Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-15-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
motherof3boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
EBF Help needed for 6 1/2 month old

Ok so the last few days have been very hard my 6 1/2 month old DS has always been what I would call a restless nursing baby,pushing against me while still attached very impatient will not relax and so on he will only nurse for like a minute on each side,but still gets satisfied.Well the last 2-3 days he latches on pulls off latches on pulls off screaming sucking his fists and finally my milk lets down and he nurses for a minute and then screams and screams like he is still hungry but he will not stay put to stimulate more milk and he wants to nurse constantly but gets so mad.I don't know what to do..He is my third DS and I have never EBF this long so I am so determined..Please help..Pm please..

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

Re: EBF Help needed for 6 1/2 month old

teething? ear infection?

(nak)
Old 10-15-2008, 09:16 PM   #3
reesesmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like teething to me . . . try some teething tabs. It will help calm him and maybe ease the suckling pain. You can also try a frozen ring before an estimated feeding so that he may be a little numb.

Poor guy! and you

Working Mama, trying to stay on cloth FT
reesesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 07:43 AM   #4
motherof3boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

well my other 2 didn't get teeth until 9-10months so I wouldn't think so I looked and saw nothing, He hasn't been sick at all.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:28 AM   #5
cupcakewright
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Impatients, lol

That was one of mine.

Have you started birth control recently, or has AF come back, could you be Pregnant. All things that could lower your milk supply quickly.

If any of those could be possible there are ways to help, if not then a nurse in sounds liek it is in order. Like 3 days of solid nursing as much as he will, drink tons of water and eat healthy calories, nuts, dried fruit, granola, oatmeal, sandwiches, whatever you like, but keep your calories up for a few days.

Can you wlk and nurse? Sometimes patting babies bottom and walking and singing will distract baby enough until the milk comes in.

DO you have a pump? Can you pump after he eats for a few days to tell your body to step it up?

If you have started birth control recentl, you may want to stop, it may be causeing supply issues.

All that said, it could be delevopmental, is he trying to crawl or something new, sometimes that takes preseident over eating. Teething may be unlikely since the others cut teeth later, but all of mine have been different, from 5.5 months to 9 months?

I hope it gets better soon!
Wife for 20 years to Lance Sr. SAHM, homeschooling mom of 7, 4 boys and 3 little girls, Christian 22 , Lance 18 , Philip 12 , James 10 , Princess Princess Catherine 8 Rainbow Baby Reagan 5, Molly and baby Abigail due in March
cupcakewright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:46 AM   #6
motherof3boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcakewright View Post
Impatients, lol

That was one of mine.

Have you started birth control recently, or has AF come back, could you be Pregnant. All things that could lower your milk supply quickly.

If any of those could be possible there are ways to help, if not then a nurse in sounds liek it is in order. Like 3 days of solid nursing as much as he will, drink tons of water and eat healthy calories, nuts, dried fruit, granola, oatmeal, sandwiches, whatever you like, but keep your calories up for a few days.

Can you wlk and nurse? Sometimes patting babies bottom and walking and singing will distract baby enough until the milk comes in.

DO you have a pump? Can you pump after he eats for a few days to tell your body to step it up?

If you have started birth control recentl, you may want to stop, it may be causeing supply issues.

All that said, it could be delevopmental, is he trying to crawl or something new, sometimes that takes preseident over eating. Teething may be unlikely since the others cut teeth later, but all of mine have been different, from 5.5 months to 9 months?

I hope it gets better soon!
Yeah AF was back for the second time last week since birth,but last month there were no problems,and I have an IUD so no worries there. He wants to nurse all the time he is just really fussy like he is still hungry and pulling off and on and screaming. He learned to crawl last week so I don't know.He has been waking a ton at night so it is really hard w/2 other DS's under 4.I have been trying to pump after feeding him and taking feugreek also.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:26 PM   #7
motherof3boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Old 10-16-2008, 12:40 PM   #8
annya25
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My DS did this when he suffered from reflux pain, and also when teething. Sometimes I pump and offer a sippy, to keep my supply up and keep him fed during the tough times.
annya25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
motherof3boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by annya25 View Post
My DS did this when he suffered from reflux pain, and also when teething. Sometimes I pump and offer a sippy, to keep my supply up and keep him fed during the tough times.
I have been trying to pump after he is done but it is really hard w/2 other LO's
Old 10-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #10
hollydlr
Registered Users
seller

Hang in there mama - sometimes kids just go through stuff like this and after a few days you either figure out whats bothering them, or they get over it. When my DS would get all crazy at the breast like that, I would put him in the sling and stand up to nurse, somehow it helped him settle down. He is going through quite a bit of developmental stuff it seems and maybe he is just distracted and wired from all that. I would just wear him around in a sling as much as possible to allow him as much access to the breast as he wants. If he keeps up the hungry routine and there is NOTHING else you can figure might be bothering him, maybe time to think about adding in a few solids?? You might also benefit from going to a LLL meeting to get a little support and a few more ideas - I know I always feel better about things when I go.