Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-21-2007, 04:38 PM   #1
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Sooooo frustrated! I wish I never took the crib apart...

As some of you have been reading in my posts, nap and night-time are VERY crazy with my dd. I bought a crib tent because she kept crawling out. This worked out great for months. Then my mom babysat her while I was student teaching and she only took naps in the bed. Needless to say my daughter refused to sleep in her crib after this....
Now she is almost 2 years old and I can't put her down for naps! I tried the lay in bed and relax method and she literally attacked my face like a cat. I tried this for a couple days and all she did was play or beat me up. She is sooo strong willed. I bought her a toddler bed and she will sleep in it at night sometimes with lots of work. I also tried babyproofing the room and putting a gate up. She screamed and cried and finally climbed over the gate! I am sooooo frustrated.
Some of you may be thinking that I am trying to force her to sleep...not the case here because she is so tired. She sleeps really rough at night and gets mad at me if I am in her space...lol. I really wished I had just kept the crib and the crib tent but I think she is too old now, right?
I am pregnant and I am so worried because I NEED a routine (more than my dd does lol). My daughter is wonderful but can be SOOOO wild sometimes!
Please help me!

Advertisement

Old 12-21-2007, 04:47 PM   #2
courtney_adkins05
Registered Users
seller

Re: Sooooo frustrated! I wish I never took the crib apart...

sleeping got really tough for me and dd1 when i was preg with dd2. i was very irritable and she just fed off my feelings and was just as irritable as i was. she still cosleeps so i just gave in to her...really no wonderful advice...i knew she wanted to nurse...and i knew i was ready to throw in the towel. but i had to rethink my strategy
courtney_adkins05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:51 PM   #3
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

she doesn't nurse anymore, the nap thing is a bigger deal because she is sooo miserable until she naps.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:06 PM   #4
mom2madison06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I totally can appreciate the no-nap craziness.

I'm going to get flamed for this, but when she really needs to sleep and is fighting it, bring out the Benadryl/Dimetapp/equivalent. They'll make her just drowsy enough to stop fighting it. Maybe that would help ease her into a routine?

Elizabeth.
DD 7/2006, DSS 4/2008, DSS 3/2010, and Rose arrived after unmedicated birth on 4/9/2017!

mom2madison06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:44 PM   #5
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I dont think I would drug her into sleeping but maybe lay down with her everyday at the same time. If she starts clawing at you and what not just roll on your other side and pretend to sleep?

Im not really sure because I havent had this problem but I do know friends who have had HARD times with kids not sleeping!

HTHs
Old 12-21-2007, 10:51 PM   #6
Irishmommy
Registered Users
seller

Well, at 2 I would have no problem letting her cry it out. We have dd sleeping on a futon in her room with a gate and a door handle protector thingy. She cried the first two nights we left her in there (we lie down with her to help her go to sleep), but now she is sleeping like a champ. We had to do the same thing for nap because she wants to be up playing with her big brother. I lie down with her to help her get to sleep and then just leave her there. If she cries for too long (30+ minutes), I'll just let her out and deal with the consequences of no nap later, but most of the time, she will go to sleep.
Please no flames!
*****No longer anxiously awaiting Aiden - He's HERE!!****
Irishmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:45 AM   #7
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
I dont think I would drug her into sleeping but maybe lay down with her everyday at the same time. If she starts clawing at you and what not just roll on your other side and pretend to sleep?

Im not really sure because I havent had this problem but I do know friends who have had HARD times with kids not sleeping!

HTHs
She gets mad at me when I do that...lol...she scratched my face like a cat.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:06 AM   #8
EmsMom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was going to suggest crying it out too honestly. Maybe she's fighting you so badly now because she knows in the end she'll get more time with you. She's old enough for you to set a routine and she should be able to somewhat understand the course of the day. You could try making a big poster of it and get her really involved in making sure you stick to it. I would baby proof her room and just put her up at nap time, say good night and leave. Read a couple of stories or whatever to help the transition. Good luck!!!!
EmsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:11 AM   #9
mamatutugirls
Registered Users
seller

I know EXACTLY how frusterating this can be OMG I went through this with my 3 year old, she would NOT stay in bed and she was sooo tired and I just felt like this 3 year old was kicking my booty (mentally) She would stay in bed when my husband put her down, which made it even worse that she wouldn't do it for me. We had to do what supernanny suggested and it worked. You just have to keep putting them back in bed over and over and over, sometimes it would be an hour of the same thing. After a couple of days, she got the point that she needs to stay in bed. You MUST remain calm the whole time, she will get tired of climbing out of bed eventually. It is truely very frusterating to know your child is exhausted but fighting sleep
Old 12-22-2007, 07:15 AM   #10
*Katherine*
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I think our DD's are the same age. Mia just transitioned to the big girl bed this week (after climbing out and getting her knee stuck in the slats, so the crib became a safety hazard). Bedtime was easy, but naptime was another story. It was playtime for her. Tuesday and Wednesday, she would not nap, just played in her room. I put her down in her bed and then left the room. If she got up and played, so be it, but once she left the room, I would put her back in bed. Finally yesterday, she took a nap Is her room safe for her to play by herself if she gets out of bed? If not, make that your project today. That was mine on Monday, lol. When Mia had that independent time (whether she napped or not), her crabbiness went away. It's probably going to be a rough few days, but you can get through it!