Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,647
Now Asthma! Any quiet or slient nebulizer machines?

We just got home from the hospital a night ago because ds1 was taken to the ER the morning after Christmas. He spent almost a week in and 4 of those were in Pediatric Intensive Care. He has a ton of allergies, but has never had any problems breathing {well that wasn't an allergic reaction} or any asthma symptoms. He got a runny nose Christmas Day and by that night {early in the am about 3am} he woke up sick. He went back to sleep but woke up once more before the morning. When we got up he was really having a hard time breathing... to make a long story short he had a severe asthma attack that took days to come out of. He was having continious breathing treatments that were not helping at all. They added helium also. They have sent us home with the rescue inhalers and a ton of meds. The nebulizer machine is too loud for his sensory issues so I am not sure what to do. We are supposed to call the Ped tomorrow and set up an appointment. {We just moved here so new ped.} I am wondering what you do for your sensory issues child who needs to have a breathing treatment at home but can't stand the loud noise the machines make. Surely there are quieter machines right? If so, does anyone know where I can find one for him. I need it before a crisis pops up again.

Thanks so much!
__________________
Kaydee- Mama to: G{21},G{17]B{8},B{5}and Born-sleeping, AngelBaby,who is in our hearts forever! Abigail Neveah{Feb 23, 2007}
ClothDiaperingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,647
Re: Now Asthma! Any quiet or slient nebulizer machines?

Anyone?
__________________
Kaydee- Mama to: G{21},G{17]B{8},B{5}and Born-sleeping, AngelBaby,who is in our hearts forever! Abigail Neveah{Feb 23, 2007}
ClothDiaperingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
kadiera
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 248
My Mood:
Re: Now Asthma! Any quiet or slient nebulizer machines?

Ultrasonic nebulizers are a lot quieter (the things they sell as "quiet" nebs right now are a joke). Most insurance companies won't pay for them, but they can be found new online (ebay in particular) for $30-$50. You'll still have to have a prescription to get it, but it's better than the loud obnoxious things they try to pass off as portable.
__________________
wife to B (5/20/2000), and mom to A, born 6/08 @ 27 weeks
~~9.5 months in the NICU, trach/g-tube, but now running around and otherwise healthy~~~
kadiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #4
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,647
Re: Now Asthma! Any quiet or slient nebulizer machines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadiera View Post
Ultrasonic nebulizers are a lot quieter (the things they sell as "quiet" nebs right now are a joke). Most insurance companies won't pay for them, but they can be found new online (ebay in particular) for $30-$50. You'll still have to have a prescription to get it, but it's better than the loud obnoxious things they try to pass off as portable.
The one they gave us at the hospital is so loud that it bothers me! I can pretty much put up with most things but that thing makes me feel nervous. I will definitely check those out. We don't mind paying for one because the one he has now he won't use. I honestly don't blame him.
Thanks again for your help!
__________________
Kaydee- Mama to: G{21},G{17]B{8},B{5}and Born-sleeping, AngelBaby,who is in our hearts forever! Abigail Neveah{Feb 23, 2007}
ClothDiaperingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
Green.Mommy
Banned
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,250
My Mood:
Re: Now Asthma! Any quiet or slient nebulizer machines?

I dont know of any but I wanted to give you a !
I know how hard this all is when it seems like its one thing after another.
Green.Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 8,647
Re: Now Asthma! Any quiet or slient nebulizer machines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green.Mommy View Post
I dont know of any but I wanted to give you a !
I know how hard this all is when it seems like its one thing after another.
Thanks mama! I should be so thankful that things aren't worse as I know many moms whose LOs are far worse off. I guess I was just having a pity party after sitting in Intensive Care for days with him not responding to any of the meds or things they were doing. He has never had any Asthma symptoms or problems so it was a complete shock. I honestly was afraid he would die because he was so bad off and nothing was working for so long.

I felt better having the nebulizer at home, but he won't go near it. I am just hoping that some company makes a silent or almost silent one so that he doesn't end up in the ER every time. We are going to discuss it with the drs next week. I am hoping they can find us one even if we have to pay out of our own pockets. His sensory issues are pretty bad and he needs the nebulizer at home.

