Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-05-2010, 06:59 PM   #31
BoysMama
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Random Pantry Idea Challenge Game

Water Chestnuts- Wrap in Bacon (using a toothpick to secure) Bake on a cookie sheet in the oven at 350 for about 30 min, or until the bacon looks done! I LOVE these and now I want to go make some

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2010, 12:07 PM   #32
amcess721
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Water Chestnuts:
Chicken and Rice Casserole - the ultimate comfort food!
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion chopped
3 cups diced cooked chicken
2 14 oz cans green beans drained and rinsed
1 8oz can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1 4oz can pimentos cut up
2 10oz cans cream of celery or cream of chicken soup
1 cup mayonaise
1 6oz box long grain wild rice (COOKED) or 2 4.5 oz boxes carolina long grain and wild rice
1 cup grated cheddar cheese

Saute onions in butter until tender. Remove and transfer to large bowl. Add all other ingredients to bowl and mix. Pour into 3 quart casserold dish and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.
*For freezing this, I just put it into the 8x8 foil pans and then covered with foil and bagged in 1 gallon freezer bag and right into the freezer.

Canned Pumpkin:
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies (I know there is a thread around here with a ton of different recipes posted)
Pumpkin Bread/muffins (I'm making this today!)
Or..........pumpkin pie

Do you Swag? I do! Click here to join swagbucks! Earn points. Get free stuff!
amcess721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:40 PM   #33
kristiemc4
Registered Users

You guys are great at coming up with lots of different ideas. My mother in-law this summer canned me a bunch of potatoes, but none of my recipes call for canned potatoes. I probably have 12 quarts sitting in my basement. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
kristiemc4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:44 PM   #34
Hands&Fire Pottery
Registered Users
Formerly: hello2000
seller

My Mood:

We used to use canned potatoes when we made "Hobo Meals" on the campfire. Throw some cubed chicken, veggies (peppers, onions, mushrooms, broccoli or whatever), potatoes, pineapple chunks, and maybe some sauce like soy, cream of mushroom soup, or butter in a tin foil packet and bake or place on the coals. Yumm!

I bet you could do tasty oven baked potatoes that way too if you coated them with olive oil and some kind of seasonings- rosemary? onion soup mix?
Hands&Fire Pottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:10 PM   #35
Heyheybaby83
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiemc4 View Post
You guys are great at coming up with lots of different ideas. My mother in-law this summer canned me a bunch of potatoes, but none of my recipes call for canned potatoes. I probably have 12 quarts sitting in my basement. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.
My mom uses the kind of canned potatoes that you can buy in the store and she uses them when she makes a roast in the crockpot. She throws them in in the last 1/2 hour to hour before they eat. I'm not sure if they're the same thing or what as I've never canned potatoes before!
Heyheybaby83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:25 PM   #36
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiemc4 View Post
Thanks in advance.
My Mom always made something she called Swedish Christmas Potatoes using canned potatoes. You put some butter in a skillet, and once it is melted, add some sugar (brown or white) (no idea about measurements, just a large pat of butter and sprinkle the sugar into the melted butter). If the potatoes are smallish, you can just put them in, if they are large, cut them up. Stir them into the sugar and the butter mixture and then let them simmer for a long time. They will get a gorgeous brown caramel-ly colour and flavour. I love them, but we never have canned potatoes onhand. So delicious.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:36 PM   #37
Geckmumto3
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by apirter View Post
Arborio Rice: Rarebit risotto from Moosewood Simple Suppers Cookbook. REALLY GOOD!

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=197287

My ingredient: mango chutney. Got it at a dinner (2 jars) and don't know what else to do with it except put on rice...
Yes, put that mango chutney on baked brie... Wrap the brie in some pastry, bake it and top with the chutney....

This thread is bad news for my diet.
Geckmumto3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #38
jamiejo
Registered Users
seller

When I have store bought canned potatoes i toss some chicken thighs, frozen green beans, two cans worth of potatoes with the juice in a glass baking dish. Salt and pepper. Bake @350 or 400 till chickens done. Super yum! I'll have to think about the cake flour. I have several yummy cake recipes that call for it but i havent used it since i've gone dairy free for DD.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:27 PM   #39
jamiejo
Registered Users
seller

nak, please excuse my typing
heres my favorite cake flour recipe

cake;
3 eggs
1-2/3 cups sugar, divided
1-1/2 cups milk, divided
3 squares (1ounce ea) unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups cake flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

in a sauce pan, whisk one egg until blended. stir in 2/3c sugar. 1/2c milk and the chocolate. cook and stir over medium heat till chocolate is melted and it just comes to a boil. remove from heat and cool to rom temp.

in a large mixing bowl, cream shortening and remaining sugar until light and fluffy. add remaining eggs, one at a time beating well after each. beat in vanilla. combine flour, baking soda and salt; add to ceamed mixture alternately with remianing milk beating well each time. add chocolate mixture and mix well.

pour into greased and floured 9 in riund cake pans. bake@325 for 25-30 mins till toothpick comes out clean. cool for 10 minutes then remove from pans and cool on wire racks

great with peanut butter cream cheese frosting

Last edited by jamiejo; 02-09-2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: left out milk
jamiejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #40
nrsenadenos
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'll need to check my cupboard...

But for the pumpkin, I have a friend that adds it to cooked oatmeal. Sprinkle with cinnamon and almond slices for a semi-healthy breakfast treat.
And someone NEW coming in October! Plus 2 angels, 8 chickies, 2 ducklings, and a wolfdog.
nrsenadenos is offline   Reply With Quote