jonah Baby
seller
seller

My Mood:
Less stuff versus saving money?

How do you find your balance? Some people say minimalism is cheaper, but I'm not convinced.
I like to save money, but I really like the satisfaction of less stuff. I am conflicted on some things. Examples:
*Laundry detergent - bigger bottle=cheaper, less space under my very crowded kitchen sink and I have to carry it to and from laundromat which is awful or impossible.
*Chinchilla cage bedding - big bag of wood shavings lasts us for like 8 months!=HUGE amount of space in my kitchen taken up by bag and frequent messes made from not-sealed bag and "helping toddler hands".
*Cereals! BIG value bag/box is way cheaper=box will not fit in my dumb cupboards so I have to transfer to a Rubbermaid container or the plastic packaging, causes frequent spills and/or big Rubbermaid container can get stuck, I'm short so can't reach it well, then the top flies off and cereal goes everywhere....
Other food items can apply here too ^^
I have mostly stopped buying canned items altogether, no surplus issue there.

Some things are no-brainers to me. Contact solution buy1get1? Done, takes up little space and the sale is worth it. Toilet paper I WILL squeeze into cabinet on a really good sale no matter what it takes haha.
Some items I stopped buying big. New pack of pens or pencils? Meh, only need a 3-pack not a 24, nice minimalism.
I stopped grocery shopping in big quantities and stocking up. I haven't figured out the cost difference either way yet but I find it way easier to keep track of what we use and what we need when I go to store once (or twice!) a week plus the local farm stand once.

Small apartment, no storage options, teeny kitchen, ya know...no space for extra stuff. I'm still trying to pare down extra stuffs too.
So does it bother you to spend more in order to save more room? I guess that's what I am asking!

Advertisement

Old 08-03-2014, 05:15 PM   #2
qsefthuko
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Less stuff versus saving money?

I think it is your definition of minimalist. To me less stuff doesn't mean going without things you will use. It means not hoarding things you don't need. Instead of having 3-4 partially used bottles of shampoo you have 1 bottle and maybe some extras for back up. Instead of keeping a back up of all your appliances you keep only the one you are using.

So buying a huge jumbo box if you are going to use it all isn't buying what you don't need. It would be silly to buy a smaller container of detergent if it saves you money to buy a larger container. However, do your math. I have often found the larger containers are not necessarily cheaper oz per oz. Sometimes the better value is the smaller containers. So many people don't think to cost compare. Generic isn't always cheaper either.

Peanut butter for example. Locally it is cheaper, oz per oz, to get the smaller containers than it is to get the larger bulk size.

I cost compared True Value trash bags to Glad trash bags. I found it depends on the size of your package. Some packages were cheaper in one brand and others were cheaper in the other brand. The jumbo package, at least locally, were cheaper in Glad than True Value.
qsefthuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
Shawkins930
Registered Users

I have a hard time with this too. It can really give one anxiety to stress over these little things. Do what is easier for you! Buy that little box of detergent so you can take it to the laundromat easily, then save money somewhere else. It's really all about your sanity. You are the mama and need to give yourself a break sometimes.

Being minimalist is not just about stuff. It's about removing all excess in your life. This includes decisions. Find what works for you and do it! It will save you time, stress, and mental capacity which you can put towards your family.

Sent from my iPhone using diaperswappers.com
Shawkins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:52 PM   #4
juliefarnsworth87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by qsefthuko View Post
I think it is your definition of minimalist. To me less stuff doesn't mean going without things you will use. It means not hoarding things you don't need. Instead of having 3-4 partially used bottles of shampoo you have 1 bottle and maybe some extras for back up. Instead of keeping a back up of all your appliances you keep only the one you are using.

So buying a huge jumbo box if you are going to use it all isn't buying what you don't need. It would be silly to buy a smaller container of detergent if it saves you money to buy a larger container. However, do your math. I have often found the larger containers are not necessarily cheaper oz per oz. Sometimes the better value is the smaller containers. So many people don't think to cost compare. Generic isn't always cheaper either.

I agree with this. I coupon a lot and get freebies from time to time. I have cut down on things I don't use and therefor had room for doubles of things I will use. For snacks etc I have one bin in my pantry that all the pre packed snacks go in. So that saves room and mess and hassle with all those darn boxes. As far as the chinchilla fluff (?? sorry IDK what thats called) I had that problem with dog food. Put it in a larger tupperware that was like $6 from Target and the toddler can't get in it and it doesn't go flying everywhere and it is sealed. End of story.

I say buy more if it saves you more OF THE ITEMS YOU USE.
juliefarnsworth87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:48 PM   #5
LinnyLou02
Registered Users
seller

Yes, I think of this often as well. For me if it is more of a hassle to buy in bulk (ie no room to store or pain to get out) I just can't justify it to save $.50 or whatever it may be. The stress I experience outweighs saving a little cash. I'm weird though!
LinnyLou02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:33 PM   #6
homebirthmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i also wont buy in bulk because of some of the above mentioned. but laundry soap, i would. I would get a small container and bring that with me to do the wash tho. not sure if its powder or liquid but either is a VERY easy solution.

i do not ever buy cereal in bulk. it would be stale so quick here OR it would not fit. i dont buy flour in bulk either even tho I would probably save some since I bake alot, I just dont have room.

I also hate large bottles of shampoo and wash unless you are transferring it to a often used smaller bottle. nothing bugs me more than a nearly empty container and certianly a giant one taking up way too much space. I would gladly buy a smaller container over large UNLESS its the only bottle in the shower
homebirthmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
juliefarnsworth87
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinnyLou02 View Post
Yes, I think of this often as well. For me if it is more of a hassle to buy in bulk (ie no room to store or pain to get out) I just can't justify it to save $.50 or whatever it may be. The stress I experience outweighs saving a little cash. I'm weird though!
I can see your point. For what I buy though I don't have a problem space wise. If I did I think I'd be in the same boat.
juliefarnsworth87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:39 AM   #8
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

IMO buying bulk items that will get used is in no way conflicting with minimalism. I picked up a quarter cow yesterday and now have 150 pounds of meat in my freezer. It will take us a looooong time to eat our way through that, but at $4/pound for grassfed beef--including steaks and cuts we normally wouldn't have bought because they are typically $15-20/pound--the savings far outweighs the fact that we will have meat sitting there until it's gone. I didn't buy it just because it was a "good deal", it WILL get used. I have bought 10 bottles of laundry detergent when there is a B1G2 sale going on because it is something that WILL get used. I have tons of storage space, though--empty closets and all. I don't use coupons because they are never for things that we use, so stocking up on 25 boxes of cereal that are practically free? It doesn't matter that it is a great deal, it conflicts with minimalism because we wouldn't eat it up (at least, not in less than 10 years )

Last edited by Melinda29; 08-07-2014 at 08:45 AM.
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:43 AM   #9
Melinda29
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebirthmom View Post
I would gladly buy a smaller container over large UNLESS its the only bottle in the shower
We do that--keep a gallon of shampoo in every shower, with a pump top for easy dispensing, and use it as both shampoo and body wash. It is literally the only bottle in the shower
Melinda29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:13 AM   #10
browneyedgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I regularly shop at costco. They have a great organic selection that does save me money. Yes, my giant jug of EVOO takes up a lot of room, but it does get used.

Also, by using that big jug, it's more environmentally friendly than 4 or 5 small bottles. Less trips to the store too!
browneyedgirl is offline   Reply With Quote