View Poll Results: Should you take away the binky?
Yes, they a child needs some encouragement sometimes 24 48.98%
No, let them stop it when they're ready 19 38.78%
Other (please explain) 6 12.24%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-23-2007, 05:27 PM   #11
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: The great binky dillema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rannensmom View Post
DD is 18 months and still has one, mostly when teething. I don't plan on taking it from her or even thinking of weaning til she has all her teeth. They say not to worry about it much til 3 or 4, so we'll see.
I'll tell you a secret my parents took me off cold turkey at 2...so I discovered my thumb. I was an actively thumb sucking child, adolescent, and I'll admit even teen! DH says when I'm upset he'll catch me in my sleep. Horribly humiliating! So if you do take it, wean slowly!
My friend had this problem! When she took her 1st DS' binky away before #2 was born (to avoid confusion about why baby had a binky and not him) he started sucking his thumb. DS#2 never even TOOK a binky and started sucking his thumb like DS#1 did!!! LOL That idea backfired big time! Can't take a thumb away ya know??

Advertisement

Old 12-23-2007, 06:08 PM   #12
FancifulFanny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I worked for a family that went through this and when she was about 3 they finally had it and cut a bit of the nipple part of the paci away each day, a teeny bit, until she had weaned herself from it. She was really dependent onb it and it worked great - no huge trauma or anything She was extremely intelligent and strong-willed. She was great to be around and she and I had a great time but man, was she strong willed.

Byond that experience, I don't know. My ds rejected the paci when I finally tried it to get some peace - nope, no peace from that either. ~sigh~

Last edited by FancifulFanny; 12-23-2007 at 06:09 PM.
FancifulFanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 08:40 PM   #13
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

12 months is really young, imo. however, we are having a horrid time here with the d@mn things. my boys are in LOVE with their nuks. i had them down to naps and bed -several times- but somehow they keep getting back to during the day. i can hardly stand listening to them talk with them in their mouths, and dh keeps making "going to throw them away" comments. i would love it if we could, but they seem to really depend on them. i don't know. i just wish the nurse has never brought those things in.

sorry to hijack your thread. this is an issue that has been on my mind a lot lately too. i don't know the answer. wish i did. sorry.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:51 PM   #14
Rachaelbee
Registered Users

My Mood:

IMHO 12 months old is too young to take away a comfort item. DD#1 had a harder time giving hers up, she was over two, but not more than 2.5. DD#2 gave hers up at 18months old, I took an old one and tossed it in the trash because I had bought some new ones and she saw that I threw it out and wouldn't take the new one for anything and honestly at 2.5 years old now I wish some days she still took one when she gets all whiney. I would suggest waiting until 2, but around 1.5 limit binky use to naps and bed time.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:51 PM   #15
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

I don't think its fair to take away comfort items from lil babes. I mean its not like your LO is going into kindergarten with her binks.

Mikey turns 2 tomorrow and still very much an active binky user. I like it especially when we are out because if the binky is in his mouth then he isn't sticking random stuff in his mouth. Plus it calms him in the car, at sleep time and when he is being watched by anyone other than me.

I think it can be frustrating when so many mamas (and this is NOT directed at anyone person) believe in breastfeeding forever and letting the child self wean But everyone is so eager to jump and take the bottle and binky away from non-BF'd babes right when they hit 1. Doesn't seem fair to me because they are both comfort things to babies and toddlers I think if its a comfort thing such as boob, bottle, binky, it shoudl be a self weaned thing when the baby is ready
Old 12-24-2007, 12:33 AM   #16
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer23 View Post
I don't believe in taking a child's comfort item away.
I agree!!!!!!!!

My DS just threw his binky away (on his own) about 2 weeks ago! He is 3 1/2yrs old. He knew when he was ready.

I never gave my DD one just because I hate binkys, lol.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:36 AM   #17
Calideedle
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistylaureena View Post
I think it can be frustrating when so many mamas (and this is NOT directed at anyone person) believe in breastfeeding forever and letting the child self wean But everyone is so eager to jump and take the bottle and binky away from non-BF'd babes right when they hit 1. Doesn't seem fair to me because they are both comfort things to babies and toddlers I think if its a comfort thing such as boob, bottle, binky, it shoudl be a self weaned thing when the baby is ready
Who believes in breastfeeding forever? I dont see 30yr olds nursing BFed babies have binks too, its not a non-BFed issue

It must be late, did I read all that wrong?
Old 12-24-2007, 12:52 AM   #18
Corey3739
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistylaureena View Post
I agree with you about not taking away a baby's comfort item, but I think the concern with bottle and binkies (and not with BFing) is that they can do damage to the child's teeth and jaw alignment.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:17 AM   #19
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Studies show that binky use does not cause any dental damage or malformation unless heavy use continues till adult teeth are coming in (usually around 5-6 years) before that binky use is fine. Now if a child over uses it during the day it may lead to verbal delays, but even those are minor and quickly outgrown since it only stops them from practicing speaking, not from learning new vocabulary and receptive language.

All that to say that there really is no good medical reason to take the binky away at 1yr or 2yrs or even three years. It is probably worth while to limit daytime use to only moments of extreme stress, and other than that put binky away in the bed for use at sleeping times. And yes most children will give it up on their own when they are ready, no need for parental pressure. But as parents we feel pushed to take it away because we think people judge our children and in extension us when they see a toddler or heaven forbid preschooler sucking on a bink. Kearnan gave his up on his own at almost 2.5. I had no problem with him continuing to use it. Tharen is weaning as we speak. We did put some pressure on Tharen to wean from his paci only because instead of sucking he was chewing it and he was chewing right threw them, wich of course isn't safe. WE took away his prefered brand and gave him a different one which is harder to chew apart. As a result he is giving up the paci, but because he still needs to chew and suck he is now thumb sucking. I don't really care either way to be honest, wether thumb or paci, but I know that thumb sucking is harder to curb later when it could cause dental problems. BUt I didn't feel like we realy had much other option at this point. I can't risk him choking on a piece of chewed off paci.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 01:20 AM   #20
mistylaureena
I saw Elvis. He sat between me and Bigfoot on the UFO
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calideedle View Post
Who believes in breastfeeding forever? I dont see 30yr olds nursing BFed babies have binks too, its not a non-BFed issue

It must be late, did I read all that wrong?
LOL.....I didnt mean literally FOREVER.. I mean extended longer than a year. I AGREE with it though. I believe its a Beautiful thing that a mama could and would BF her child for as long as the child wants and *needs* that comfort.
But I obviously didnt mean forever --LOL--I get this version of a college student coming home to nurse Sounds like a SNL skit..LOL...

But I do understand they *believe* extended binks messes with teeth, BUT I guess I just don't fully believe that though. My lil brother used his binky until 4 and bottle until almost 3 and he has the straightest teeth in the family.