Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-19-2011, 05:07 PM   #1
mother_04_07
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question Nursing with lacthing / nipples issues NEWBABY2.17.11

would really like any helpful hits to git baby Ashlyn to nurse at the breast

Ashlyn was born 2/17/2011

Large busted (DDD)F/G (milk is not in yet)
Nipples don't like to git hard enough to really stick out to , to stick in the baby's mouth ...uggg

She will git a good latch and suck a few times and then will and pull away then have to start all over to git the nipple back in her mouth

express some clostrom and she lacthes but does the same thing

then using the football hold , she lacths better on the right side vs the left

have tried to hold her across the body where she is git her body/tummy laying in front of the other breast with trying to feed her on the right boob

Do have a new Medela Pump In Style Advanced On-The-Go Tote Breastpump

Product Description
The Medela Pump In Style Advanced - The On-The-Go Tote is a daily use, double, electric breastpump designed for moms who pump several times a day. All Pump In Style Advanced breastpumps offer portable convenience for quiet and discreet pumping. An adjustable speed/vacuum dial lets you choose the most comfortable setting, and the battery pack lets you pump anywhere at any time. Create more milk in less time with 2-Phase Expression technology and pump efficiently with the Maximum Comfort Vacuum option. A PVC-free microfiber tote holds everything you need to pump, including a removable cooler bag with a contoured ice pack that can keep milk cool for up to 12 hours. All parts of the pump that come in contact with breast milk are BPA free.

Includes: Messenger bag, cooler carrier, battery pack, 5 oz. breastmilk bottles (4), 4 lids, travel cap, wide base slow-flow nipple, 24 mm PersonalFit breastshields (2), 2 valves, 4 membranes, contoured ice pack, instructions and breastfeeding information guide.

The Medela Pump In Style Advanced On-The-Go Tote Breastpump features:

Daily use * double pump * electric
New bag style with extra storage.
Adjustable speed/vacuum dial lets mom choose her most comfortable setting.
Removable PVC-free cooler bag with contoured ice pack keeps milk cool for up to 12 hours.
Battery pack lets mom pump anywhere, anytime. (Optional 9V vehicle lighter adapter available).
More milk in less time with 2-Phase Expression® technology when pumping at Maximum Comfort Vacuum™.

Advertisement

6/02 ~ 7/02~ 12/03 9/04 Born @ 38.0w LifeFlight/NICU/IA defect Surgery #1@3days old,#2 2/06, #3 11/09,#4 6/10,#5 8/10
7/2007born emergency c-section @39.0wIn STOCK Mama Cloth & PAST WORK
mother_04_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #2
2babycakes
Registered Users
seller

Medela makes these nipple covers that help pull your nipples out. They are not nipple shields as you don't use them when lo is eating. I forgot what they are called but it helped a girlfriend of mine.

http://medgrid.medela.ch/CDN/breastf...eastshells.php
Old 02-20-2011, 09:26 AM   #3
mom2ally06
Registered Users
seller

Re: Nursing with lacthing / nipples issues NEWBABY2.17.11

Did you have an epidural? You may want to try something called reverse pressure softening. Your milk is probably increasing in volume by now, and being your 3rd, you have more milk sooner than someone with their first. so I would try that. Also pumping before to draw the nipple out will help. What you are describing is short shanked nipples, they retract when pulled out. I have them, and had to use a shield for the first 4 months, and this is my 3rd baby! you need to create a ridge with the breast, babies dont nipple feed, they breast feed! so take your arm above your wrist and see how it is kind of a ridge? thats what your breast needs to do in order to latch on. ------0------ like that. sorry, its hard to help via internet! well, i hope that helped a little, can you go to the hospitals LC?
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...cotterman.html
Old 02-22-2011, 01:10 PM   #4
mommabot
Registered Users
seller

I know how you feel! My little guy did the same thing. When my breasts got bigger when my milk came in, it flattened my nipples and made it impossible for him to latch on and stay on. This eventually led to awful nipple pain but I refused to give up. I got DH to pick a few up at Target. We've been using them ever since! He will eventually be able to nurse without them with practice and time. If you've tried everything else, maybe give these a shot? HTH!
mommabot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
twolittlebeans
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2babycakes View Post
Medela makes these nipple covers that help pull your nipples out. They are not nipple shields as you don't use them when lo is eating. I forgot what they are called but it helped a girlfriend of mine.

http://medgrid.medela.ch/CDN/breastf...eastshells.php
Just a quick note on these, the LC at the hospital here told me that in her opinion, these don't work as well as the softshell type. I'm not sure what the difference is exactly as I have not seen the Therashell in person but Medella also makes a softshell for inverted/flat nipples. She claims that she has seen better results from the softshell. I use the softshell myself and like I said I have not seen these other ones in person but I just thought I'd pass that along just in case!
Old 02-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #6
katiegud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I had the same issue and just used nipple shields at first. It helped her latch and helped "reform" my nipples. After a couple of weeks she could latch without them. I know a lot of people are anti-nipple shield, but they worked fine for me!