Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-19-2007, 02:54 PM   #21
langyork
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Someone Please tell me this is going to get better!! UPDATE POST 17!

teething??

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2007, 06:33 PM   #22
Sirion
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

From your last post (yay for his sleep, btw), it seems that DS had a bedtime around 1 AM? "Slept 6 hours straight through and woke at 7 am." If so, then you might have to switch his bedtime earlier. My DD was a great sleeper until 5.5 months and then, very suddenly, nothing worked anymore. She would cry and cry when I'd try to get her to bed. Her bedtime had been 10:30 PM for the longest time. But then she refused to be comforted or to nurse at that time. Once we finally would get her to sleep, it would only be for 5-6 hours and she wouldn't go back to sleep. When I switched her bedtime earlier (a la Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child), she was magically better and started sleeping 10-11 hours at night, waking only once to nurse. So maybe an earlier bedtime would help? Sleep deprivation is terrible and I'm so sorry you are experiencing it.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:13 PM   #23
ck510
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like my first. It does get better I promise!! He still isn't the best sleeper but now when he wakes up in the middle of the night he can put himself back to sleep. He would wake up literally every 15 min. from about 3 weeks on until he was about 5 months old. We found out at his 2 month appointment he had bad reflux and he was put on Zantac. It didn't work so we switched to a natural remedy after that which helped out so much more. By that time though he was so used to getting up so much he would just wake up even if nothing was wrong. Finally at a year he started sleeping better. We switched him to a crib (from our bed) and he only woke up once or twice and would fall back asleep pretty fast. I really think he is the kind of kid who needs his own space. He will not sleep in our bed even if he has nightmares. It will get better though I promise! Do you have someone who can look after him for a little bit during the night? Dh would take ds as long as he could in the night (usually until around 2/3 am) That helped out so much.
ck510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:31 PM   #24
momtojande
Registered Users
Formerly: JonsMommy

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishmommy View Post
I would also look again at your diet. I also had to cut out ALL dairy from my diet for DD. It was about the time she was starting cereal (6-7 months) and so I started using soy formula for her cereal or breast milk (I had replaced my dairy with soy) and then I found out she was allergic to soy as well. So, you never really know what can be the culprit. She was fine with the dairy up to that point, but it was like night and day when I stopped it.
Sorry to hijack, but those of you recommending a diet change -- was your LO happy during the day like the OP describes? Because I'm going through the same thing recently with DD (8.5 months) -- she's happy and delightful all day, but watch out when it's time for bed. I'd consider eliminating some things if it would help her sleep but I can't understand why she'd be happy all day then?
momtojande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:33 PM   #25
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonsMommy View Post
Sorry to hijack, but those of you recommending a diet change -- was your LO happy during the day like the OP describes? Because I'm going through the same thing recently with DD (8.5 months) -- she's happy and delightful all day, but watch out when it's time for bed. I'd consider eliminating some things if it would help her sleep but I can't understand why she'd be happy all day then?
Yup exactly. It's definitely not my diet.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:21 PM   #26
cjs0405
Registered Users
seller

I'm going through the same exact thing, except my baby is happy even at night when she wakes up. She wants to play! Ugh! She will go to bed at about 7:30 and wake up at 9:00 pm (or tonight woke up at 11) and wants to play for an hour or 2. And when she is sleeping at night its a very restless sleep (we cosleep and have even tried having her sleep in her crib). I think it may be safe to say we have tried everything (except CIO-not comfortable with that). I also hope it gets better. Little sleep makes me crazy!!!!
Old 12-20-2007, 11:40 PM   #27
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the bedtime change, sometimes they sleep badly when they are overtired, as do you! How long does he sleep during the day, and how many times? You mentioned catnaps? Maybe he needs to be awake longer in between sleeps, and a set amount of naps in a day. So at this point, maybe he needs to have two longish naps. Some babies thrive on routine. I also let DS CIO for a bit, sometimes he needed to wind down on his own
daisy0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:08 PM   #28
momof3boys1girl
No Longer Here

My Mood:

I have heard good things about taking your lo to a chiropractor! I would def check into it.
momof3boys1girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:01 AM   #29
ekmaurer3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Someone Please tell me this is going to get better!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis&AbramsMom View Post
Thanks Mamas,

I just don't know what to do anymore. I just don't get it. I'm going to try to let him sleep in the crib today and see how that works. People tell me that because he's not getting enough and that I should give hima bottle or start him on solids but I'm not convinced. I'm definitely not going to wean him. I just don't know what else to do. It's hard to stay awake during the day when I also have a toddler to care for. I'm so tired and sleep deprived that I can't function anymore.
you are right on with your mommy instincts, solids are not a cure, neither is a bottle of formula. I am sorry but the magic formula bottle is not only irritating if you exclusively BF, but its also not proven.

My DS at 2 1/2 months started the exact same thing and we are still dealing with it now and he is 6 months. He nurses all night and wont sleep alone. he sleeps for maybe 2 hours straight before waking to nurse again.

Last edited by ekmaurer3; 12-22-2007 at 01:11 AM.
ekmaurer3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:07 AM   #30
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:

He's actually doing better. He will not go to sleep early. It's just not going to happen. It's not as easy as saying, "ok today I'm putting him to bed at 8pm" he will not have it and he will fight me. LITERALLY. But he has done better at night. He still wakes up to nurse but he doesn't cry all night like a week ago. It's weird maybe it was just a phase.

What exactly does a chiropractor do?