Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-30-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:
How do I nurse a sick toddler?

DS can't breathe out of his nose and is super frustrated at not being able to nurse. I have no idea what to do to help him

We have a humidifier running, I've tried saline to help clear his nose. Any other suggestions?

Advertisement

MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:06 AM   #2
Nishu
Registered Users

Re: How do I nurse a sick toddler?

Have you tried shutting the bathroom door and sitting in there while running a hot shower?
Old 01-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
thrifty917
Registered Users

Ooh hun I've been through this. Steaming up the bathroom and keeping him in there helps, keep in mind that the steam rises so the higher up he is the better. Maybe bring his high chair in and let him play for a while?

Saline drops helped me. How did you use them for him? Spraying when they are standing doesn't usually help as much. Lay him flat on his back and drip several drops down each nostril, and let him stay like that for a few minutes so the saline drops can break up all the gunk in his nose, then use a nasal aspirator and suck it out. You will probably need an extra pair of hands for this task and he might scream bloody murder, but once his nose is clear and he can be happy and nurse it will be worth it.

Good luck!

EDIT: forgot to add, they make Vick's vaporub or Mentholatum for babies and toddlers, maybe some of that on his chest will clear him up??

Last edited by thrifty917; 01-30-2010 at 12:42 PM.
thrifty917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #4
sweetalou22
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

*hugs* That would have to be frusterating, poor little baby. Have you tried nursing him with him sitting towards your breast? Maybe with him sitting up more will help him breathe out of his nose a little more.
sweetalou22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:37 PM   #5
ella belly
Registered Users
Formerly: lovingella
seller

So sorry you've got a sick little one...and how frustrating that he's having trouble nursing when he needs it the most. I agree to try the bathroom/steam idea...maybe taking a bath together.

Sending lots of get well vibes your way.

Follow Ella Belly on Facebook!
ella belly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:13 AM   #6
mrseum
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The steam really does help. My DS has been sick a few times. I'd stand at the back of the tub with him for about 10 minutes, and then afterwards he'd be good to nurse.
E-2.1.14
mrseum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 08:22 AM   #7
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty917 View Post
Ooh hun I've been through this. Steaming up the bathroom and keeping him in there helps, keep in mind that the steam rises so the higher up he is the better. Maybe bring his high chair in and let him play for a while?

Saline drops helped me. How did you use them for him? Spraying when they are standing doesn't usually help as much. Lay him flat on his back and drip several drops down each nostril, and let him stay like that for a few minutes so the saline drops can break up all the gunk in his nose, then use a nasal aspirator and suck it out. You will probably need an extra pair of hands for this task and he might scream bloody murder, but once his nose is clear and he can be happy and nurse it will be worth it.

Good luck!

EDIT: forgot to add, they make Vick's vaporub or Mentholatum for babies and toddlers, maybe some of that on his chest will clear him up??
I'll try laying him flat on his back this morning and putting them in.

We're STILL sick here my poor little guy. He seems to be getting a tiny bit better though, he can nurse for about 30 seconds at a time right now

We tried the shower thing, and that seems to help a little too.

Thanks for the suggestions!
MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #8
EmmaLaurel
Registered Users
seller

We're SO there this week too mama! We do ALL of the above suggestions.

In this order:
Sit in bathroom with hot shower on
SAline drops
Bulb suction (SCREAMING)
Little Noses Nasal drops (recommended by our peds for 3 days max. We had to go to this level, her congestion was so bad.)

The I will nurse her sort of sitting up. She usually still has some mess that she has to work through but then she's good and can nurse fine. We do the shower a few times a day, saline/bulb a couple times.

Humidifiers running, etc... Good luck!
Old 02-02-2010, 10:48 PM   #9
katiematie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This happens every now and then. Usually its just a few days to a week of uncomfortable nursing for both of us. Lots of latching, unlatching to breath, relatching, unlatching again to breath. Steam works a little, nursing right after a hot bath or shower works too, but its usually only temporary. Make sure to keep your child as upright as possible when nursing, that will help with drainage. I would just keep nursing on demand, this will be over soon! Hang in there!
Katie, single mama, BFing, CSing, non-vaxing, CDing, vegetarian mommy to Elijah-7, Aubriana-6, Rowin-4 and baby #4 due August 2012.
katiematie is offline   Reply With Quote