Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 06-21-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
MotherMoonPads
Formerly: KeepYourBabyClose
seller
seller

My Mood:
When is the right time to stop nursing?

Is it when you're just so incredibly overtired that you feel resentful about nursing? Or your nipples are so raw that it HURTS to nurse?

I know I'm new here, but why do I feel this way? DS is almost 10 months old and I'm so ready to stop. He has 8 teeth and he is constantly biting me when he latches on. Almost every nursing session has me in tears.

yet I want to continue because I made a goal to get to a year. I understand the importance of breast milk. I go to LL meetings and a breastfeeding group every week, but I just feel really discouraged right now

Advertisement

MotherMoonPads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:03 PM   #2
leighsah
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: When is the right time to stop nursing?

Have you tried to take him off the breast everytime he bites?? My son (same age as yours and he has 6 teeth) really only bites when he is teething.....and occasionally to get a reaction. I just immediately pull him off and then reoffer the breast.....we continue that pattern until he stops. He gets the idea pretty quickly.....if he really does want to nurse, he will stop biting because he cannot bite and nurse at the same time, KWIM? If he is just playing and not interested in nursing, then I just stop for the time being and try again later.
leighsah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
harvestsmommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighsah View Post
Have you tried to take him off the breast everytime he bites?? My son (same age as yours and he has 6 teeth) really only bites when he is teething.....and occasionally to get a reaction. I just immediately pull him off and then reoffer the breast.....we continue that pattern until he stops. He gets the idea pretty quickly.....if he really does want to nurse, he will stop biting because he cannot bite and nurse at the same time, KWIM? If he is just playing and not interested in nursing, then I just stop for the time being and try again later.
I agree I had a biter. He was my first, I would pull him off and say "ouch,no" and he stopped biting me after a few days of that. And I nursed him the longest out of my 4. 22mos when he finally weened. Everyone gets discouraged while bfing its just part of it. but I encourage you to keep it up.
happy to be married to Dustin 9/21/02 mom to Gabriel 4/7/98 reagan 10/26/03 Harvest 9/2/05 cry: : and Liberty 4/22/07. And coming in January baby #5, It's a girl!! WAHM making leggies, burp cloths, receiving blankets.
harvestsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
MotherMoonPads
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leighsah View Post

Yes, I do take him off the breast everytime he bites. I usually don't even reoffer the breast right away. I make him wait 15 or so seconds, tell him 'no biting' and then reoffer it.

It isn't so much biting on purpose (although he does that too), I think it's just the way he latches on? I'm not exactly sure how to explain that
Old 06-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

My dd didn't get teeth until she was 15months old and it was a major struggle to figure out how to nurse without it hurting SOOO bad. I would make sure was opening up VERY wide and then push my nipple far back into her mouth. She didn't really bite me (only once or twice, I yelled and said no and she didn't do it anymore!) It just hurt because of the way her teeth laid on my nipple. After about 2 weeks we figured it out. I'd make sure he's latching on correctly. If he's nursing he can't bite, it's probably happening when he's either just latching on or getting ready to stop. I read I think on kellymom that you can pull them off a few seconds early to help prevent biting, like maybe when he's only sucking a little and not really interested in it.

((hugs)) to you mommie, I know it's really hard sometimes but you CAN do it if you want. Congrats on making it this far. I hope you can figure it out!! Def. watch his latch. Ice will help the soreness too!
Old 06-21-2008, 09:15 PM   #6
owensmommy
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepYourBabyClose View Post
Is it when you're just so incredibly overtired that you feel resentful about nursing? Or your nipples are so raw that it HURTS to nurse?

I know I'm new here, but why do I feel this way? DS is almost 10 months old and I'm so ready to stop. He has 8 teeth and he is constantly biting me when he latches on. Almost every nursing session has me in tears.
yet I want to continue because I made a goal to get to a year. I understand the importance of breast milk. I go to LL meetings and a breastfeeding group every week, but I just feel really discouraged right now
I would say you feel like stopping bc he has you in tears almost every time he nurses. My 9 mo old twins were biting like crazy when they got their first 2 teeth & it killed I had blisters & cuts I finally learned to make a loud "ouch" sound & pull them off at the first chomp, if they bit really hard. It was scary for them when I would speak loud & quickly pull them away. So, they started nibbling me instead. That did not *hurt* but didn't feel good either, kwim? To that, I responded by blowing lightly in their face, then telling them "NO" in a firm, slightly raised voice. They got the picture & have both quit biting. While they were learning not to bite = old tshirts & lots of lansinoh! HTH & GL!
Old 06-22-2008, 07:00 PM   #7
MotherMoonPads
seller
seller

My Mood:

So I was a little more conscious (I can't spell, sorry! ) about it today. He thought I was joking when I said no and took the breast away. He got a little upset with me, but didn't bite when I gave it back to him.

He also tends to keep his mouth closed when he pulls his head away from my breast, so he's still latched on and just pulls my nipple with him. How do I prevent that?

Thanks ladies
Old 06-22-2008, 07:04 PM   #8
Calliope
Registered Users

Quote:
He also tends to keep his mouth closed when he pulls his head away from my breast, so he's still latched on and just pulls my nipple with him. How do I prevent that?

Thanks ladies
Calliope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #9
jessica_s
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
So I was a little more conscious (I can't spell, sorry! ) about it today. He thought I was joking when I said no and took the breast away. He got a little upset with me, but didn't bite when I gave it back to him.

Thanks ladies
This is the time to keep the pinky "at the ready" that means be ready to break the suction the moment he tries to pull away. You might need to spend a little time in a dark room to really get him to nurse, he sounds distracted so that might help.
Definitely keep telling him no biting, telling him that it hurts you and that you don't want him to do that. You have to do it everytime, without exception. Some babies just take a little longer to get the picture
Is he teething? You might want to offer him a cold wash cloth or something to chew on prior to nursing. His gums might itch or hurt, and he may be taking that out on you unintentionally!
Old 06-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #10
saongiri
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

Thanks ladies
first of all-I know what you ae going through--Jack is a year old and never sleeps--like he's up 7-8times at night and doesn't nap and nurses ALOT. I am always tired and have been pregnant-nursing-pregnant and nursing-nursing for 5years straight!!! I have recently considered weaning but I know in my heart that isn't what I want! I just want a BREAK!!! Weaning won't hep him sleep and nursing is so important to him. een us super pro bfing mamas have our moments.

I tried this with my first ds and it worked but it kind of seems a little mean so be fore warned but instead of pulling him away when he bites pull him into you so his faced is kind of smooshed into you--this way he will need to open up to take a breath and babies don't like this sensation so they quickly learn not to bite (I got this advice from a LLL leader btw)

again--this too shall pass