Thanks again for the hugs! Sending you lots of them too mama!!!
__________________
Kaydee- Mama to: G{21},G{17]B{8},B{5}and Born-sleeping, AngelBaby,who is in our hearts forever! Abigail Neveah{Feb 23, 2007}
ClothDiaperingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
kadiera
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 248
My Mood:
Re: Now Asthma! Any quiet or slient nebulizer machines?

Also, you may want to ask your doctor about getting a "spacer" - a thing that goes between the inhaler and your mouth, so even fairly young children can use an inhaler rather than a nebulizer most of the time.

I was just poking around online, and it looks like neb prices have gone up a bit, but an ultrasonic is still a lot quieter than a compressor, and is a lot more portable - sometimes even battery powered, so it can be used anywhere.

From my own experience, and experiences with my son, I'd also highly recommend getting a referral to a pulmonologist or an allergist - someone who specializes in breathing issues - so you can come up with a good plan to help you and your son avoid the ER.
__________________
wife to B (5/20/2000), and mom to A, born 6/08 @ 27 weeks
~~9.5 months in the NICU, trach/g-tube, but now running around and otherwise healthy~~~
kadiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
mismaggie
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Central Valley,Ca
Posts: 3,035
My Mood:
Re: Now Asthma! Any quiet or slient nebulizer machines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadiera View Post
Also, you may want to ask your doctor about getting a "spacer" - a thing that goes between the inhaler and your mouth, so even fairly young children can use an inhaler rather than a nebulizer most of the time.

I was just poking around online, and it looks like neb prices have gone up a bit, but an ultrasonic is still a lot quieter than a compressor, and is a lot more portable - sometimes even battery powered, so it can be used anywhere.

From my own experience, and experiences with my son, I'd also highly recommend getting a referral to a pulmonologist or an allergist - someone who specializes in breathing issues - so you can come up with a good plan to help you and your son avoid the ER.
Absolutely, I think ours is called an "Aero-Chamber" it made all the difference for my sons rescue inhaler. I know there are maintenance meds that have to go in a nebulizer though. Ours is a regular machine but it's really not very loud. I think it varies from machine to machine because our last one was super loud I hope you get it all worked out mama. BIG to you and your little one.
mismaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
kadiera
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 248
My Mood:
Re: Now Asthma! Any quiet or slient nebulizer machines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mismaggie View Post
I know there are maintenance meds that have to go in a nebulizer though.

Actually....it depends on the age of the child, but until fairly recently, *most* maintenence meds weren't available by nebulizer, they were inhaler only. It used to be (when I was little) that the only thing they could offer parents was albuterol *syrup* for kids to drink (and boy....talk about making a kid hyper....). Then albuterol and/or intal in a nebulizer was the best they could do.

Pulmicort is the only inhaled steriod available by neb right now, and it's only been in the last 10-15 years that you could get it that way - I keep waiting for their patent to run out so I don't spend so darn much money on it
__________________
wife to B (5/20/2000), and mom to A, born 6/08 @ 27 weeks
~~9.5 months in the NICU, trach/g-tube, but now running around and otherwise healthy~~~
kadiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:50 PM   #10
Green.Mommy
Banned
seller
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,250
My Mood:
Re: Now Asthma! Any quiet or slient nebulizer machines?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClothDiaperingMama View Post
Thanks mama! I should be so thankful that things aren't worse as I know many moms whose LOs are far worse off. I guess I was just having a pity party after sitting in Intensive Care for days with him not responding to any of the meds or things they were doing. He has never had any Asthma symptoms or problems so it was a complete shock. I honestly was afraid he would die because he was so bad off and nothing was working for so long.

I felt better having the nebulizer at home, but he won't go near it. I am just hoping that some company makes a silent or almost silent one so that he doesn't end up in the ER every time. We are going to discuss it with the drs next week. I am hoping they can find us one even if we have to pay out of our own pockets. His sensory issues are pretty bad and he needs the nebulizer at home.

Thanks again for the hugs! Sending you lots of them too mama!!!

You have every right to have a pity party! No parent should ever have to have a child in the ICU, its horrible!
I hope his asthma stays under control for you!
Green.Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2018 VIX-WomensForum LLC. All Rights Reserved.