View Poll Results: How much do you pay for sibling childcare weekly? (toddler/infant...35-40hrs)
$100-$175 10 25.64%
$175-$250 15 38.46%
$250-$325 6 15.38%
other...bc there's always an other.... 8 20.51%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-23-2007, 08:56 AM   #21
whalvo
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Childcare cost question....

In Vermont, we pay about $42/day for dd's daycare. For 4 days per week it's about $165. We're moving to California in a month, though, and are looking at $60-65/day out there. I even talked to one place that charges $85/day! It was in a church too, which really shocked me. That's $1350/month for just 4 days/week.

Advertisement

Old 12-23-2007, 11:57 AM   #22
surecutie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I pay 195 a week for my boy and 160 a week for my 5 year old. With the 10% discount I get on Ayanna it comes up to about 339 a week. It's more per month than my mortgage but worth it for good childcare.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:50 AM   #23
Kanga
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

First off, don't compare yourself to a center, because you're not a center. Centers around here charge ~$200/week. In-home centers charge $100-$150 depending on ratio, licensed/registered status, how nutritious the meals are, activities for kids, and if they do preschool pick-up/drop off. If you base your rates off of local centers, you won't have any clients.

Second, a sense of entitlement to a sibling discount really irks me. (It's one thing to ask but another to demand it). The subsequent siblings are not fed less food, have less crafts, make less messes and given less attention than any other child in the daycare so why someone thinks they should be entitled to a discount is beyond me as it costs the daycare the same amount of $. It's also a risk for the daycare provider. Let's say Mom has 3 kids in a home daycare, and the daycare provider has her own two kids included in her total number she's allowed to watch after. That only leaves one or two other spots and if Mom decides to SAH or something, the provider's salary is cut drastically and she's left scrambling to fill 3 spots in ~2 weeks. I would not and do not give sibling discounts, and would not take more than 2 kids from the same family at the same time. Centers can give sibling discounts because 2 or 3 kids leaving at the same time puts a very minor ding in their income, and they also usually have waiting lists so they can normally fill spots a lot faster. It's beneficial to them because it keeps their clients at their center without the risk a home DCP would have.

ETA - I watch a friend's baby and charge $100/week for 35-40 hrs per week. Sometimes less, sometimes more. Since she's a good friend and has a super easy baby, I charge her less than I normally would. Normally, I'd say $125-$150 since I only have 3 kids here total, including mine.

ISO: GMD workhorse fitteds, Lil Joey, thirsties or similar quality girly newborn AIO, swaddelbees simplex, thirsties duo covers

Last edited by Kanga; 12-24-2007 at 11:54 AM.
Kanga is offline   Reply With Quote